Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal is mushrooming

Options
  • 21-07-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Out on Dawros Head, Portnoo, last week, mushrooms galore. I saw lots of mushroom rings in the short sea turf, both there, and at Dooey.

Anyone else spot the glittering rings?
    MushroomsDawros.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Which type of mushrooms would this be? the illegal ones that grow naturally or the legal ones that grow naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

totally legal and innocent, field mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The vegetable patch and field here are thick with them but am not risking it....

Also the other kind they call magic are here in some abundance. Not touching them either..

Why not give them both a go, just for the crack, like?

Durnish wrote: »
    Why not give them both a go, just for the crack, like?

My health is far too fragile just now to take stupid risks like that! ;) I have no inclination in those directions either..

Far too old to shorten precious days..

NB the old rule is NEVER to try any fungus unless you are 100% sure.. NOT ever; some are highly toxic and resemble others. That is the country code I was taught.

• Advertisement

I was taught to read the book and learn to identify things.

Durnish wrote: »
    I was taught to read the book and learn to identify things.

Well, that is fine, as long as you don;t intend to eat those "things". One book I had once was "Food for Free"; their caveat was always make very sure before you eat and then in tiny quantities if you are not sure and wait to see if there is an adverse reaction.

The wee black things they call "magic mushrooms" are known to be hallucinogenic/poisonous so I have identified those accurately..and no way. thank you!

This page says much wisely indeed.

http://www.nifg.org.uk/edible_fungi.htm

Posting this in case anyone reading this is tempted to try eating fungus...

Many years ago, also in Donegal, we picked and ate wild mushrooms freely, with someone who was an expert. I am not an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

certain mushrooms are very dangerous to eat; there are ones that resemble magic mushrooms that are very poisonous, I think the magic mushrooms aren't in season until mid October at the earliest... so if there are mushrooms growing now, that resemble the magic ones (small dark brown / black) do not eat them

Yeah make tea instead :)

I met people one time that used to make a years supply of honey with said mushrooms... *shakes head in shock*

• Advertisement

Now I know what is wrong with me and why I post on messageboards. Thanks folks.

All these years, starting in a field up behind Buncrana, I have been eating wild field mushrooms, identified first by my parents and then by my older brothers. This has obviously led to delusions, paranoia and fantasies, not to mention frequent death by poisoning.

On a more serious note, I find the sudden springing up of the rings, the fruiting bodies of the field mushrooms amazing and mysterious. Mycellium underground, I believe. The smell of wild mushrooms cooked with bacon is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I think its great that some of you people can identify the different types of mushrooms. I wish I could.

I have polish friends and they can tell the difference in the eatable ones and the poisonous ones, even here in Ireland. And when I was visiting Poland and out walking with them they could also identify all sorts of eatable roots, grasses and berries just growing wild in forests!!!

How come the Irish lost this ability, I often wonder?

WM

water-man wrote: »
    I think its great that some of you people can identify the different types of mushrooms. I wish I could.

I have polish friends and they can tell the difference in the eatable ones and the poisonous ones, even here in Ireland. And when I was visiting Poland and out walking with them they could also identify all sorts of eatable roots, grasses and berries just growing wild in forests!!!

WM

Tesco and Dunnes?

water-man wrote: »

WM

Not all have lost it; I know berries etc well....Next month is a great wild food month...

And gather and jam ... Flowers also are edible in many cases.

But fungus is a different thing; if you do know and are sure , fine. If not then leave it be, and I am not sure. And there are many who are not who might take risks.

Besides, I don;t like mushrooms!

yeah there isn't mushroom for mistakes when you're eating them...

sorry

so sorry

...and the fungus out of it all when someone gets sick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Ye're all full of it here today ... just like the mushrooms that thrive on it ;)

Domscard wrote: »
    Ye're all full of it here today ... just like the mushrooms that thrive on it ;)

Cannot reveal the source of this, but someone complained.. "They treat us like mushrooms.. keep us in the dark and feed us b**sh-t"

The donkey droppings we gathered in are sprouting fungus abundantly..always wondered re that connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Domscard wrote: »
    Something like this, yeah?

CowPie_JeffVanuga2.jpg

muffler!! Such sweet memories there will be of thee.;)

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    muffler!! Such sweet memories there will be of thee.;)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joasia1973

Going back to subject and avoid stupid conversation from before are you able to ell me where are the forest I can go for mushrom picking up around Letterkenny or whole Donegal area?

joasia1973 wrote: »
    Going back to subject and avoid stupid conversation from before
    We dont need back seat moderators thanks.

joasia1973 wrote: »
    are you able to ell me where are the forest I can go for mushrom picking up around Letterkenny or whole Donegal area?
    No, cant help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no good mushroomer would ever divulge where they pick them !

Advertisement