Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Club "ban" use of semi-autos & pump actions at club clay shoot

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Do as I say, but not as I do :rolleyes:

It's rather like those stories I've heard about people going into certain un-named supermarkets buying shooting mags to be accosted by the person at the till for cruelty etc.

I'm thinking of a word, begins with H !

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭culchie mick

Remington 105CTi. Fires shells at ones feet.

I do find a lot of PURIST shotgunners hate Semi's.

The RO should be able to run a range with Semi's on the line. Just put them at the end, or further apart.;)
    hi i myself have a pump which i use for clay if you look at the o/u with one trigger thats reddy to fire stright away after the first shot maybe im wroung .......the only one that gives out about the pump and semi are the ones being bet by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

they reallly are irratating when your on a line concentrating on the next shot only to have a shell come across and break concentration!! but without the semi auto guys going to shoot for the day and part money there would be very little income to the ground, so they really are needed at flappers..

the only unsafe thing would be lads walking around with the breach closed with no1 knowing if the gun is loaded or not. i've seen a couple of lads get thick when questioned about the safety of their semi but its only right to question these people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If you read the rules all that it says is that you cannot inconvenience or disturb the shooter next to you.

Semis are popular at English sporting, (One man one cage) they are popular for single shot down the line (an American take on DTL where you have one shot). Look at some of the trap barrels you can get, a semi is as dangerous as the over and under, its the nut behind the but. I have an over and under for clays but I use my semi for all game and skeet shooting.

There is a snobbery that with some is so pervasive that one of these days someone is going to say you cant shoot clays unless:

1 your skeet vest is a castellani and it cost at least 250
    2Your safety glasses are x and unless they cost you at least €300 dont even start
    3. Your hearing protectors must be slimline and active at least €150
    4. Cartridges at least €200 per thousand
    5. Gun over and under to a value of not less than €2500 preferably branded model by perazzi, Beretta etc
    6. Membership of the local clay club minimum €250 pa
    7. Membership of ICPSA and dont dare look else where or your not a real clay shooter
    7. 15 lessons at €55 per pop and still your only ever going to be a class c

The recession is a great leveler, few of these exist anymore, but you will see the lad with the semi and the old s/s shooting 50 clays in your local grounds or at the flapper. Question is who do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kemen wrote: »
    they reallly are irratating when your on a line concentrating on the next shot only to have a shell come across and break concentration!! but without the semi auto guys going to shoot for the day and part money there would be very little income to the ground, so they really are needed at flappers..

the only unsafe thing would be lads walking around with the breach closed with no1 knowing if the gun is loaded or not. i've seen a couple of lads get thick when questioned about the safety of their semi but its only right to question these people

Breech flag and therefore no need to ask.
    My shells go out the bottom as I have a double down action. Load and unload via the bottom.

My only problem is she only likes expensive shells.

Jams with Dirty Diana's
    But will Cycle Remington, Eley, & RC all day long just to name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

kemen wrote: »
    they reallly are irratating when your on a line concentrating on the next shot only to have a shell come across and break concentration!! ...................

DTL & ABT I assume you're referring to?

I don't shoot DTL or ABT with a semi as I remove the 2nd cartridge if I don't fire it, for safety reasons.

Most sporting shooting it's grand :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

shedd7 wrote: »
    Tell you what,next time you go to any form of competition,why not not just tell whoever is in charge that you don't like their rules and you will do it your way:rolleyes: I'm sure they will be happy to let you take part. I would really love to hear from anyone out there who has tried this and got away with it. I really don't think the SO is doing this just for the hell of it, there may be good reasons which we are not aware of. Perhaps NARGC members on here should consider the serious (stupid) accidents which occurred in the last year,one person with a leg amputated below the knee because of a friends carelessness,one person who lost the sight of an eye because of basic failure to follow simple rules while out shooting and another serious injury due to another breach of basic safety rules. I say,well done that Safety Officer, being proactive instead of apologising after some knucklehead with a semi/pump action does someone a serious injury.Oh by the way, I own a p/a myself, and would not be irritated if prohibited from entering a competition,whether club or not. When it comes to shooting,safety must come first at all times,even if it annoys a few people.

