Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Dublin 2-4 days a week.??

Options
  • 21-07-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I will be starting a new job in Dublin in a few weeks which will involve staying overnight anything between 2 and 4 nights a week. Other nights could be "on the road" doing customer visits or working from home in West Cork.
    Wife and kids will be staying in Cork so don't want to relocate fully to Dublin. Does anyone have advice suggestions on the best type of accomodation to be looking at?? I am 37...too old for house share??

Ideally want to be based N7/M7 area.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Hi,
    I will be starting a new job in Dublin in a few weeks which will involve staying overnight anything between 2 and 4 nights a week. Other nights could be "on the road" doing customer visits or working from home in West Cork.
    Wife and kids will be staying in Cork so don't want to relocate fully to Dublin. Does anyone have advice suggestions on the best type of accomodation to be looking at?? I am 37...too old for house share??

Any advice welcome.

Up to 4 nights a week- and you're not interested in a houseshare- your only option that makes financial sense is a 1 bed apartment. If you're not too fussy- you should get something fairly nice in the N4/N7 area for ~600
    Have a look on DAFT- there is plenty of available accommodation in the area. Depending on how your work is structured- it might be beneficial from a tax perspective to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

B&B could be got for around €25 a night midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, he didn't say he wasn't interested in houseshare, just querying whether he was too old for it.

The answer is possibly, though there are plenty of 30-somethings out there with their own place who are looking to rent a room out to help with their mortgage.

2 - 4 nights a week, and obviously not staying over at the weekend; You'll have people queueing up to take you on as a tenant in a houseshare.

Wyndham also makes a good point. Assuming that you're not going to have much stuff with you except your clothes, then a B&B might work out cheaper than renting if you can strike up a deal with a host, though you won't be able to claim tax relief on the B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Hi,

Any advice welcome.
    Definitely consider a house share, you should have no problem getting a place for about €300-€400 a month. I know of people your age house sharing, so I wouldn't have any hang-up's about that.

You could also consider doing a deal with a hotel. I know that the Travel Lodge could probably do you a deal if you stayed with them a lot. They're not exactly expensive on a night to night basis even - http://www.travelodge.ie/dublin-airport-hotel-ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

house share is probably going to work out cheaper than any b&b deal or hotel deal anyway. 4 nights a week is gonna cost you 400 a month anyway you could easy get a house share for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

D3PO wrote: »
    house share is probably going to work out cheaper than any b&b deal or hotel deal anyway. 4 nights a week is gonna cost you 400 a month anyway you could easy get a house share for that.

Not when you you factor in bills, minimum lease, etc, etc. The OP also said 2-4 nights a week. The obvious choice for me would be a cheap hotel or B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

I have experience of both B & B and houseshare.

At the B & B I negotiated a rate (excluding breakfast, but that was my personal choice), and the owner gave the rate whether it was 1 night or 4 nights even if I never stayed consecutive nights, i.e Monday and Thursday. She was happy because I was a customer for nearly 4 years. B & B is in Maynooth, if OP wants contact details PM me

With the houseshare, it was with the female owner, and we agreed as I would never be there at weekends the rent included all utilities. It meant she knew she could plan her weekends without worrying about the "lodger" being round.

I was in my 40's!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement