Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celeb Sim :/

Options
  • 21-07-2010 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey all I'm starting the Celebrity Slim weight loss plan tomorrow and was wondering if anyone tried it before? I have about 1 1/2 to 2 stone to lose and want it gone by the 20th September. I'm combining the diet with tonnes of exercise.. which is great coz I love running and horse riding. So any tips? Much support needed and given :)
    MyBeauty x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Please reconsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

What does celebrity slim diet mean? Can you map out what you will be eating etc? 20th september is 2 months away so 1.5stone is realistic to lose in that time, but why do i have a feeling this diet is not going to be great

It is fresh marketing on the concept of starvation via meal replacements ala Lipotrim, Cambridge.
    It is potentially life threateningly unhealthy, and even if it does work for you OP. It will cause you to lose muscle mass, messing up your metabolism. Making it more difficult to keep the weight off in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

OP, please do not follow any fad diet, such as the one you are about to undertake.

Instead, please post up your stats (sex, height, weight, age etc), what you eat on a daily basis (be very specific and honest, the more details the better) and any exercise you currently do (both cardio and weights).

Only then can the good people of Boards give you advice on how to properly lose bodyfat in the timeframe you are looking at.

In the meantime, please also read the stickies on this forum and the fitness forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Please reconsider!
    agreed - far better methods with following a low carb, plenty of good fats and lots of exercise approach.

read this article on how to shed fat fast and do it all asap - http://thetransformationcatalyst.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/shed-fat-fast-the-guaranteed-summer-plan/

Yes read the stickies also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mybeauty wrote: »
    Hey all I'm starting the Celebrity Slim weight loss plan tomorrow and was wondering if anyone tried it before? I have about 1 1/2 to 2 stone to lose and want it gone by the 20th September. I'm combining the diet with tonnes of exercise.. which is great coz I love running and horse riding. So any tips? Much support needed and given :)
    MyBeauty x

Please don't waste your money on this :confused: (it IS one of those paid ones isnt it)

The 1 1/2 stone will probably pile back on on the 21st September anyway if you do it.
    If you're doing lots of exercise already that's brill - post up your diet and let the expert guys here give you advice. Free of charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Apart from anything else, the CS products are not particularly low calorie or high protein for what you are paying. They often only give the food value in joules, not calories, which makes it harder for us to read them, but most of the bars have 250 or so calories each, with fairly low protein and way too much carbohydrate. And the shakes have a staggering amount of sugar.

If you want to replace a meal a day with a shake, then go for a good brand of whey and use that instead. You'll get a much better product for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Have a look in the food diary forum for diets that have worked for other people. I don't keep one there but I read them for inspiration to stay healthy and for dinner ideas.

I think CS could get very boring. Once you get used to eating smaller portions of healthier food you won't feel as much like you're "on a diet" but if you're replacing meals with bars and shakes, you'll probably feel a bit deprived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mybeauty

I just feel like this is the diet for me. i need something to follow to stick to a diet, i've bad habits of overeating and even when i try to eat healthy(numerous occasions) i fall off the wagon or over eat. i need to change the way i eat drastically to kick these bad habits.. so no more choccies or big plates of food for me..
    Thanks to everyone for their advice but i've tried alot of stuff and just feel this is the way to go foe me atm...
    I'm 5"6, 155lb, 20yr old female...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Often, these diets that replace a meal with a shake or a bar don't work in the long term and you end up piling the weight back on *AND MORE* when you come off the plan. I'm only saying this to you because I was always looking for a quick fix back when I was overweight, and it would always go back on - but by adopting a sensible eating and exercise routine I managed to lose a lot of weight and have kept it off for the last 2-3 years now and plan to remain at my current weight and size for the rest of my life!

For the same amount of calories in a shake/bar from these kinds of meal replacement companies, you could probably get a really nice decent salad with protein or a healthy soup.

These diets are also expensive and these companies are just praying on and stealing money from idiots who believe this is the only way to diet.

I'd recommend:
    Eat 3 balanced meals a day with 3 snacks.
    Cut down on carbs and dairy.
    Eat plenty of protein in the form of eggs, tofu, grilled meat and beans.
    Snack on a handful of nuts & seeds, fruit, yoghurt, or raw veg & hummus.
    Always eat a decent breakfast because that sets you up for the day.
    Don't eat after 7pm if you can.
    If you have to drink alcohol drink spirits with low cal mixer.
    Exercise lots!

