Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Most Recognisable Quality Red Wine?

• 21-07-2010 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hope this thread is ok, if not I'm sorry Mods!

I have to make a cake of a bottle of red wine in a presentation box for a wine lover's 50th birthday, I know nothing about wine, can anyone tell me what would be the best red wine bottle/label for me to recreate?

If it was champagne it'd be so easy, I'd just pick Dom Perignon and it'd be fine, but I am clueless about wine, want something instantly recognisable but also a wine that a wine lover will appreciate.

I'd be very grateful for any help on this!

Spadina
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You could try a Chateau d'Yquem with a date of 1960.

Would be kinda cool cause its the most celebrated house of sweet white wine, a true classic. Plus the bottle would be still very good now - they last a long time. Also sweet wine, is often for desert purposes - like cakes!

Only problem is that the label is not so incredibly distinctive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Thanks enda1, but it has to be red wine.

And yeah I thought about doing a 1960 wine but the labels aren't very distinctive so far from what I've seen, more modern ones seem to be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Hi Spadina,

Google images for Ch Mouton Rothschild - they have a different label for each vintage and any wine lover should recognise this wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

As suggested by Desk1, something like Mouton Rothschild could work. Another very recognizable (and easier to ice) label is Latour

Thanks guys, this is brilliant, was beginning to give up hope before this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

How about Chateau Petrus (very famous Pomerol, something like 1961 which was a great vintage within living memory)? It says PETRUS in big letters across the label so would be easy to ice... at a guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chateau Lynch Bages is always popular amongst Irish wine people because of the obvious Irish name.
    It is also a top rated Bordeaux.
    90675d.jpg

And as far as I can tell, the label has remained the same since 1960

Thanks everyone, I think I might go with the Ch Mouton Rothschild, even I have recollections of hearing of that name and the label is quite distinctive, so it's a good choice yeah?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you know nothing about wines, it might be helpful to point out that a bottle that states it's a Grand Cru Classé is going to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Petrus

Or Piat D'or (if they like a joke!)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help everyone, here is the finished cake with 1960 Rothschild label, obviously had to use some artistic licence with what was on the label but you get the idea! Thanks again.

4818438413_aa060f09f3.jpg

4818442051_7ee2ea2460.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 spaceoddity

Spadina wrote: »
    Thanks for your help everyone, here is the finished cake with 1960 Rothschild label, obviously had to use some artistic licence with what was on the label but you get the idea! Thanks again.

Looks great!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fantastic.!:D

I hope she wasn't waiting for you to produce the bottle of wine too!!

Advertisement