Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cycling routes in Limerick

• 21-07-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Now that Tag Rugby is over, I desperately need something else to do for a bit of exercise, so i'm going to try get back into cycling. I only have a hyrbrid thingy, so nothing too serious. Looking for some possible routes that would be between 20 & 30km that I can do in the evenings after work, 2 or 3 times a week.
    Any suggestions? Bear in mind that whatever routes I use, i'll be looking to use also when the evenings get shorter, so road quality and decent street lighting is preferable.

Edit: I'm currently based in Dooradoyle, so would like to use that as a starting point.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Weird - Was thinking the same thing over the past few days.

- Biggest danger is getting flattened to a Pulp by a Clearasil Coated Glanza Kid :(

Had thought of the road out towards Foynes but Cycling on long straight roads in horrible and the traffic is relatively very heavy with the added concern that its so narrow - Thinking of right elbow getting lots of wing-mirror bruises!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

One route that I used to use which is approx 20k is to start in Dooradoyle, head down to the childers road via rosbrien/greenfields (much heavier traffic on this road now :rolleyes:), up childers road (knackers around weston do like to hurl the occasional thing at passing cyclists. i was hit by a rugby ball last year), turn towards town at the parkway, head through the city and out the dock road, through Mungret and out to the road by the raheen industrial estate.
    This route has several issues though. No street lighting in many places which won't suit in the winter. The aforementioned knacks in Weston and the heavier traffic volumne on the rosbrien road, which is fairly narrow.

Nightmare.

- Sucking in fumes and dodging traffic.

Must research all of Coilltes various Forest Parks, be looking to find one without any serious Hills etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If any of ye lads have the bikes built for it, then there are some great cycle tracks around the hills in Cratloe.

If it is just a fitness cycle on decent roads, then if in Dooradoyle head out the old Patrickswell road, go through the village, and then take the old Adare road out until it is about to join the roundabout coming to Adare and then come back the same way.

I run that stretch every now and then as part of my routes and it is not as bad in terms of traffic as some of the other routes mentioned.

Raiser, the N69 would be a very bad road for cycling imho. Too much traffic, including many HGVs, would make it a potentially unsafe trip for both the cyclist and motorists. Not to mention the huge levels of dust on the stretch between Mungret and Kildimo.

Some lovely spots further out the N69 though, but that might involve you putting the bike in the car and then leaving the car somewhere like Foynes or Glin and then going off on your cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Kess73 wrote: »
    If it is just a fitness cycle on decent roads, then if in Dooradoyle head out the old Patrickswell road, go through the village, and then take the old Adare road out until it is about to join the roundabout coming to Adare and then come back the same way.

I run that stretch every now and then as part of my routes and it is not as bad in terms of traffic as some of the other routes mentioned.
    This is a route I'm hoping to start aswell - time to add some road (uck) biking into the mix to improve fitness for the mountain biking.

You could head out of Adare and on towards Rathkeale direction.
    That, or Patrickswell and onto Croom direction(altho I don't think you have too many options from there on, Adare and onwards is probably a better cycle). Anything with a hardshoulder that isn't a motorway. Mountainbiking is safer than spending time on roads without a hardhoulder! Too many blind AND/OR stupid drivers out there!

Any other suggestions (convenient to the dooradoyle/raheen direction) greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Some good suggestions folks and thanks. They will work for the evenings while they are still bright, and for a saturday/sunday morning.
    Any suggestions for when the evenings begin to get darker though? Cycling these roads where there isn't sufficient light, isn't something I fancy.

Anybody cycled out to Bunratty/Shannon lately? What's that like for a cyclist with the new layout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I go out to Killaloe via Castleconnell and O'Briens Bridge on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jumpy wrote: »
    I go out to Killaloe via Castleconnell and O'Briens Bridge on a regular basis.

Both lovely for a cycle, only downer for those in Raheen/Dooradoyle are the little shytes in Weston that often stand by the road on the Weston side of Lady Of Lourdes church who take pleasure in throwing things at bikes/cars.

The canal banks between Ardnacrusha, Clonlara and O'Briens Bridge seem to be getting more popular for those with mountain bikes of late also, going by those I see when my running route falls on that side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if you can load the bike up, drive out to ballyhoura, man built mountain bike trails in the woods, fantastic facilities.

zuroph wrote: »
    if you can load the bike up, drive out to ballyhoura, man built mountain bike trails in the woods, fantastic facilities.

