Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffin's Bakery Pizza

Options
  • 21-07-2010 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else tried Griffin's pizza slices? I was absolutely wowed by one on Sunday and every time I think of it I get an insane craving for more. At €3 I think they're amazing value.

The one I ate had feta, green olives and red onion which was fantastic, but afterwards I almost regretted not getting just tomato and cheese, so that I could really appreciate the pizza itself. The base and sauce were fantastic. I complimented the owner afterwards and she said not a lot of people know about the pizza yet. I want to correct that madness! :)

Comments

I usually go there to have their brownies or chocolate eclairs. Never tried their pizzas, but having read that, I think I might get one today!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€3 for a pizza slice?

They had a x% off voucher in the Advertiser last week or the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

True yeah, I like this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Kix wrote: »
    I complimented the owner afterwards and she said not a lot of people know about the pizza yet. I want to correct that madness! :)

The owner is a he! :P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

3 euro a slice?? Steep enough, but if it's as nice as you say I will treat myself one of the days... How fresh are they though, are they made to order???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

The owner is a he! :P:)

Doesnt jimmy have someone running the café for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ryder23

Kix wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried Griffin's pizza slices? I was absolutely wowed by one on Sunday and every time I think of it I get an insane craving for more. At €3 I think they're amazing value.

The one I ate had feta, green olives and red onion which was fantastic, but afterwards I almost regretted not getting just tomato and cheese, so that I could really appreciate the pizza itself. The base and sauce were fantastic. I complimented the owner afterwards and she said not a lot of people know about the pizza yet. I want to correct that madness! :)

Best pizza in Galway by miles and the slices are HUGE! Everyone needs to try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Where are they in Galway? I'm getting hungry reading this thread :)

Walk down Shop Street. It's near where Shop Street parts into Mainguard Street - a green building on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Had one sit in yesterday (3.50 if you sit). It was lovely, kind of similar to the ones from the place next door to Neachtains. That thin NY style slice.

Again a mixed service in there, our waitress was great and efficient, but our friend who we met had waited 20 mins before she could order.

• Advertisement

To be honest, no matter the restaurant, you're going to get mixed service because everybody has bad days.

To be honest, no matter the restaurant, you're going to get mixed service because everybody has bad days.

I've been a customer of the bakery for years, so was delighted when the coffee shop opened, but have to say 50% of the time the service is way below what it should be - by that I mean just staff rudeness and horribly long wait times.

It's not just me - friends say the same thing. I do understand off days but this is different.
    I went in yesterday as I really like the location, the food, and some of the staff.

Service was fine for me yesterday, but my friend had the super-long wait. I am beginning to think it is two particular employees, and if that's the case it's more fixable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The woman who makes the pizza is the same woman who operated Fat Freddys up until about 3 years ago ... which probably explains the decline of that particular place.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Sounds good, must try it next time I'm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Was in there on Saturday and if im not mistaken my plain pizza slice was only 2.50? Also had a glass of white wine which was huge and was around 5.50. Sat upstairs,it was nice and you could hear the buzz off the streets..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not much into pizza, but think it's fantastic that we've got a 2nd non-pub venue to have coffee etc in after 6pm.

Is it open in the evenings? How late? +1 for more evening cafes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm not much into pizza, but think it's fantastic that we've got a 2nd non-pub venue to have coffee etc in after 6pm.

does anyone else think that its retarded that luna cafe doesn't open later with that name? Just me? ok so....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

does anyone else think that its retarded that luna cafe doesn't open later with that name? Just me? ok so....

You're not alone, I always got a kick out of it when walking to the tulsi....but that's probably because I come up with crappy sitcom-esque throwaway jokes about it...

Really would like to try this griffin's pizza though, food-wise Galway's pretty shocking so not gonna get my hopes up or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Ate there last week, yum. Great service too, they helped with the buggy and offered to heat his bottle, simple things but things that seem to have gone out of fashion. I'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yay to a hot food purveyor that does not sell kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

what is it with Galway (or is it in the whole country) Every corner shop, bakery, and every empty building is now being filled with fast food joints - pizza, burgers and kebabs - we are over-run with them - everyone wants in on the game. there must be loads of profit in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

somebody else was banging on about it as well (I think 2 out of their 5 posts was about Griffin's pizza).
    I'll give it a go.
    It's also very hard to find 'nice' brownies in Galway. I mean nice rich texture with bit in in. (Twelve in Barna do nice one but toooo far out for me).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dinneenp wrote: »
    somebody else was banging on about it as well (I think 2 out of their 5 posts was about Griffin's pizza).
    I'll give it a go.
    It's also very hard to find 'nice' brownies in Galway. I mean nice rich texture with bit in in. (Twelve in Barna do nice one but toooo far out for me).

An Tobar Nus do a damned good brownie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

the old malte has a brownie dessert to die for

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pat.Kenny

Had the plain cheese pizza slice a few days ago after seeing this thread...it was unbelievable so thanks! I thought the 2.50 was a bit steep price wise but it did taste damn good so I'll defo be going back when I'm feelin rich. I'm always craving those giant pizza slices after I see them on tv and this one hits the spot! I'm also a serious fan of their brownies, although they're quite expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is it open in the evenings? How late? +1 for more evening cafes :)

Currently Thurs-Sat 'til 10:30pm, and Sun 'til 9:30pm.

They told Mr Just that they're trialling the extended hours for now, so I reckon get in and use it to encourage 'em to keep going.

Advertisement