Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawyer recommendation

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,

Hubby and I are in the process of adopting in the UK. Two siblings have being identified and we are hoping to proceed with this match :). Things are slightly complicated by the fact that we now live in Ireland and we have been advised to get legal representation as a source of advice and to ensure the adoption will be legal/recognised here.

I was wondering if anyone on here could recommend a lawyer who deals with inter-country/Irish adoptions?

Many thanks
    Hellen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Maybe run this question by Trish over in the IAA, she may be able to recommend somebody or point you in the right direction...

Trish Connolly [trish@iaaireland.org]
    IAA Administrator
    ph: (01) 499 2206
    fax: (01) 490 3238
    www.iaaireland.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 irish sea

Thanks for the tip bbam, IAA were my first port of call, but they're on holiday until 4 August. Our next meeting with the children's social worker is on 30 July and I think they're expecting some concrete answers to outstanding legal issues.

Thanks again

Maybe Mary D down in the ICCG might have a contact..

https://www.iccg.ie/contact.asp

Good tip, thanks I'll try them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

hi OP, some what hesitant to join in, but here goes.

the first point is that you want a UK adoption lawyer, not an Irish one who thinks they know a bit about UK adoption procedures. contact the Law Society, they will point you in the direction of the right firm for you.

the second is that whatever the legal technicalities, UK social workers are not going to be happy about adopting out children to a family outside of their jurisdiction. if you were living in the UK at the time of the adoption and had plans to move overseas at some stage, that would be one thing, but very few senior social workers would ok a process that will result in the child/children leaving their jurisdiction immediately after the adoption, with their ability to monitor the after-adoption process entirely dependent on the co-operation of the parents and the other state.

you may be lucky, but in my (reasonably informed) view, that's pretty unlikely.

• Advertisement

Hi OS119, I have pm'd you

OS119 wrote: »
    hi OP, some what hesitant to join in, but here goes.

the first point is that you want a UK adoption lawyer, not an Irish one who thinks they know a bit about UK adoption procedures. contact the Law Society, they will point you in the direction of the right firm for you.

the second is that whatever the legal technicalities, UK social workers are not going to be happy about adopting out children to a family outside of their jurisdiction. if you were living in the UK at the time of the adoption and had plans to move overseas at some stage, that would be one thing, but very few senior social workers would ok a process that will result in the child/children leaving their jurisdiction immediately after the adoption, with their ability to monitor the after-adoption process entirely dependent on the co-operation of the parents and the other state.

you may be lucky, but in my (reasonably informed) view, that's pretty unlikely.

All good points OP will have to be sure off..

Advertisement