Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agatha Christie alternatives?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hiya,

I'm a massive fan of Agatha Christie but unfortunately I have read nearly all her mysteries at this point. Since theres no chance of her writing any new stuff, does anyone know of any other authors similar to her? I love murder mysteries but as in whodunnit types, not "lets describe the grisly murder is absolute detail" types :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tdot

Hiya,

I'm a massive fan of Agatha Christie but unfortunately I have read nearly all her mysteries at this point. Since theres no chance of her writing any new stuff, does anyone know of any other authors similar to her? I love murder mysteries but as in whodunnit types, not "lets describe the grisly murder is absolute detail" types :p

Hi,
    I just started reading my first agatha christie book (the murder of Roger Ackroyd) and its brilliant!! i dont think you'll find another write with the same skills. if you do, make sure to reply to this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

unfortunately I have read nearly all her mysteries at this point

I really recommend some of her writing as Mary Westmacott - Absent in the Spring is a brilliant book and Giant's Bread is also well worth reading.
    The Parker Pyne books are quirky and I really liked them.

If its definitely whodunnit you need then to wean yourself off I could suggest David Roberts' series with Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Brown (names say it all really :D). In the classic style, no pathology reports here. Not up to the same standard but nothing is. *Sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I would suggest Dorothy L Sayers and PD James. Great mystery writers in similar tradition of Christie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sherlock Holmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Thanks for the recommendations guys, nice to have an idea where to start looking! I've also been told to look at a writer called Peter Robinson, does anyone know how similar he is in style?

• Advertisement
Advertisement