Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a desire, What network is cheapest?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im buying a HTC desire (on friday hopefully) but im caught between what network to go for.

Im currently with o2 on a PAYG phone.
    Definalty will be going bill pay i think, I cant decide which would be cheapest.

o2 is €40pm on their cheapest package and ya get 150 mins and texts, and free calls and texts to other o2'ers. Oh, and 2Gb of data per month.

Meteor is €35pm with 200 mins and 200 texts and NO free calls and texts to other meteor'ers! Also get 1GB of data per month.

Vodafone's website is terrible so i got sick of that and didnt even look.

Im not sure about 3 either!

Any advice anyone can give me would be great! Whatever the cheapest monthly bill is! Ill go for that :-)

Oh, this is probably in the wrong forum so mods, move as you wish :-)

Looking forward to your replys!

ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hi all,

Im buying a HTC desire (on friday hopefully) but im caught between what network to go for.

Im currently with o2 on a PAYG phone.
    Definalty will be going bill pay i think, I cant decide which would be cheapest.

o2 is €40pm on their cheapest package and ya get 150 mins and texts, and free calls and texts to other o2'ers. Oh, and 2Gb of data per month.

Meteor is €35pm with 200 mins and 200 texts and NO free calls and texts to other meteor'ers! Also get 1GB of data per month.

Vodafone's website is terrible so i got sick of that and didnt even look.

Im not sure about 3 either!

Any advice anyone can give me would be great! Whatever the cheapest monthly bill is! Ill go for that :-)

Oh, this is probably in the wrong forum so mods, move as you wish :-)

Looking forward to your replys!

ta.

Fear not my friend since your on O2 , if you port over to meteor you'll get free calls and texts to meteor on top of your 200 calls and texts. The offer lasts till 31st of next month.So plenty of time

So meteor is the way to go. but they are having stock problems at the moment so is difficult to get one. If you do tell us where you got it because i'm planning on buying one too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

thinking about this for awhile, and its to hard to tell you what to go for without knowing more details from you.

How much , you call, text and to which networks, and how much data you use.

Also, you may not be able to get hold of a desire, as most networks are out of stock of them at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

im already on meteor bill pay due upgrade soon looking to get the desire im on old plan 20 a month....

i would like to change to that plan too but will i also get the free meteor to meteor texts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,237 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd hold on another 10 days or so to see do the networks bring out plans for the iphone 4 they'll also be suitable for the desire.

@cragiles, the free meteor calls and texts is only for new customers, if your with them already they won't give it to you, even if you threaten to leave.

I'd hold on another 10 days or so to see do the networks bring out plans for the iphone 4 they'll also be suitable for the desire.

@cragiles, the free meteor calls and texts is only for new customers, if your with them already they won't give it to you, even if you threaten to leave.
    Well i'm on meteor PAYG now , for me to get this offer i have to port over to Vodafone and then port back . Pain in the ass if you ask me and i don't know how long the porting process will take :mad:

It's terrible,meteor really do treat their current customers like crap

• Advertisement

Are you sure?, I thought when going from pre pay to bill pay smart plans you'd get the free calls and texts offer, it's only people who aren't new to meteor bill pay won't get it i.e someone changing plan or due their upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Go meteor, they do the cheapest mobile internet add-on (10gb for 15 euro). That would easily cover all phone internet use + tethering laptops etc. Speeds are actually pretty good these days for phone tethering. Also get the last.fm app. It's awesome and the main reason I need that kind of quota for a smartphone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I recently signed up to Meteor's Bill Pay Smart Lite offer of 200 texts/mins, free meteor to meteor texts/calls and 1GB data for €30. I don't want to move from this plan but want to buy a Desire.

If I were to buy a PAYG Desire from o2 (seems to be cheaper than buying a sim-free one) would it have to be unlocked to be able to use my Meteor sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Well FYI my meteor desire has an o2 boot screen :D. But I got one of the first few. Not sure if HTC phones CAN be locked in the usual manner...

I recently signed up to Meteor's Bill Pay Smart Lite offer of 200 texts/mins, free meteor to meteor texts/calls and 1GB data for €30. I don't want to move from this plan but want to buy a Desire.

If I were to buy a PAYG Desire from o2 (seems to be cheaper than buying a sim-free one) would it have to be unlocked to be able to use my Meteor sim?

AFAIK 99% of HTC Desires are sim free there have been some horror stories where some people but in their meteor sim and find out it's locked, an O2 HTC will have the bubbles on the load screen
    If it is locked are methods on the internet to unlock but they cost upwards of 30E

Since you have bill pay lite your are on a 30 day contract, right?:confused:. If i were you i'd cancel that and apply again wanting to buy the desire , that way you'd get it for 150-odd euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Fear not my friend since your on O2 , if you port over to meteor you'll get free calls and texts to meteor on top of your 200 calls and texts. The offer lasts till 31st of next month.So plenty of time

So meteor is the way to go. but they are having stock problems at the moment so is difficult to get one. If you do tell us where you got it because i'm planning on buying one too:D

This isn't correct. Free meteor calls and texts are supposidly only available to new customers(you can easily get around this by saying you will leave) and only on the smart LITE plans, i.e sim only, no subsidised phone.

If you sign up to a smart plan contract , starting at 30 euro/month for 200mins, 200 txts and 1 gig data, you can avail of the subsidised phone, but no free meteor calls and texts-this is only on the 1 month contract sim only plans (no subsidised phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Meteor has the worst 3g coverage though so if you live outside the pale then you should think twice about using the phone for data.

On the plus side your data allowance would last without fear of going over the cap. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Meteors new deal is 200 min 200 texts free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 1G allowance, so i would go with that for 30 a month on a 18month contract. Think the Desire is 180 on that price plan however

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Meteors new deal is 200 min 200 texts free meteor to meteor calls and texts and 1G allowance, so i would go with that for 30 a month on a 18month contract. Think the Desire is 180 on that price plan however

I'm on the 30e per month plan from meteor on an 18 month contract. I picked it up last wednesday from CPW for a grand total of €142.99 with a leather case at a reduced cost. Don't know if I was just lucky on the day, but was pleasantly surprised as had expected to spend minimum of €170 on the phone alone.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    This isn't correct. Free meteor calls and texts are supposidly only available to new customers

he was wrong yesterday but he's right today, you now get the free meteor calls and texts if your moving from pay as you go to bill pay on meteor.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    This isn't correct. Free meteor calls and texts are supposidly only available to new customers(you can easily get around this by saying you will leave) and only on the smart LITE plans, i.e sim only, no subsidised phone.

If you sign up to a smart plan contract , starting at 30 euro/month for 200mins, 200 txts and 1 gig data, you can avail of the subsidised phone, but no free meteor calls and texts-this is only on the 1 month contract sim only plans (no subsidised phone)

I was told by the guy in the shop that if i port away then port back when buying the phone i'll get the free offer. :confused::confused: Hope this is still the case.

@DrunkMonkey you have a link??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I definitely don't want to lose my free meteor to meteor texts and calls, which seems to be what will happen if I get the phone as part of a bill pay deal. Thinking about buying sim-free from Pixmania but have heard some bad stories on here about people who have bought other products from them.

Has anyone bought their Desire from Pixmania and were there any issues?

Advertisement