Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult to learn these songs on guitar?

• 21-07-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of learning the guitar with the hope of playing a couple of songs for a 50th wedding anniversary in March next year. I know I have to learn to play, do all tha basics and so on but I really would like to do 3 or 4 of the list below and am wondering which would be the easiest or hardest to learn.

Anybody got any ideas?

Tbh the first 4 or 5 would be the most important but what do ye think?

Thanks for any replies.
    1. Viva la Quinta Brigade
    2. The Parting Glass
    3. Hand me down me bible
    4. Redemption Song
    5. And the band played Waltzing Matilda
    6. A New England
    7. Lisdoonvarna
    8. Black Velvet Band
    9. Town I loved so well
    10. The Auld Triangle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

6 months of reasonable dedication should be enough to get you through basic versions of those songs, i.e simplified strumming patterns.

My advise would be to ignore specific songs in the beginning and just get a general grounding in guitar basics.

Just my 2c, hard to give timings on picking up a skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

would you be singing them aswell as playing them?
    If so, get a guitar asap :) I found it took a lot of practice to reconcile singing and playing at the same time at the beginning.

But 6 months should do it for those songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

bad2dabone wrote: »
    would you be singing them aswell as playing them?

I should hope not ! :pac:

Thanks for the replies, yeah I know I have to get the basics but I've no idea about music and was wondering how difficult they are technically.

Like I said for personal reasons its the first 5 I want to learn properly in a simplistic way, the others would be just a bonus.

Advertisement