You need to change your eating and exercise habits FOR LIFE, and you won't be able to do that on a Celebrity Slim diet. Fair enough, if you just want to lose the weight for the 20th September and don't mind getting fatter again after this date, go ahead and do it. But in my opinion, if you have the discipline and dedication to stick to a fad diet like this for 2 months there's no reason you couldn't stick to a really good, healthy and sustainable diet for those 2 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I just feel like this is the diet for me. i need something to follow to stick to a diet, i've bad habits of overeating and even when i try to eat healthy(numerous occasions) i fall off the wagon or over eat. i need to change the way i eat drastically to kick these bad habits.. so no more choccies or big plates of food for me..
    Thanks to everyone for their advice but i've tried alot of stuff and just feel this is the way to go foe me atm...

I'd agree with everyone else on it, those replacement diets are bad news - I watched my mother do lipotrim and it nearly killed her and when she stopped she gained what she had lost and more.
    Going by your stats though, using a bog standard BMI calculator, you're 1 pound over the "normal weight", I'm the same height as you and I'm 50lbs heavier than you - I'd suggest you stay away from celeb slim and any other fad diets, and try up your exercise first see if that makes a difference.
    There is no quick fix as regards diets and weightloss - its take will power and determination, I mean if there was a magic pill everyone would be skinny!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are missing the point.
    It's meal replacement, low carb diet.
    This is what a lot of people choose, but we don't bother paying sky high prices for inferior products.

CS soup - packet of powdered soup, no different to cup a soup.
    Going for a homemade soup or even heinz tomato or pumpkin would be far far better. And exactly the same calories.

CS shakes - High carbs shakes, full of sugar. Going for a whey protein shake would be far better, and far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I tried this once , and it did work, for about 3 weeks....you get so sick of shakes, and it would be very hard to "exercise loads" on it as you just won't have the energy. I know I ended up the same weight in the end, the only thing that was lighter was my wallet!
    Have you tried weightwatchers classes? that's what worked for me, I was super motivated & really did it properly.
    Or forget the c.s and do a low carb diet with real food. Each shake is the equivalent of 3.5-4 ww points so you could easily fit a real meal in to those parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There is research to show that replacing one meal a day with a protein shake can help weight loss. And there is a lot of good quality whey or casein powders out there which will give you the best return on your calories and on your money.

I'm wary about replacing two many meals with shakes or bars.

Well 6 days in and i'm down 4lb. Haven't had cravings and been full of energy. Working everyday too so been really handy to prepare at work. I'd really appreciate it if people stopped telling me not to do it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

EileenG wrote: »
    There is research to show that replacing one meal a day with a protein shake can help weight loss. And there is a lot of good quality whey or casein powders out there which will give you the best return on your calories and on your money.

I'm wary about replacing two many meals with shakes or bars.

USN chocolate cream whey ftw :pac: especially on top of porridge. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Well 6 days in and i'm down 4lb.

That's not fat..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Mybeauty people are telling you not to do it are giving constructive reasons for it and not just telling you to not do it flat out. Have you read any of the advice given?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm sorry but I couldn't stay quiet after reading this. Yes, you need to change the way you eat, but the best way to do this is by examining what you eat and adjusting. Going on a stringent shake-based diet is no way to do this as it is not dealing with your underlying issues.

Until you deal with your relationship with food, you WILL always struggle, and the only difference will be to your wallet. I suspect that this will fail too (ultimately, maybe not immediately) and then you will be looking for another quick fix.

Read Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig - if this doesn't start to change your mind about food, then I don't know what will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Well 6 days in and i'm down 4lb. Haven't had cravings and been full of energy. Working everyday too so been really handy to prepare at work. I'd really appreciate it if people stopped telling me not to do it. Thanks

OP you posted here looking for opinions/advice on CS - you can't get annoyed at the posters just because its not the advice you wanted to hear...
    The general consensus is that the diet isn't the best & quite expensive, and some of the posters have given you better alternatives even keeping with the shake/meal replacement idea.

• Advertisement

That's not fat..

May I ask what is it so?

OP you posted here looking for opinions/advice on CS - you can't get annoyed at the posters just because its not the advice you wanted to hear...
    The general consensus is that the diet isn't the best & quite expensive, and some of the posters have given you better alternatives even keeping with the shake/meal replacement idea.

What I did ask for was advice from people who have done the diet. If I wanted alternative ideas I would have asked that.. Who said I was annoyed? Don't be so quick to jump to that conclusion..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

May I ask what is it so?

You'll dump water in the first week of any diet, it usually accounts for 75% of loss IIRC.