Have heard great things about the place, but a hybrid would be absolutely destroyed off road. Zero suspension, wheels too narrow.

• Advertisement

Depends on the hybrid and the rider, but ya, I'd also be slow to recommend it without a proper (wider grippy tyres, good brakes) bike. The boys at the trail center (Trailriders formerly known as XCT) have good bikes to rent if people wanted to try it out.

I wonder would there be a demand for a laid back forestry road only loop there? Twud give herself something to do while I was hurtling around between trees and rocks?

langdang wrote: »
    Depends on the hybrid and the rider, but ya, I'd also be slow to recommend it without a proper (wider grippy tyres, good brakes) bike. The boys at the trail center (Trailriders formerly known as XCT) have good bikes to rent if people wanted to try it out.

Am going to look into this! - Thanks!
    I wonder would there be a demand for a laid back forestry road only loop there? Twud give herself something to do while I was hurtling around between trees and rocks?

Read and reread this many times - Am perplexed as to your Missus's interests and how they might involve a "laid back Forestry Road only loop" - Whatever that is ?????

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

theres different "loops" in ballyhoura, different routes of varying difficulty and length. they loop to get you back to where you started obv. so a laid back foresty road loop is a route that is all wide easy to cycle forest roads. The beginner route isnt too bad out there as it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

would be great to have a 'laid back' loop to bring the kids out on while the OH tries to break his neck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

A route that I have been going along recently, to get back into cycling (apart from going to work our in Melick from Ballinacurra Gardens) is; Start Ballinacurra Gardens, (Just by the spar there), Go up O'Connel Ave, and take a left onto Henry Street, Over the bridge and then go right up by Ard Scoil, and up past the Ennis Road, Up as far as Thomond Park, keep going past there as far as Watch House Cross, go straight there, up towards Parteen, take a right at the crossroads, over the bride, down by Seanchoill, keep going down towards Grove Island shopping centre, then back over the bridge into town by Nicholas Street, and back to Ballinacurra through town, Keeps be going, good few hills to keep the endurance going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

Have to agree about Ballyhoura. Brilliant fun!!! I used to downhill for years so found it tough enough to begin with,(my bike was NOT set up for XC!!) but ive been back since, with a different set up and always left with a smile on my face!!! Great craic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Scar001

There are a few marked trails in Curraghchase. The one I did was ideal for kids (5 year olds). Takes about 30 minutes with a few hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

check out mapmyride.com and search for saved rides in the limerick area - you can also map out rides that you might come up with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Now that Tag Rugby is over, I desperately need something else to do for a bit of exercise, so i'm going to try get back into cycling. I only have a hyrbrid thingy, so nothing too serious. Looking for some possible routes that would be between 20 & 30km that I can do in the evenings after work, 2 or 3 times a week.
    Any suggestions? Bear in mind that whatever routes I use, i'll be looking to use also when the evenings get shorter, so road quality and decent street lighting is preferable.

Edit: I'm currently based in Dooradoyle, so would like to use that as a starting point.

Ok considering my last post was removed I will be serious in this one. You should cycle out from Dooradoyle head down Childers road (but be careful!!! mucho bad drivers around) turn left at parkway towards town and Ill meet you at the Absolute to help you wipe your sweat off :D

Bundasbar wrote: »
    Ok considering my last post was removed I will be serious in this one. You should cycle out from Dooradoyle head down Childers road (but be careful!!! mucho bad drivers around) turn left at parkway towards town and Ill meet you at the Absolute to help you wipe your sweat off :D

It was moved to the Waffling thread - So don't worry, you're still going to attract 79% of the Degenerate Internet Perverts around!!!

Not sure about this though.

Could be controversial!!!

- Will look forward to seeing him (them?) post about it in Personal Issues!!!

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    Read and reread this many times - Am perplexed as to your Missus's interests and how they might involve a "laid back Forestry Road only loop" - Whatever that is ?????

