Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "shop on-site" is a big selling point for foreign students who want to get everything in one package so I'd expect it to open with the first units or barely after.

Badly needed during the Buildergeddon hours in Spar anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Still doesn't look ready

There are shopfitters in the unit beside Boco in Spencer Dock, not heard suggestions for what it'll be yet

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

L1011 wrote: »
    Still doesn't look ready

There are shopfitters in the unit beside Boco in Spencer Dock, not heard suggestions for what it'll be yet

I think I saw a PP notice before to turn the unit next to Boca into temporary office space... Hopefully this is not the case and it will be the long awaited Tesco express!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed. The street from the luas bridge towards Point is fairly sterile with no shops or cafés apart from Boca. Let's hope more start opening. I'd love if that massive unit on corner of Spencer Dock apartments opposite Boca had some large restaurant or bar to give life to the corner. Ive passed it every day for 10 years coming out of the docklands train. Perhaps when all those new offices, Dublin Landings etc are finished, it will be viable.

• Advertisement

Fitters in Insomnia again. Also insane bustle around Host - can see furniture and people cleaning the windows from the inside. Suspect they'll be on site 24/7 and having to prioritize rooms based on expected tenants arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The students would want some serious dough to be doing their shop in Centra. I suppose though to be living there they're not shy a penny. There'll be some amount of offo sales :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Recalling how this area looked in 2005 this is some transformation. Streets that were derelict and deserted now full of regeneration and life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

cgcsb wrote: »
    The students would want some serious dough to be doing their shop in Centra. I suppose though to be living there they're not shy a penny. There'll be some amount of offo sales :-)

They say Centra will not open together with the building. It will be in the next couple of months after the grand opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Anyone try the salad box or whatever the new place is called...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ongarboy wrote: »
    Ive passed it every day for 10 years coming out of the docklands train. Perhaps when all those new offices, Dublin Landings etc are finished, it will be viable.
    Slightly off-topic, but is there a path or what to the train station up the side of that building? I see bunches of people coming out in rush hour, was always wondering where they were coming from.

Exclusive: Johnny Ronan in €180m deal for last waterfront site in Dublin Docklands

Developer Johnny Ronan has secured the last remaining waterfront site in Dublin’s north Docklands for a figure in the region of €180m, Independent.ie can reveal.

The price being paid by Ronan Group Real Estate (RGRE) and partners Colony Capital represents a premium of up to 50pc on the €120m price joint agents Savills Ireland and Cushman & Wakefield had been guiding when they brought the 4.6 acre ‘Project Waterfront’site holding to the market just over one month ago.

Located within the Dublin Docklands Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) next to the 3 Arena and the Point Village, the holding comprises two adjacent sites and comes with planning permission for 420 apartments and 300,216 sq ft (17,891 sq m) of offices distributed across four blocks.

The site’s potential could be far greater however according to feasibility studies which suggest the Government’s recently-revised planning guidelines could push the number of apartments to between 494 and 526 units. The commercial scheme was granted a ten-year planning permission in December 2017, while the residential scheme has a five-year permission, also granted in December 2017.

Slightly off-topic, but is there a path or what to the train station up the side of that building? I see bunches of people coming out in rush hour, was always wondering where they were coming from.

Up the side of the canal - there's an underpass under Sheriff Street in to the train that, probably the majority of people getting off the train use it; a few climb the stairs to Sheriff Street.

Other side of the building - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Up the side of the canal - there's an underpass under Sheriff Street in to the train that, probably the majority of people getting off the train use it; a few climb the stairs to Sheriff Street.

THanks, I think a bunch of them were walking through the open sections of the complex, from the canal side to the other side, and so appeared to be coming out of the other side of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So Insomnia appear to no longer be going into the unit on the corner of North Wall Avenue and Mayor Street. It is now a cafe called Voyager and looks almost ready to open. Oddly though there was an Insomnia van parked outside it for much of today. Maybe Insomnia signs will appear as there is no over window signage yet.

ETA: Voyager is a new coffee blend from Insomnia: https://www.insomnia.ie/whats-brewing/article/introducing-our-new-colombian-single-origin-medium-roast-coffee

It's branded insomnia now. Has to be open by Monday, there's stock on the shelves and all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

THanks, I think a bunch of them were walking through the open sections of the complex, from the canal side to the other side, and so appeared to be coming out of the other side of the building.

They were possibly taking short cuts to their work. It's possibly quicker to go through Spencer Dock apartments walkway to the offices up near Castleforbes St/point village then walking to Luas track and turning left.

