Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does Mourinho have to achieve with Real this year?

• 21-07-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

What does Jose have to do this year with Real Madrid to justify his appointment and further add to the tag of being "the best manager in the world". IMO he needs at least to win La Liga. Real pushed Barca all the way last year and apart from the head-to-heads between the sides they would have won. Pellegrini done a fine job last year but Madrid wanted the biggest name in the business so he was always doomed.

This year all the pressure is on Real. Mourinho must deliver the League. The CL is a knockout comp. so anything can happen in that but the League has to be wrestled back from Barcelona. I dont think they can do it, this could be one of Mourinho's worst season as manager as he could well end up trophy-less. The first head-to-head comes on the 28/11/10 at Barcelona and the return on the 17/4/11.

It will be fascinating to see how the Madrid faithful react to Jose's negative type of football. This could be a bleak season for Mourinho and he could out of a job next summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

An end to poverty and World Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Put Barca back in their box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

after Pellegrini last season; his remit must surely be to at least win La Liga.

not that i agree with that level of expectation in your first season of any job, but to remain consistent, and to justify sacking Pellegrini, this has to be the minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

He just needs to beat Barca.

I'll be happy then.

I'd also like if he could find a cure for me and some of the other Arsenal fans for disgruntledness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SlickRic wrote: »
    after Pellegrini last season; his remit must surely be to at least win La Liga.

not that i agree with that level of expectation in your first season of any job, but to remain consistent, and to justify sacking Pellegrini, this has to be the minimum.

They have sacked managers that have won the league before.

But yeah, I reckon he'll have to at least win the league but I think it hugely depends how they fair in both Classicos and how defensive his play is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Sexy football and to win the league and do well in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He has to stop Real from their loosing run of Clasicos.

He has to win the league.

he has to progress further than the last 16 of the CL.

A Copa Del Rey will also be fancied.

If he can do the above, his remit the following season will be the Treble which Barca completed in 2009.

Should Barca win the League and progress further in the CL again, he could well be out on his ass.

I think he will win the CL this season though, but not the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Win the league.

Win the treble next season.

Then leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He has to win at least one of the CL or La Liga imo or he'll be goneski. Although there isn't many other big name coaches you could replace him with so he might get the two years even if his first year isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

oconnon9 wrote: »
    An end to poverty and World Peace

Yeah I'm sick of world peace too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Win both La Liga and the CL.

Improve the record against Barca

Play attractive football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

He has to wait till Sir Alex retires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He will be given at least two years IMO to win something, although his record against Barcelona is good with previous clubs. Hopefully they win La Liga and the CL with him at the helm and he leaves after 2/3 years of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he'll be given a 2nd year if he doesnt win

traditionally, he wins big in his second year

with porto, he was appointed in january. in his second year, he won the league, cup and uefa cup

with chelsea, he won straight away

with inter, he won the league first year and in the second he won the treble.

he will be given the second regardless IMO. marca are on his side, so the public opinion wont turn against him as quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

he has to win something league or champions league

i think he will only be given 2 seasons at most if he is not playing atrractive football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

if he doesn't win the league this year he will be shown the door

if he hasn't the team playing the most attractive football in europe by the end of season two and winning the league again he will be shown the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

First and foremost he has to get the egotistical nature out of that team and find a healthy balance within the team.

If they can remain consistent then they can achieve almost anything.

Jose is easily one of the best coaches in the game and I reckon he can do the Champions League and La Liga double providing the balance in the team is there and consitency is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

event wrote:
    he'll be given a 2nd year if he doesnt win

traditionally, he wins big in his second year

with porto, he was appointed in january. in his second year, he won the league, cup and uefa cup

with chelsea, he won straight away

with inter, he won the league first year and in the second he won the treble.

he will be given the second regardless IMO. marca are on his side, so the public opinion wont turn against him as quick

The public did not turn on Pellegrini. Not by a long shot. It is down to the whims of Mr Perez, which Marca will broadcast to their hearts delight.

Re his record, why would he not have gotten a second season at any of them? Real madrid is a completely different animal to any other club in football with regard to their hiring and firing.

Another thing that Jose has to achieve, and it has yet to be mentioned, is the patience of Perez. One or two bad results early doors could see his popularity with those (his) who matters could be obliterated immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

he has to take every game on its merits there Bill, there.:pac:

he has to get it down and pass it. sign paul scholes and get rid of all the playstations to achieve anything there Bill.

Thats my analysys as a senior analyst,there Bill.....there.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

gimmick wrote: »
    The public did not turn on Pellegrini. Not by a long shot. It is down to the whims of Mr Perez, which Marca will broadcast to their hearts delight.

Re his record, why would he not have gotten a second season at any of them? Real madrid is a completely different animal to any other club in football with regard to their hiring and firing.

Another thing that Jose has to achieve, and it has yet to be mentioned, is the patience of Perez. One or two bad results early doors could see his popularity with those (his) who matters could be obliterated immediately.

sorry, i didnt meant the public as such, but more marca. When they start to turn against you, it really is curtains.
    I think they'll stay on his side for a while yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement