Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Book?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭

Forgiveness please if this has been done before but...

I've been thinking about the main revenue streams from the website; obviously advertising is the main one, subscribers is another and possibly charging an administration fee to the 'Talk to' companies. It struck me that a book might be another possible revenue source for boards.ie

Roughly speaking I was thinking maybe a book containing the best After Hours posts. Possibly even call the book 'After Hours at boards.ie' or something to that effect. They could be voted for by the users themselves; I know there is an epic threads sticky in AH. As far as I know overheardindublin have a book out and I think that started as a website first and foremost too. Obviously there are a number of negatives against it too - how would you make a book like that coherent and structured is the main one I can think of.

Anyway; just throwing it out there as an idea for you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I wouldn't read the book, but I'd watch the movie adaption. Especially if it was starring that handsome fella from the covies :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The photography forum do a book of photos around Christmas of a selection of photos posted during the year.

I don't think I would buy a book of quotes from boards - maybe if it was done for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Could be a possible idea for SSF next year then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

not a bad idea, young cson.

not a bad idea at all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

It could include post of the day as they are now thanked by boards.ie username.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Saibh wrote: »
    But then mine wouldn't be in it...

Saibh wrote: »

The problem I see with that is that you'd often need to contextualise it and the fact that usually the most thanked post of the day is the first one in on some obscure thread in AH with a half arsed witty one line reply.

All the same I'm sure there'd be a lot of good ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Insult Thread in book form. I'd buy that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Copyright clusterfuсk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

clusterfuсk

great name for a new cadburys choclate pieces snack.

As for the topic. a book of posts of the day, put into context of the threads would be a good idea, although it would perhaps be a small book.

Something in aid of SSF would be worth looking at though, however cost / benefit would be something that would need to be looked at in detail

• Advertisement

I'll qualify my OP by saying that the AH slant was just a suggestion; ideally you could tailor it to be representative of the wider boards community.

If you look at it from another aspect you could nearly get a travel book out of 'The Things To Do In...' forum at this stage.

cson wrote: »
    I'll qualify my OP by saying that the AH slant was just a suggestion; ideally you could tailor it to be representative of the wider boards community.

If you look at it from another aspect you could nearly get a travel book out of 'The Things To Do In...' forum at this stage.

That might be more workable. I think a properly themed book (like the photo forum did) where contributors agree up front would have some chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

starring Rutger Hauer as Jazzy

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've often thought of writing a book about the last 10 years but to be absolutely honest, I'm not all that sure many would buy it and no one would believe it anyway :):)

I do like the idea of "the best of Boards" book though.

DeV.

Perhaps even add in a lolcat sticker book, that'd sell like hotcakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I've an automatic reaction to dislike the idea purely because I don't even read the After Hours Forum and anything I hear about it involves nothing more but salty muppetry and flaming :rolleyes:

Awesome, you described it not only with words but with actions! You should write the book :)

Can we sell an accompanying Cliff notes book called "AH:TL;DR"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jazzy wrote: »
    starring Rutger Hauer as Jazzy
    Chasing Malcolm McDowell, trapped in the future?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Best of AH eh? All my posts in book form eh? I'd buy it. So long as it's called best of AH and not best of AHs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Could all mention, if any of Snyper be removed.

If i ever had any intentions of working in politics or social services, the book could ruin me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's all well and good saying that it would be a good idea but being arsed enough to do it is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Most of the best posts and moments on Boards require context to be of any interest. It might be an interesting pet project for some people to do a reeling in the years style video series with quotes from the relevant threads littered throughout. But a moneymaker? I don't think so.

The photography book is obviously workable. An overheard in Dublin style "funny stories" book could be made from AH but imo it would need to be written artice style and peppered with quotes to be readable rather than simply republishing an edited version of the thread.
    The Dome could probably bring out an insults book all right. The kind of book you find in the "Humour" section that someone who doesn't really know you as well as they think they do could get you for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

How about a selection of amusing anecdotes and observations on modern life told in your own, inimitable style, jb? We could call it "At the Fireside With javaboy".

Though that might not be an entirely accurate description of where people would keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Even I wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Eh, we'll stick to your earlier material, if that's okay with you.

How about a collaborative, multi-forum effort. Put together a coffee table book and then get the DIY forum crowd to make some coffee tables to sell alongside it. Maybe have the Food and Drink people select some fine coffee beans to package along with the table and book?

Or how about a brew-off contest with all the keg-heads supplying beer for tasting and a prize for the best lager/ale/stout? The event management forumers could organise it, Fashion and Appearance/Design make t-shirts and labels for the winning beers, emergency services give a hand avoiding problems with licencing...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How about a collaborative, multi-forum effort. Put together a coffee table book and then get the DIY forum crowd to make some coffee tables to sell alongside it. Maybe have the Food and Drink people select some fine coffee beans to package along with the table and book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How about a selection of amusing anecdotes and observations on modern life told in your own, inimitable style, jb? We could call it "At the Bedside With javaboy".

Though that might be an entirely accurate description of where people would keep it.

Fixed your post. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Silly Sausage

I've been keeping a diary of screen grabs from my posts and peoples responses on various forums for the last ten years. I'm seriously planning on publishing it some day in a kind of scrap book form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I've been keeping a diary of screen grabs from my posts and peoples responses on various forums for the last ten years. I'm seriously planning on publishing it some day in a kind of scrap book form.

Still?

9781404827370.jpg

Advertisement