Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car service

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

anyone know the best value location to get my car serviced in D15..it has to be ona saturday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

discount tyres

http://www.discounttyres.ie/servicing.html

basic service from € 65 it says

they only charged me 62 and they did it while i waited - great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

James. wrote: »
    discount tyres

http://www.discounttyres.ie/servicing.html

basic service from € 65 it says

they only charged me 62 and they did it while i waited - great value

Anyone else recommend these? Mine is due a service soon too and their prices look reasonable but I just want to make sure they do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolutely recommend them..have used them since we moved to Blanch 6 years ago. Services, repairs, tyres. Great guys, they don't try to rip you off and don't patronise either. Highly recommend! (no connection, just a happy customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Another +1 for Discount Tyres, anytime I get a service there they even wash my car for me afterwards. They also once fixed my exhaust for me for nothing when I thought I had broken the catalytic converter and it turned out only a bit of the pipe had come loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Might give them a shout then.

How long does a service take by the way? It's just that they're in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing else nearby and I'll have no way of going anywhere so I'll have to stick around. Is there a place I can sit and wait while they do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Might give them a shout then.

How long does a service take by the way? It's just that they're in the middle of an industrial estate with nothing else nearby and I'll have no way of going anywhere so I'll have to stick around. Is there a place I can sit and wait while they do it?

They are just inside the main entrance to rosemount business park, theres a seated area with tea/coffee and a tv(or there was when i was in there years ago), after that the dreamcatcher cafe is 10 minutes walk(you need to check if they are open on Saturdays to be sure)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sorry Chuck & jefk, I had to delete your posts as the post from sweetcheeks was removed. We are always wary of users who sign up simply to rant about a local business.

I thought as much when I seen a 2009 sign up with one as a post count .

My reply was fair criticism .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Just be careful as to what a "service" is -

Oil and oil filter and air filter you could do yourself so easily in 30 mins (google it)
    Spark plugs and fuel filter are a little more difficult

But if your getting one done compare like with like - how many things they are going to do in your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I can confirm, good service, i get over there new exhaust, tyres, shock absorbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

+1 on the Discount Tyres recommendation. Book way in advance if you want a good Saturday time. They are great for deals on if you need a few jobs done like multiple tyres, brake sets, filters etc outside of the routine minor service items. Dont be afraid to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My whole family just got all our cars (like we have a fleet - only 3!) in Atlas, on a Saturday - where the Renault garage used to be in Coolmine. Dropped us all home, and picked us up when finished. Also can walk to the Centre. Great value. All 3 passed the NCT last week. What I liked was they rang - I needed new wipers and they offered me a) branded and (b)a cheaper option...I do tiny mileage.

I also use a local guy in Blanchardstown Village - Aidan English and have dircted lots there, but he doesn't do SAturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

amtc wrote: »
    My whole family just got all our cars (like we have a fleet - only 3!) in Atlas, on a Saturday - where the Renault garage used to be in Coolmine. Dropped us all home, and picked us up when finished. Also can walk to the Centre. Great value. All 3 passed the NCT last week. What I liked was they rang - I needed new wipers and they offered me a) branded and (b)a cheaper option...I do tiny mileage.

I also use a local guy in Blanchardstown Village - Aidan English and have dircted lots there, but he doesn't do SAturdays.

I had to bring my car for a pre-NCT check today, had to get it towed to the garage from my house as the tyres were all flat (was off the road for a while.) The tow-truck driver was a local man, I mentioned Atlas but said that I'd be open to other recommendations ... he said he used to suggest Atlas to his customers but stopped because there were a few incidences when his customers got back to him afterwards, to say that Atlas had gone ahead and done a load of expensive work without telling them in advance, then landed them with a massive bill afterwards.

He suggested Coolmine Motors, he said he brings cars there regularly and most people he knows do too (he's a local man, and used to run a garage in Blanchardstown himself.) I got a good impression when we left the car off - the mechanic was very polite and friendly, said that they'd do a pre-NCT for €40 and he outlined exactly what was included for that price, and he said he'd ring me then to discuss any further work that needed to be done - and he stressed that they wouldn't do anything without checking with me in advance.

They're open Saturdays too.

Coolmine motors rings a bell

Heres a post I put up on them back in 2011
    “I went out this morning and priced the servicing.
    Coolmine Motors wanted €130 and had to be pushed to give me a small piece of information on what they do.”

For me if your a potential customer you should be made feel your business matters and they want the work off you. Maybe they do great work, but if its hard to get served/find out what they do and at what price and then told leave the car and it should be ready in x time, then I walk away and go somewhere they want the business.

All peoples opinion and im sure we all have recommended once place or another until we had a bad experience or felt we where hard done by.

jeffk wrote: »
    Coolmine motors rings a bell

Heres a post I put up on them back in 2011
    “I went out this morning and priced the servicing.
    Coolmine Motors wanted €130 and had to be pushed to give me a small piece of information on what they do.”

