Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Seems the Costa has halted the fitting works. The Coming soon Sticker is coming off and no work has been done in a few weeks. Wonder what happened. Maybe they realized a 3. Cafe in such a small area might not be the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was in the shopping centre last week and saw a sign about a new food place coming soon. I think it was called Salad Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

I was in the shopping centre last week and saw a sign about a new food place coming soon. I think it was called Salad Bowl.

Maybe these guys

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/salad-box-opens-first-irish-restaurant-in-cork-856025.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What is the construction site at the point all about?

blue_blue wrote: »

More shops is always good, hope it doesn't turn into a food Hall though. Was hoping there would be retail at some point too

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    What is the construction site at the point all about?

Next to the three arena is the exo bulding, next to the gibson is 2 studen accommodation blocks, facing the river next to 3 arena is a hotel and also various office and apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moving jobs back to the one I had beside this next week - too many dry Starbucks sandwiches and queues in Spar were part of a tapestry of reasons to leave (the other important ones have been fixed too - not going back just for Eddies :pac:) so I'd be OK with a food hall - however I can see why actual residents and the cinema operators would prefer real shops.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Next to the three arena is the exo bulding, next to the gibson is 2 studen accommodation blocks, facing the river next to 3 arena is a hotel and also various office and apartments

Right so if it’s gonna be like that....

Specifically .. The area along the R131 East Wall Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hes already answered your question. "..Next to the three arena is the exo bulding..."

beauf wrote: »
    Hes already answered your question. "..Next to the three arena is the exo bulding..."

And what is the “exo building”?

• Advertisement

It a building called "exo" more here...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=exo+building

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Mr.S wrote: »
    Surprised it lasted this long tbh, the cinema is dead at the best of times and that coffee shop would only ever have people waiting for the films to start and not buying anything!

The cinema will get much busier once that student accommodation place opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Agree , it will turn into a nice little earner for Odeon

beauf wrote: »
    It a building called "exo" more here...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=exo+building

Or here, for those that don't want to deal with the silly sarcasm - https://www.theexobuilding.com/

An office block

Dunnes court bid over Point struck out

The Court of Appeal has struck out as "entirely without merit" a legal action brought by Dunnes Stores as part of a long-running dispute over the Point Village development in Dublin's docklands.

Dunnes claimed Point Village Development (PVD) had, in its construction of Point Square in the Point Village, failed to comply with a clause of a 2008 agreement regarding the quality and standing of the square in the development. On that basis, Dunnes refused to release a €3m sum payable to PVD on completion of the square.

The relevant clause provided the design and specification of Point Square shall be to a "first-class standard" akin to the newly redeveloped Eyre Square, Galway, Grand Canal Square, Dublin, and the Civic Plaza at Dundrum Town Centre.

Mr Justice Gerard Hogan said Dunnes' action was "abusive" because it was brought despite an independent expert architect having been appointed in October 2014 to assess whether Point Square had been completed in accordance with the 2008 agreement.

That adjudication remained on hold because of this case, which was "an attempt to frustrate and repudiate a commercial agreement negotiated at arms length" to which Dunnes "had freely agreed".

Dunnes took the case against PVD and Paul McCann and Stephen Tennant in their capacity as receivers appointed by Nama over PVD.

The receivers and PVD appealed after the High Court refused to stay Dunnes' case to allow the independent expert process to proceed to a decision.

Giving the three-judge appeal court's unanimous judgment yesterday, Mr Justice Hogan said Dunnes' case should not just be stayed, but should be struck out under the appeal court's inherent jurisdiction as "an abuse of process".

The 2008 agreement provided, if there was a dispute between the sides as to whether Point Square was completed in accordance with that agreement, an independent architect, acting as expert, be appointed to determine that dispute with the expert's decision "final and binding" on the parties.

The entire object of that was to achieve a speedy and final resolution of the dispute, even if the ultimate conclusions and the reasoning contained in an expert's adjudication is not always perfect or completely justified on the evidence.

There were compelling policy reasons which warrant the courts respecting parties choosing to submit to adjudication by expert in commercial disputes of this nature, he added.

In this case, the 2008 agreement provided for the independent architect to give his decision within 20 working days but the effect of litigation was to frustrate the underlying objective of the sides, the judge found.

