Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C - new to this taking pictures lark, here are a few select c&c please

• 21-07-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

So recently got a bridge camera and said id try it out before I got buy an expensive camera just as a test to see if firstly it can keep my interest and secondly if i am any use at it, here are a few examples of what i have done so far, as you can see my main focus is my niece and my dog

4813254717_8569688214.jpg

4813872510_e9309d16a9.jpg

4813877266_524ea8a5f6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

What camera did you get?

All shots could do with a little PP imo.

Nice shots though.

Love the first one, really cute shot. Needs a little curves / levels adjustment to tone it down a little and brighten it (IMO). Would have been nice not to lose the top of her head, and her left arm :)

Second shot needs more contrast, once again, a bit of simple curves & levels should sort that out. Could also do with a crop to focus a bit more on the subjects, particularly the left hand side.

Last one is a great shot of the dog, but he looks a little lost :( maybe a tighter crop and once again a bit of contrast adjustment.

These are just IMO - keep up the good work :) there are many far more experienced peeps here who may just say I'm talking bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rorzy

thanks for that ill work on them a bit again, worst come to worst i just have more copies of the same photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Look like decent enough start out photos to me.

The first is a tad soft around the eyes and the skin tones look a bit too warm.

Second is not too bad... compositionally I think your positioning is a bit off. A few steps to your right and you'd have had a much better photo with more of the bambino's face visible.

Third is grand. Hard to photograph dark dogs because they can throw off the cameras metering.

Good start. Keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rorzy

thank you and yes my positioning tends to be a bit off, as well for some reason unknown to me iv been cutting off the tops of peoples heads, another thing i gotta work on, thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

# 1 is really nice. Hope you have it framed.

Might have went for a lower angle for #2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok my 2c - take it as just a 2c too - you don't have to accept or agree with anything I suggest :)

in #1

white balance looks dreadful - thankfully can easily be corrected to something that is more natural looking (like your #2)
    focus on the eyes is soft - unless you intended so, the rules suggest you should go for sharp eyes - that's only a rule, and rules of course are made/can be broken.
    the background is well, not overly pleasing - if planning the shoot again, i'd suggest look for a neutral background. All the viewer is interested in is that little sweet bundle of humanity, and oh boy if she turns on that smile everytime she gets in front of the camera then she'll have plenty of people trying to capture her.
    the crop imho is ever so tight it could go one way or the other but it's kinda sitting on the fence to be honest. I'd probably go out a little more but it could work going in.

All that is intended to be critique of #1. But really, its not a bad keepsake at all :) enjoy it.

in #2

another nice tender moment and well caught
    crop is again a little tight perhaps.
    subject very central - fine if you like it
    the background isn't the best i guess but it is a capture of a spur of the moment - the chair in this case is the non aesthetically pleasing aspect for me.
    i'd clone out the plugs perhaps - they're a distraction I think even though they do document the place as it was shot. It may depend on whether you intended to document or to shoot as a portrait (?)

a cool photograph for the lil lady to have in years to come..... very sweet indeed.

in #3

too central imho but other than that not a bad image.
    i think if you had opportunity to think about it i'd expose for the dog a little more at the expense of the water backgound. I can't see the exif but i'm suspecting it was using some sort of scene metering? A nice image though.
    another option here is to get in close(r) - the vacant space which is the water background doesn't really serve much purpose - yet some of it should be left in to give the context of the shot -- animal at beach/river/lake/whatever.
    animals aren't the easiest to shoot so well done on capturing the moment here.

are you using your bridge in manual mode or some of the scene modes?

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

First is a lovely picture, but seems too warm or the wrong wb? if you have any post-processing program you could de-saturate the oranges/yellows a little which might help.

Second seems a bit 'flat' to me, needs a boost of contrast perhaps. Again, lovely picture, the child looks real happy in Grandad's [?] arms :)

Third, the dog is too central and seems a little dark. Ok, I know he's a black dog, but you could brighten his eyes a tiny bit as they're the same colour as his coat, a bit lost. I'd crop a little of the see above him out of it too.

Good stuff though.

[edit] Ah, see I should probably read other posts before posting my own, didn't see ACD's, but we're on the same level, kind of :D

Advertisement