You've said it yourself; accidents due to neglecting basic safety procedures.

Can you please point out what technical aspect of the construction or working of a semi-automatic or pump-action shotgun makes those types of firearms impossible to handle safely ?

As simple as can be; don't carry it ready to fire or giving the appearance of being ready to fire unless you're up on the firing point about to call for your target. Same as you would with a single shot or a double.

And the same as with a conventional break barrel carried with cartridges in the barrel(s) but the gun open you can carry a semi or a pump with the magazine loaded but the bolt racked back and the chamber empty.

So long story short; carry pumps and semi's with the bolt racked back showing safe and only make ready when it's your turn to call a target and fire. In that way nobody is in a position to argue that the gun would be in any way unsafe.

One little thing I'd like to add is that you should do a visual check of the chamber as a last action during unloading as extractors are not 100% guaranteed to work all the time on every gun. Just a little extra precaution in the little book of just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

One of my NARGC affiliated gun clubs following a proposal by it's new safety officer, who is a registered gun dealer, has banned the use of semi-auto & pump action shot guns at a club clay shoot for "safety reasons" :eek:

Any comments, suggestions or possible legal options/implications?

Bunny,
    Does the dealer sell shotguns? Autos or just sxs and o/u?

If autos, I would (perhaps, will) go in and inquire about a semi. Let on that you want to buy it and then ask if there are any restrictions at the local shoot.

Maybe he is a purist and believes in the doubles?

Maybe he only sells the doubles and is looking out for business.

FISMA wrote: »
    Bunny,
    Does the dealer sell shotguns? Autos or just sxs and o/u?

He sold a friend of mine a semi
    If autos, I would (perhaps, will) go in and inquire about a semi. Let on that you want to buy it and then ask if there are any restrictions at the local shoot.

Will PM details as if i put 'em here he might be tipped off ;)
    Maybe he is a purist and believes in the doubles?

Could be, I think he uses a s/s
    Maybe he only sells the doubles and is looking out for business.

More than likely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

One of my NARGC affiliated gun clubs following a proposal by it's new safety officer, who is a registered gun dealer, has banned the use of semi-auto & pump action shot guns at a club clay shoot for "safety reasons" :eek:

Any comments, suggestions or possible legal options/implications?

If it's a safety issue with regard to the number of cartridge's you load you can buy a plug to limit capacity to two shell's . If it's a problem with empty shell's being thrown too far you can install a shell catcher on your shotgun (See youtube -;" Multi catch shell catcher" or Google Multicatch.com

• Advertisement

Ban was overturned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

cruisedub1 wrote: »
    If it's a safety issue with regard to the number of cartridge's you load you can buy a plug to limit capacity to two shell's . If it's a problem with empty shell's being thrown too far you can install a shell catcher on your shotgun (See youtube -;" Multi catch shell catcher" or Google Multicatch.com

Very handy, if only they sold outside the states

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

Remington 105CTi. Fires shells at ones feet.

Providing it recycles in the first place ! :eek:

Friend of mine had the Rem 105CTi and he was constantly effin and blinding at clay shoot - with lighter loads it was constantly jamming. Having said that I put a few carts through it myself (albeit heavier ones) and must say I was very impressed by the soft recoil . Did you have any recycling issues with your gun Tack or was my friend just unlucky with his one ? It drove him mad in the end and he couldn't wait to get shot of it (pardon the pun):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Providing it recycles in the first place ! :eek:

Friend of mine had the Rem 105CTi and he was constantly effin and blinding at clay shoot - with lighter loads it was constantly jamming. Having said that I put a few carts through it myself (albeit heavier ones) and must say I was very impressed by the soft recoil . Did you have any recycling issues with your gun Tack or was my friend just unlucky with his one ? It drove him mad in the end and he couldn't wait to get shot of it (pardon the pun):D

It does not like Diana's at all.

It will fire any remington shell all day long.
    the brass on teh cheap shells seems to swell and not want to eject.

I use it mainly as a game gun so no big deal.
    And yes she is VERY mild to shoot

Advertisement