Thats 18 Million lost by Dunnes on this saga , they would have been better advised to open the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Your joking right. It's a great cinema the way it is. The last thing you want when going to see a film is fecking students in the cinema making noise and probably trying to get it on in the back aisle. Besides most of them these days watch everything on there phone anyway and will probably not be able to afford to go to the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would have thought the same they would watch it online. But the stats suggest that age group are among the biggest cinema goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ceebee1981

The students that can afford those apartments will be ok with a trip to the cinema I think.

ceebee1981 wrote: »
    The students that can afford those apartments will be ok with a trip to the cinema I think.

Agree the rent will be in the region of at least 1k per month from Sept to May with short term leases to summer visitors

Latest News on Dunnes Stores Saga

Dunnes Stores has taken ‘no steps’ to fit out Point Village store
    Anchor unit is important to development of Dublin docklands site, receiver tells court.

Dunnes Stores has breached an agreement by taking “no steps whatsoever” to start the fit out of its proposed Point Village store in Dublin, the Commercial Court has heard.

Point Village Development (PVD) is seeking orders requiring Dunnes to specifically perform its obligations under a 2008 development agreement and subsequent settlement agreements over the matter in 2010.

In the original 2008 agreement, PVD and businessman Harry Crosbie agreed with Dunnes that it would develop a shopping centre at the Point, to include 35 retail units together with a substantial anchor unit which Dunnes would fit out and operate.

Receivers Paul McCann and Stephen Tennant were appointed in 2013 over the assets of PVD and certain assets of Mr Crosbie, including their interests in the Point Village.

PVD, acting through the receivers, says that once certain matters, including that binding leases or agreements for leases, had been exchanged in relation to at least seven other ground-floor retail units in the development, Dunnes was required to begin the fit-out.

Dunnes was also required to pay €15 million to PVD, the court heard.

In February 2016, nine such leases were exchanged and Dunnes had until March 30th, 2016, to start work.

However, Mr McCann says in a sworn statement that this did not happen and Dunnes also failed to release the €15 million.

Dunnes has appealed a High Court decision requiring it to pay the money and that is due for hearing next May.

Mr McCann said the opening of the anchor unit is important to the operation and success of the Point Village. The longer the delay, the greater the prospect of further delays in prospective tenants of the smaller units being prepared to open, he says.

A successful shopping centre with an anchor tenant is situ is an important part of the creation of a thriving hub in the area, he said.

On Monday, Mr Justice Robert Haughton admitted the case to the fast-track Commercial Court and adjourned it to October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Mr.S wrote: »
    Odeon is a €5 mid week, I think they'll be fine :D

I Suppose.
    ceebee1981 wrote: »

Good point.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Scaffolding at the front of the Student apartments came down in the last few days, it looks well.... But I can't see the entire complex being finished at the end of Sept in time for the beginning of college terms

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

geecee wrote: »
    Scaffolding at the front of the Student apartments came down in the last few days, it looks well.... But I can't see the entire complex being finished at the end of Sept in time for the beginning of college terms

I also don't see it happening by early September given the fact the way things looks like at the moment...

Expect to see elements of the 1st block opened by late Sept.

The first block should be open by end of september.It's moving forward quite quickly now and the noise in the morning is finally bearable (my gaff faces the construction) was a nightmare for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

subpar wrote: »
    Latest News on Dunnes Stores Saga

Dunnes Stores has taken ‘no steps’ to fit out Point Village store
    Anchor unit is important to development of Dublin docklands site, receiver tells court.

That whole Dunnes situation is bizarre tbh. I can understand their decision not to open when we were in the depths of recession but nowadays things have picked up and there are plenty of people living down in East Wall to sustain a supermarket. Yet they still havent opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are still doing shopfitting on Insomnia at the rate of about half an hours work twice a week. It might open in 2020 at this stage

L1011 wrote: »
    They are still doing shopfitting on Insomnia at the rate of about half an hours work twice a week. It might open in 2020 at this stage

I really don't know whats going on there, the Coming soo sign is slowly coming off, there seems to be near 0 work there and there is a To Let sign up again. I messaged Insomnia on Facebook and Twitter to see whats up but no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

I remember hearing they were having issues with lack of drainage and Aircon condenser space... seems it wasn't too well thought through!

Last I heard they were seeking permission to cut through the slab into the basement and place their utilities there

They also have an issue with lack of exterior signage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

Today I spoke with one of the guys that work in student accommodation site. I asked him whats the plan for the opening. He said in couple of weeks (probably 3) they will partially open some levels in the one close to Luas line. This will be a partial opening he said. I also asked about Tesco that was mentioned some months ago in the forum. He said Centra is opening in the ground floor and they even work till 10 in the evening. I guess they are also pushing to open the same time as the building. Thats all from me for the moment.

Advertisement