Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Slugs

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi,

I used to be able to get these a few years ago in Smiths in Newry but can seem to source them North or South anymore for a 12 Bore shotgun.

Any ideas where I could pick them up.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Restricted ammo here now not quite sure what you have to do to get them legally :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

hmmmmmmmmmmm should have stocked up as they were great in my maverick bolt action shotgun for target shooting...

Aww well :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'd have been in possession of unlicenced ammunition if you had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Salvation wrote: »
    Hi,

I used to be able to get these a few years ago in Smiths in Newry but can seem to source them North or South anymore for a 12 Bore shotgun.

Any ideas where I could pick them up.?

What would you use slugs for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    You'd have been in possession of unlicenced ammunition if you had!

Theoretically would the owner not be covered by the grandfather clause as they were bought legally under licence.

Same as current pistol owners have large cal pistols?
    What does a chap do who bought them prior to 2007?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's no such clause Tackleberry. The rule about centerfire pistol licencing is called grandfathering, yes, but there's no actual bit in the Act giving a general "you did this before the change so you're fine now" amnesty, it's purely about pistol licences.

If you bought some pre-2007 and they're still lying about, well, you're in violation of the act until you no longer have possession of them. Hand 'em back in to your local RFD. Wouldn't advise firing them off though, because (a) some ranges don't like them at all, and (b) it could raise more hassles for you than it solves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    There's no such clause Tackleberry. The rule about centerfire pistol licencing is called grandfathering, yes, but there's no actual bit in the Act giving a general "you did this before the change so you're fine now" amnesty, it's purely about pistol licences.

If you bought some pre-2007 and they're still lying about, well, you're in violation of the act until you no longer have possession of them. Hand 'em back in to your local RFD. Wouldn't advise firing them off though, because (a) some ranges don't like them at all, and (b) it could raise more hassles for you than it solves.

I said in theory Sparkie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or simply start up a chapter of a recognised BDS disipline of slug paper target shooting.

Plenty of disiplines from this years Phoenix meet booklet from the nasrpc.ie website

T&P shotgun [0734],Multi target SG[1134],BDMP embassy cup SG pump action[3335]
    BDMP embassy cup SA[3336] 100/200 yards SG[5334]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement