Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Card - Eye Test

• 21-07-2010 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I have just received my medical card and was wondering can I get a free eye test and glasses if needed with it?

Do I just make an appointment with an optometrist and tell them I am on a medical card or do I have to go to my Doctor to get an eye exam?

Sorry for the dumb question but I heard that there has been a load of stuff cut from the medical card and I don't want to get a bill I can't pay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Some optometrist take medical card but I think you can only use it once every 2 years or somthing like that. Anymore than that I think you have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

If you need glasses can you get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

If you need glasses can you get them?

Yeh you can but it depends on the optometrist. Don't even think about specsavers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

http://www.specsavers.ie/glasses/prsi-medical-card/

Medical Card
    If you are a Medical Card holder you could be entitled to a free eye examination every 2 years and free glasses. At Specsavers, you could pay nothing for your glasses from our €29 and €59 ranges.

Call into your local optician and ask for a form to apply for a free eye examination for medical car holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Let the buyer beware! Light lenses, anti glare, anti scratch etc., all add up to well over what is allowed as 'free' on the medical card. Ask loads of questions clearly and upfront throughout the buying process so that you are not saddled with too much extra expense. The sight testing process is of course not part of this but the sales staff everywhere are there to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Balagan wrote: »
    Let the buyer beware! Light lenses, anti glare, anti scratch etc., all add up to well over what is allowed as 'free' on the medical card. Ask loads of questions clearly and upfront throughout the buying process so that you are not saddled with too much extra expense. The sight testing process is of course not part of this but the sales staff everywhere are there to sell.

+1. Especially with Specsavers. Their advertising is actually misleading, as it refers to an ideal situation where the customer will only require standard, no frills frames & lenses. If you go off standard at any stage be prepared to pay, and pay dearly. You may find the High St. optometrist slightly more expensive for the standard stuff, but you will not put a price on the good professional advice you will get there.

Advertisement