:confused:

While there's a better than even chance you were just being a smartarse:p- most of the loops in ballyhoura would be mostly off road on narrow paths, with some of the uphills on forestry road (AKA fire road to MTB heads)

She isn't really able to keep up to me on the fun bits of the trail - but if there was an alternative loop that was just on the forestry road (no bumps, rocks, sudden turns, people trying to squeeze past) I'd say she'd be happy out.

@Zuroph, ya the green loop is short, but for the average beginner there's still bits that will give them a fright! The cycle-to-work fairy came last night and dropped off a hybrid and a road bike - wahey, more bikes!

This route on mapmyride.com looks perfect for me. Thanks for pointing me towards the site ULstudent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How about starting at the Collins roundabout or wherever is closest to you, head towards the M20, go over the bridge, head out to the crossroads and take a left then continue as you towards Limerick GC but instead of taking left, go right and head on towards Meanus out that road, take left at Church and continue on that road until you come to main road to Bruff, head towards bruff and then at the statue take right and head towards Croom and follow the road so you will come out on the Cork road which leads you back into the Patrickswell taking the old road back into Raheen.

probably not so suitable for Winter, but would be a good cycle

Here it is in map(hope it works)

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/20272464/?open_ive_done=1

Mc Love wrote: »
    How about starting at the Collins roundabout or wherever is closest to you, head towards the M20, go over the bridge, head out to the crossroads and take a left then continue as you towards Limerick GC but instead of taking left, go right and head on towards Meanus out that road, take left at Church and continue on that road until you come to main road to Bruff, head towards bruff and then at the statue take right and head towards Croom and follow the road so you will come out on the Cork road which leads you back into the Patrickswell taking the old road back into Raheen.

probably not so suitable for Winter, but would be a good cycle

Here it is in map(hope it works)

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/20272464/?open_ive_done=1

Cheers sparks ... whoops, I mean mclove:p
    Looks a good route for a saturday/sunday morning

Right, did South Court Roundabout-raheen industrial estate - Patrickswell and out the Adare road as far as the flyover as a test run of the new bikes (adjusting gears, saddles, handlebars). Very short run on a road bike, but would be handy if you had a mountain bike or were just working up towards longer runs.

The bits that don't have a hard shoulder are generally pretty straight and open so are safe enough. Road surface good by Irish standards.

Bikes would still appear to be a bit of a novelty for certain strata of the Limerick population, judging by the beeps. :rolleyes: No objects were thrown, and only one tool in a Corolla decided to skim by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cheers sparks ... whoops, I mean mclove:p
    Looks a good route for a saturday/sunday morning

Try driving it first and then it will have stuck in your memory hopefully.

Who is sparks? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 acoghlan

Are there tracks suitable for road bikes?

Kess73 wrote: »
    If any of ye lads have the bikes built for it, then there are some great cycle tracks around the hills in Cratloe.

Raiser, the N69 would be a very bad road for cycling imho. Too much traffic, including many HGVs, would make it a potentially unsafe trip for both the cyclist and motorists. Not to mention the huge levels of dust on the stretch between Mungret and Kildimo.

Some lovely spots further out the N69 though, but that might involve you putting the bike in the car and then leaving the car somewhere like Foynes or Glin and then going off on your cycle.

There is a road climb all the way to the top of Gallows/Woodcock hill - ie up to the "Golf ball" radar station. Would appear to be used as a time trial or something by some clubs judging by markings on the road. But the trails in Cratloe would not be suitable for a road bike. A hybrid could deal with the main walking paths, but a proper mtb is needed for the "off-piste" bits

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There is a road climb all the way to the top of Gallows/Woodcock hill - ie up to the "Golf ball" radar station. Would appear to be used as a time trial or something by some clubs judging by markings on the road. But the trails in Cratloe would not be suitable for a road bike. A hybrid could deal with the main walking paths, but a proper mtb is needed for the "off-piste" bits

QFT.

I tried to cycle through the woods on a hybrid about six months ago. It was a miracle I didn't cripple myself! The route along the road up to the golf ball is fantastic though. The views more than make up for the rigidly cramped legs afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Folks, just wondering if anybody has found any new routes, am based in raheen myself, tried the N69 but never again, way too much traffic and was very dangerous in places, how is the road from patrickswell - adare - rathkeale as regards traffic and road surface? have a hybrid myself. Cheers!

Advertisement