Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer/Laptop Repairs

• 21-07-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Looks like I have some sort of virus on my laptop. It loads up fine until it gets to when my desktop screen should come up but my screen then just goes bright red. No options.

Safe mode is still available to run.

Basically I'm pretty computer illiterate and just need someone to have a look at it. Does any one know of or could recommend a shop or somehwere that may be able to fix it + depending on the problem keep all my data. Dublin city centre preferably.

Any idea of costs? really don't want to have to get a new laptop and lose all my old data.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

download from another computer malwarebytes and run it in safe mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chocz

cheers, now given im pretty rubbish at this stuff! - how would i trfr it to my laptop once downloaded from other comp? USB it? How does it run in safe mode - as when ever I'm in it can't seem to run anyting.

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

To get into Safe Mode, press the F8 key when the computer is booting up (after the initial BIOS screen and before you see any Windows stuff).

If you're having bother catching it in time then just tap the F8 key every second or so after turning the machine on.

Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking if you need to download anything) loads a stripped down version of Windows so you've a better chancing of locating problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Why do you think it's a Virus? Does it say anything when you boot up, like "Your computer is infected with a virus..." Does it display a solid red background or red lines? I would eliminate the screen/graphics first. Do you have a desktop Monitor? If your laptop has VGA out you may be able to hook it up to your Monitor to see if you can get to your desktop environment.

The VGA out port looks like this:

notebook_vga_port.jpg

This user here has a problem which may be similar to yours, have a look and see if it sounds like what is happening to you.

A reasonable PC Repair shop would charge €25 to look at it and give you a prognosis but some may charge more. I am not in Dublin so I am afraid I cannot recommend anyone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

If you dont get it sorted give me a shout

Id say approx 60 -80 Euro for time to copy data off drive and fix or rebuild windows install

Normally I would remove the drive connect via usb to another PC ,backup any accessible data
    scan fix from the other laptop and then check all updates are installed when its back in the original laptop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try f8 safe mode,last known good configuration,or safe mode directory restore mode, this fixes/replaces windows os boot up files .90per cent of the time,its the windows damaged dat files that stop the boot up process.
    or try r repair command,from the os cdrom
    see here http://www.ehow.com/how_5619961_replace-windows-boot-files.html
    if you have a windows os cd/dvd disk.

Advertisement