How much is this thing anyway? Just googled the shake ingredients:

Skim Milk Powder, Fructose, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Vegetable Oil, Glucose Syrup Solids, Soy Protein Isolate, Maltodextrin, Flavours [Wheat Derived], Minerals (Dairy Calcium, Tricalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Sulphate, Zinc Sulphate, Manganese Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Potassium Iodide Sodium Molybate, Chromium Chloride, Selenium Methionine), Fructooligosaccharide, Thickener (412), Emulsifiers (339,471, 47**, 450), Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E, K Folate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin), Green Tea Extract, Antioxidant (306) {Soy Derived}

So besides some vitamin and mineral fortification (most of which are in completely nonabsorbable forms, they might has well not have bothered), this has every single element of an unhealthy diet in it, albeit in a low-calorie package.

By all means work away OP, it's your life and I presume you're a grown up. But these things turn up on search results on google all the time and it's good to get the counterpoint across to people on the inadequacies of this approach. Don't take it too personally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

1st bit off weight loss is water, then you will lose fat. A good weight loss is .5-2lbs a week and after losing water stores, anymore than 2lbs (unless your pretty obese) is muscle. Muscle is one thing you DO NOT want to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

What I did ask for was advice from people who have done the diet. If I wanted alternative ideas I would have asked that.. Who said I was annoyed? Don't be so quick to jump to that conclusion..
    mybeauty the issue people have with your approach is that its a really slow way of making progress and the suggestions made are showing you a better path to take.

I work with clients that have the same goals as yourself week in week out and the advice i suggested is no different than what is being offered here.

You are old enough to make your own silly decisions but if I was on the edge about to embark on something that is wasteful of time, money and to your body i would hope people would let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Does the Charter not prohibit the discussion of products like this? The Moderator closed this previous thread for that reason.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333290&page=34

BTW our friend India Knight who wrote the Idiot book mentioned above has come up with a quicker way to lose weight, if you can afford it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5702329.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

May I ask what is it so?

Well a pound of fat is 3500 kcal. Assuming an average metabolism of 1700 kcal a day, if you ate absolutely nothing for those 6 days you would lose 2.9 lb fat.
    If you lose muscle your metabolism will slow down and you'll either end up getting even fatter than when you started, or really restricting your food. That's how yo-yo dieting and eating disorders start.

I actually think CS is ok as a kick start and when you lose the first bit and start feeling a bit better about yourself you could be able to manage a regular healthy diet.

The thing is, you'll have to have a healthy diet once you lose the weight to keep it off, so why not just start now?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Does the Charter not prohibit the discussion of products like this? The Moderator closed this previous thread for that reason.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055333290&page=34

BTW our friend India Knight who wrote the Idiot book mentioned above has come up with a quicker way to lose weight, if you can afford it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5702329.ece

That article is over a year old dxhound, careful, you're beginning to sound like someone with a chip on their shoulder.

Yep, as far as I know she's gained most of the weight back. Such is life (and also why most people who write diet books tend to never have had a weight problem themselves, too embarrassing when you slip up). In India's defense she does have a very sick child, that amount of stress would send me to the biscuit tin. I could care less, it worked for me and I'm still a size 10 four years later.

I think this thread was left open for others to give the OP advice, moderation is sometimes not that cut and dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I tried this once , and it did work, for about 3 weeks....you get so sick of shakes, and it would be very hard to "exercise loads" on it as you just won't have the energy.

That makes no sense. A good quality shake has plenty of energy. Anything from 100 cals to 500 cals +

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hi Mybeauty. I just wanted to share my experience with you to show you that there are alternatives out there that work, because I have a feeling this one won't do it for you (how could you sustain no food???)

I was around the same as you, 5 foot 5, about 150lbs. All around the belly of course! I did WW, I restricted calories, all the usual suspects and I lost weight, but then I'd have a 'treat' day and i'd pig out on crisps (my downfall) and chips etc. Loved anything bready and I'm a real foodie so I love cooking extravagant meals.

Well. I decided after reading a lot about it, that i would try a low carb diet. I know they get a bad rap but I said to myself a lot of it makes sense and I'll try it for 2 weeks, sure 2 weeks can't kill me.

Approx 10 weeks later, I have lost about 10 lbs so I'm the thinnest I've been in years. I haven't had a packet of crisps since then and the weirdest thing is I don't miss them. It's like I don't crave them anymore - apparently this is one of the postive side effects of a low carb diet. I'm eating loads of veggies but still enjoying the bold stuff (well stuff we think is bold) like rashers, sausages, dark choc, butter, cheese, etc.

Why don't you give it a go? You don't really have anything to lose right?

Advertisement