Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cycling routes in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

cottager83 wrote: »
    Folks, just wondering if anybody has found any new routes, am based in raheen myself, tried the N69 but never again, way too much traffic and was very dangerous in places, how is the road from patrickswell - adare - rathkeale as regards traffic and road surface? have a hybrid myself. Cheers!

the old road to adare from raheen is fairly quiet so would be good to cycle. You can go out past raheen industrial estate, then straight through the roundabout.
    The road from Adare to Rathkeale would be dangerous. There is a hard shoulder all the way, but I wouldn't chance it. You could look at a back road maybe from Adare to Rathkeale....
    You could cycle the old road to Adare, come back, and when you get into Patrickswell, turn left down by the bottom of the village, and either cycle down the back road to Mungret and into Raheen or cycle around Clarina/Newtown/Ferrybridge. The N69 cuts through Clarina, so you want to be steering clear of that....
    God be with the days when you could cycle back to Dromore lake, and it wasn't dangerous......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Just wondering if anyone cycles the roads leading up around Cratloe/Gallows Hill - how safe are the roads traffic wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I'd be up there 2/3 times a month, never have any real problems (apart from worn out legs). Take it handy on descent into meelick/moyross side as it's got few tricky bends with gravel. There are so many different ways up and down Cratloe it's gives a great workout.. In and out of 6milebridge is a nice addition to the cratloe hills, and from there you can go further into Newmarket on Fergus and beyond. Motorists on these road are well used to cyclists and generally are very accommodating.

I'd be up there 2/3 times a month, never have any real problems (apart from worn out legs). Take it handy on descent into meelick/moyross side as it's got few tricky bends with gravel. There are so many different ways up and down Cratloe it's gives a great workout.. In and out of 6milebridge is a nice addition to the cratloe hills, and from there you can go further into Newmarket on Fergus and beyond. Motorists on these road are well used to cyclists and generally are very accommodating.

Cheers, delighted to hear that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

My winter route for evenings up roxboro road , right at roundabout on childers road, left unto ballinacurra/dooradoyle road to the roundabout past the raheen industrial est, come back in to the raheen industrial est roundabout and go left for the dock road ( cement factory no street lighting for about 500m on this road), go right at dock road rounabout and head for city, left over shannon bridge and go out condell/ dual carrigeway to roundabout at the Radisson (limerick Inn), go around roundabout and head back in towards city, go left at ivans and up by Thomond Park, go right at treaty stone and go down clancy and o callaghans strand and back left onto condell road back over shannon bridge out the dock road left up courtbrack (long Avenue) to punches go right and then left on to childers road and head back to roxboro road, I think its about 25 - 30 km

• Advertisement

apc wrote: »
    My winter route for evenings up roxboro road , right at roundabout on childers road, left unto ballinacurra/dooradoyle road to the roundabout past the raheen industrial est, come back in to the raheen industrial est roundabout and go left for the dock road ( cement factory no street lighting for about 500m on this road), go right at dock road rounabout and head for city, left over shannon bridge and go out condell/ dual carrigeway to roundabout at the Radisson (limerick Inn), go around roundabout and head back in towards city, go left at ivans and up by Thomond Park, go right at treaty stone and go down clancy and o callaghans strand and back left onto condell road back over shannon bridge out the dock road left up courtbrack (long Avenue) to punches go right and then left on to childers road and head back to roxboro road, I think its about 25 - 30 km

I wouldn't be confident enough to tackle that with the traffic. Sounds like a good spin though.

On a separate note - can people please lock up their dogs? Twice I've been attacked by people's mutts in the past two nights near Meelick/Ardnacrusha. Dogs just ran out people's driveways and had a go - nearly knocked me off the bike. People are so irresponsible it drives me crazy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Anybody tried the greenway from Rathkeale, it goes as far as Abbeyfeale I think, it would be great if they started it at Limerick railway station and it ran to Foynes, Mungret and Abbeyfeale (and on to Tralee)

There used to be a railway bridge crossing Careys road once so it could just swing off to the right out of the station and join whats left of the existing line that crosses childers road.

It would be a huge amenity for commuters to Raheen and for people all out that side to cycle into town, along with a massive starting trailhead for tourists. Train to Limerick then cycle to Tralee and train home.

A winner for everybody.

elastico wrote: »
    Anybody tried the greenway from Rathkeale, it goes as far as Abbeyfeale I think, it would be great if they started it at Limerick railway station and it ran to Foynes, Mungret and Abbeyfeale (and on to Tralee)

There used to be a railway bridge crossing Careys road once so it could just swing off to the right out of the station and join whats left of the existing line that crosses childers road.

It would be a huge amenity for commuters to Raheen and for people all out that side to cycle into town, along with a massive starting trailhead for tourists. Train to Limerick then cycle to Tralee and train home.

A winner for everybody.

That would be epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

elastico wrote: »

A winner for everybody.

See here

Yes, it would be super to use the old railway lines around the whole of Ireland and not just Limerick for walking/cycling paths

Advertisement