Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many owners

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

lads is there anyway to know how many people have owned a gun, im looking at shotguns, mainly dealers, but i looked at one private... it was an awful reck, the lad selling said it was 2 years old, maybe he was right but i walked away from it, just wondering can you check how many people have licensed a firearm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

jap gt wrote: »
    lads is there anyway to know how many people have owned a gun, im looking at shotguns, mainly dealers, but i looked at one private... it was an awful reck, the lad selling said it was 2 years old, maybe he was right but i walked away from it, just wondering can you check how many people have licensed a firearm

It should be on the PULSE system , however that data is covered by DATA Protection act, and a big Burley Garda:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A somewhat basic and simple way of getting some info on the firearm is to ask the name of the dealer that the owner bought from. Go to the dealer or ring on the phone (don't know how much info you'll get on the phone though). Explain you are thinking of buying the firearm and you want to know if he bought it new. Was it second hand. In other words is what the seller telling you correct. Also has he traded in other firearms to the dealer. What condition were they in. This will give you a small insight into the condition the seller usually keeps his firearms.

Rule of thumb is if someone trades a firearm and gives it into the dealer dirty, fouled, in bad shape with little to no minding then its a pattern and a sign of the care he gives his firearms.

This will helpful to a degree and if the seller is standing by his comments to you there should be no problem with you checking out the firearm. Lets face it some/most/alot of guns can cost the same or more than a car. You would not just buy it on the dealers say so. same applies to firearms. Have someone with more knowledge with you (a mechanic as such) and do as much checking out as you can.

The best thing to do is exactly what you done. When unsure or uneasy about any details - WALK AWAY.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

The amount of owners would not be an issue for me. Condition is what i look for not age. I have just sold a 1977 Browning 12g to a dealer, he couldn't believe the how good a condition it was in. It was used by me for rough game shooting and the man who had it before was a farmer who used it for vermin control. I haven't a clue how many owners it had.

I have seen 2-4 year old guns that looked like they had 30 years of abuse.
    If it looks bad then it hasn't been looked after, nothing to do with age imo.

P.s i went slightly off topic. Sorry!
    What type of gun are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

a rough shooter, more than likely o/u but wont rule out semi if it felt right

Advertisement