Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bishops Palace Gardens

• 21-07-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Just read that the City Council have commissioned Diarmuid Gavin to design/build the new gardens around the Bishops Palace. The garden to the front will be a traditional 18th Century design with the garden adjacent to Colbeck Street being a more contemporary design. Sounds good to me.

I believe the Bishops Palace itself is gonna be laid out in the style of an old 18th century house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Just read this on the Munsters website, really good news I think. I'm delighted to see the city finally beginning to open up a bit more in terms of new developments. I'm a huge fan of urban green areas so between this and the new parklands being developed out the cork road the City is going to be a major contender for such renovations.
    Next time I'm home I wont recognise the place if it keeps up at this rate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Yeah. Agree 100%. Makes you think what the WCC were spending their money on during the boom years. This part of town is starting to take off in a big way. Walking up Henrietta St the other day I noticed that there is a new building goin in where the old garage used to be (Glancys I think). I heard it gonna be some kinda of glass showroom. The picture on the hoardings looks pretty impressive. Just goes to show you what people can do with a positive attitude. Come on Waterford!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Yeah. Agree 100%. Makes you think what the WCC were spending their money on during the boom years. This part of town is starting to take off in a big way. Walking up Henrietta St the other day I noticed that there is a new building goin in where the old garage used to be (Glancys I think). I heard it gonna be some kinda of glass showroom. The picture on the hoardings looks pretty impressive. Just goes to show you what people can do with a positive attitude. Come on Waterford!!

This could be Waterford's decade yet - things are looking up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Walking up Henrietta St the other day I noticed that there is a new building goin in where the old garage used to be (Glancys I think). I heard it gonna be some kinda of glass showroom.
    Yeah it's a new glass company going in there, set up by former Waterford Crystal employees, Irish Handmade Glass Ltd:
    http://www2.wit.ie/News/MainBody,41152,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id say they're very limited in what they can do with it because as soon as the sun goes down you can be sure all all sorts will be going in there tearing up the place,
    no point in putting in a pond if someones going to use it as a toilet after a few cans or small plants if people will pull them up,
    you may think im being cynical but i see it done the hole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

jayboi wrote: »
    Id say they're very limited in what they can do with it because as soon as the sun goes down you can be sure all all sorts will be going in there tearing up the place,
    no point in putting in a pond if someones going to use it as a toilet after a few cans or small plants if people will pull them up,
    you may think im being cynical but i see it done the hole time.

You're right, why even try?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

merlante wrote: »

Ita not saying that they shouldnt try im say they will be limited in what they can as its an open space in the middle of town and pime spot for vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the features of Gavins design will be polished aluminium and glass guntowers on top of the Waterford Crystal centre I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

merlante wrote: »

Spoken like a true cynic! After all why should people even try to make the city more appealing? Why don't we all sit around (in the rain), have a good auld moan, reminisce about the good ol' days & watch the place decay instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Spoken like a true cynic! After all why should people even try to make the city more appealing? Why don't we all sit around (in the rain), have a good auld moan, reminisce about the good ol' days & watch the place decay instead!

I'm sure Merlante was being sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

could they not put a big iron railing around the garden to keep the scummers out at night-time & put a strict & enforced no alcohol rule in for the daytime?

Advertisement