Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new shopping centre in Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I'd welcome a second super market, think Dunnes have it, to bring down the high prices of Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I don't know where Knocks and Readland is, but I take it from the names (Peter & Evan Newell) that they are related to the late Colonel Newell and that it's his old land that they're talking about?

Edit: Actually I've just checked it out on Google Maps and found Readsland and it is the land I'm thinking of. Link. The motorway isn't on that map yet for whatever reason, but the land is on the link road between the M3 and the old N3.

A new supermarket is badly needed. Not sure how well other new units would do though.

To my knowledge The Knocks is essentially the park and it's surrounding housing estates, so I think the shopping centre will be in that old farmyard in the dead centre of the village, behind the old Gogan's etc. I think there was an application for a plaza or centre there already too. So yes, that is what I think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I don't know where Knocks and Readland is, but I take it from the names (Peter & Evan Newell) that they are related to the late Colonel Newell and that it's his old land that they're talking about?

Edit: Actually I've just checked it out on Google Maps and found Readsland and it is the land I'm thinking of. Link. The motorway isn't on that map yet for whatever reason, but the land is on the link road between the M3 and the old N3.

A new supermarket is badly needed. Not sure how well other new units would do though.

It's a bit silly there units in dunshauglin sitting there 5 years nearly that no one use's :rolleyes: as you walk up to maildunne on your right hand side oposit lawless's but amen to the new supermerket that super value is a farse of ripping people of...

It's a bit silly there units in dunshauglin sitting there 5 years nearly that no one use's :rolleyes: as you walk up to maildunne on your right hand side oposit lawless's but amen to the new supermerket that super value is a farse of ripping people of...

Yeah it's such a pity but they have done absolutely nothing to help those units. No proper parking or anything. I feel so sorry for the people who own Venice (Italian restaurant around the back of that). It's a lovely little restaurant and they were probably told that all the units were going to be filled and it would be a busy little area...now it's like a ghost town back there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Looks like it's time to resurrect this old thread again :D

Dunshaughlin=Recession free zone?

Speaking of those empty units an Apache Pizza is opening up there now.

Apace Pizza....the worst of the pizza chains :(

We badly need competition for Pizzamia though. Their pizzas are great but they're such a rip off! I got a 9" pizza and Italian potatoes delivered (2km down the road) and it cost me over €16!!!

Yeah, we need competition for all the damned Macaris/Fontana empire around the village. Somehow I don't think Pizza Mia will lower their prices, they'll slot into the roll of independant pizzeria as opposed to Apache's branded stuff. And they've different pizza styles as it is, each will see themselves as an alternate to the other I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

I look forward to competition in this competition-free village. We ought to start a petition in support of it, but then again we did that some years ago to get Lidl in and the same owner of a certain supermarket in Dunshaughlin spearheaded objections then. I'm just back from not-so-Super Valu and just to give a tiny sample of the pricing policy that goes on there:

Club Orange 500ml Contour bottle: €1.25
    Club Orange 500ml Contour bottle plus 25% extra free: €1.38

I pointed it out to the guy behind the till and he shrugged his shoulders. Tiocfaidh ár lá.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Club Orange 500ml Contour bottle: €1.25
    Club Orange 500ml Contour bottle plus 25% extra free: €1.38

I noticed the same with Super Valu in Ratoath except it was lucazade sport. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

There will be a large appeal lodged by the residents at the back of the proposed development as it will push a lot of traffic into a former cul de sac. As for competition, if another large chain comes to the village all smaller shops will go first and they will be free to up the prices. Lots of unused units around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hurlingfan11

The prices are bad enough but the service isn't far behind. A shake up is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Borderfox wrote: »
    There will be a large appeal lodged by the residents at the back of the proposed development as it will push a lot of traffic into a former cul de sac. As for competition, if another large chain comes to the village all smaller shops will go first and they will be free to up the prices. Lots of unused units around at the moment

What smaller shops are left? Harkins is gone. Gogan's is gone. O'Dwyers is gone, Mac's is gone and even the short-lived Centra is gone. None of these would be competing with the major supermarkets at any rate. In competition terms alone, there was much more competition in Dunshaughlin 20 years ago.

And the last I heard Not-so-Super Valu is now selling newspapers, something which is affecting the sales of the longstanding Tara News above any other shop. How long before Tara News also goes and Not-so-Super Valu has all supermarket and newsagent trade in the entire village?

Dunshaughlin needs competition in this sector badly.

Advertisement