For me if your a potential customer you should be made feel your business matters and they want the work off you. Maybe they do great work, but if its hard to get served/find out what they do and at what price and then told leave the car and it should be ready in x time, then I walk away and go somewhere they want the business.

All peoples opinion and im sure we all have recommended once place or another until we had a bad experience or felt we where hard done by.

And, you know, I actually came across that same post by you when I was looking for a garage in the area, several months ago!

What put me at ease was that, straight away, without me asking, he listed out exactly what was included in the cost, and told me that if other work was necessary, he'd ring in advance.

Who knows - I may well be back here b*tching about what a shoddy job was done by them. :o Initial impressions were very very good, though.

Perhaps they've improved since when you were there.

And, you know, I actually came across that same post by you when I was looking for a garage in the area, several months ago!

What put me at ease was that, straight away, without me asking, he listed out exactly what was included in the cost, and told me that if other work was necessary, he'd ring in advance.

Who knows - I may well be back here b*tching about what a shoddy job was done by them. :o Initial impressions were very very good, though.

Perhaps they've improved since when you were there.

There has been a few threads on the issue, such a large area we live in and so many car places, but people have yet to ever really agree on one or two places.

Maybe he seen my post and changed his ways ;)

If that’s what he does now then that’s good and it puts peoples mind at ease, especially with a service, which is a great mystery as to what is and isn’t done.

Hopefully you wont be and we can add them to the list of places to go for car work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I can 100% stand over AG autos, ballaycollin industrial estate...

087-6688979

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've been using Coolmine Motors for a few years. I was doing a massive amount of driving for a couple of years so my car was serviced twice a year. I've never had an issue with them. They always call if something needs to be done and they're nice people. I've never had an issue with finding out what they were going to do for my money.

In discount tyre this morning , a fiver to supply and change a bulb , in and out in five minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had to bring my car for a pre-NCT check today, ...

You shouldn't need to do something called a Pre-NCT check. How much was it? vs letting the NCT find the faults.
    jeffk wrote: »
    In discount tyre this morning , a fiver to change a bulb , in and out in five minutes

Why would you need someone to change a bulb. It wasn't a megane was it?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to do something called a Pre-NCT check. How much was it? vs letting the NCT find the faults.

Why would you need someone to change a bulb. It wasn't a megane was it?

No its a Toyota Corolla and sure for the price or why not get someone to do it?

As someone says I have shovel hands and that doesn’t go well with modern cars, then on the back of the head light there is two clips to hold on a sealing cap and the last time it was a nightmare as one of them came off.

I looked up changing the reg plate bulb and it said about taking off some cover on the boot, so I said im not messing with possible clips etc

Why. Because there's a general trend for people not to do the simplest of jobs, and be unaware of basic maintenance which is leading to manufacturers making it harder for people to do DIY and be charged small fortunes for jobs which should be simple. The Megane is famous for its light bulbs for example.

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_to_Replace_a_Headlight_bulb_in_a_Renault_Megane

Also it leads to things like the Pre NCT which shouldn't be needed, as people should be aware of most of the walkaround items, and everything else should be caught by their usual service. Of course people don't know what a "service" is or the schedule in their cars handbook. Which is follows on my first point about people not being aware of basic maintenance of a car.

If you're Wreck it Ralf then fair enough.
    http://www.empireonline.com/images/uploaded/wreck-it-ralph-box-office.jpg

I agree when people go into halfords a pay a fiver for someone to do it or do a pre nct , put it through and let them tell you whats wrong.

I got the a bulb changed in headlight and the mechanic had to do something as the connector had burned out. Now you imagine that on your own , I wouldn't know how to fix a connector.

I used to change all the bulbs on my punto , that was a piece of piss to change. The light units came out , you changed the bulb and screwed the unit back in.

As I said the last time I changed a light on the Corolla , one of the clips came off and I spent ages and had to dig it into my finger to clip it back in.

So its not like i couldn't be arsed or never done it before. Infact id rather people paid someone than didn't do it at all.

Oh and if you havent seen it , check out wreck it Ralph , a great film full of game references ;)

Yes Felix.

Yes Felix.

?

ah right

now im lost what thats got to do with me ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What's it got to do with car servicing for that matter? Try to keep it on topic please.

• Advertisement

It would've cost me €99 for an NCT. €55 for the test, and €22 x 2 because I'd cancelled two previous tests at the last minute.

It cost €40 for the pre-NCT service. As well as doing all the basics, he did up a comprehensive list of everything that would be needed for the car to pass the NCT, along with prices. He spent time going through it with me in detail when I went to collect the car today - even though I'd already made it clear to him that I wasn't going to get anything done. He even advised me not to, said I'd be better off to sell it (which I'd already decided on, anyways, as it happens.)

I ended up selling the car today for a few hundred euro.

So, in my case, it was well worth my money to have the garage check it rather than sending it for the test. Saved a few euro!

If I do get another car, would definitely go there again. They seem very honest and trustworthy, and they're not over-priced.

Advertisement