Either way does it matter that different sets of commuters made their way to different destinations via different routes? Hardly unusual! We're not all going to be travelling the exact same direction.

It wouldn't be any shorter (a very quick map measure has it coming out as a whole meter *longer*, easily a rounding error) but you may avoid some slow walkers and some people have some very odd ideas of what is and isn't shorter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its a bit more sheltered from wind and rain. The main road is a wind tunnel at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

Insomnia is now open i see and today i came across planning permission for an off licence with in one of the units in the student block the sign is located to the left of the Gibson hotel entrance and just down a slight bit on the left hand side on one of the builder fences

• Advertisement

I also spotted a PP sign to demolish the red brick building on North Wall Quay(it was a fancy car show room) between the Black Dublin landings building and the tall residential unit with the giant Ballymore banner
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:73_North_Wall_Quay,_Dublin.JPG

Planning Application Reference: DSDZ3799/18

Full Development Description
    PROTECTED STRUCTURE: Permission is sought for the demolition of a non-original 3 storey over basement commercial building behind protected facade (c.1684.8m2 to be demolished) and the construction of a commercial building (c.3699.4m2 GFA overall) extending to 9 storeys over existing basement consisting of office space at 1st to 8th floor level (c.2,949m2) and 2 no. units to be either retail or cafe use (c.91.1m2 and c.59.3m2) at ground floor level. The retained facade will be restored, repaired and repointed with new windows/doors as required. There is a terrace at 8th floor level and screened external plant is setback at roof level. Permission is also sought for all associated site development works, an ESB substation (c.12m2) at ground floor level and the provision of 50 no. bicycle spaces, bin store and plant within the existing basement level. This planning application relates to development within the North Lotts and Grand Canal Dock SDZ Planning Scheme.

Had it confirmed by Madden Estates that CENTRA are definitely opening in the ground floor of the Point Campus Building.

subpar wrote: »
    Had it confirmed by Madden Estates that CENTRA are definitely opening in the ground floor of the Point Campus Building.

This is the student block yeah ? and any time frame ? hopefully this should kick start the shopping centre being filled and i believe dunnes are back in the courts next month so hopefully we will get an updated their soon enough

Kennedy Wilson acquires site in Dublin’s North Docks for €113m

City Block 3 runs from the end of the Northbank Building on Upper Sheriff St , up as far as the junction with New Wapping St and then turns left along Mayor St Upper towards the junction with Castleforbes Road

From todays Irish Independent

Kennedy Wilson, alongside its joint venture partners, AXA Investment Managers and Cain International, has acquired one of the last remaining mixed-use development sites in Dublin’s North Docks for €113m.

City Block 3 ("CB3") totals 5.9 acres and will include the development of units for the private rental sector as well as office accommodation.

The Los Angeles-headquartered company's interest in the site was first revealed by the Irish Independent in July.

The acquisition was completed through two purchases from David Carson of Deloitte, acting as receiver on behalf of NAMA.

Kennedy Wilson will own 50pc of CB3, with an initial equity investment of €68m, and the group, which swept into Ireland at the bottom of the market, will act as the development and asset manager of the property.

Peter Collins, president of Kennedy Wilson Europe, said that the group was confident it its ability to bring forward this major new scheme for Dublin, "given the breadth of our local development experience."

"We are excited to be growing our Irish PRS joint venture with AXA IM – Real Assets as well as partnering with Cain International, an experienced global investor, to deliver another leading project for the city and its residents."

There is something called Pita Pit going in to the first unit in Host going on signage, and also googling Pita Pit Ireland gives that as the sole address it finds.

There is something called Pita Pit going in to the first unit in Host going on signage, and also googling Pita Pit Ireland gives that as the sole address it finds.

According to this wiki article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pita_Pit) and going by the signage it seems to be a franchise for this company:
    http://www.pitapitinternational.com/

Pita Pit is a quick-service restaurant franchise serving pita sandwiches. Its headquarters are in Kingston, Ontario, Canada

The first shop was opened by Nelson Lang and John Sotiriadis in 1995 near Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. In 1997, The Pita Pit started to expand within Canada and in 1999 they began franchising in the United States. There are now over 500 restaurants in a total of 11 countries. Countries other than Canada and the United States include United Kingdom, France, Brazil, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, and India.

The furniture was being assembled at lunchtime and the external signage was up by the time I went home (early) so I'd be surprised if it isn't open by Monday.

Centra still going ahead next unit down as far as I'm aware

great to see more places opening in what use to be a ghost town

That new store opens on Monday just checked their Facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I dont understand how Dunnes is still refusing to open up there, its a huge opportunity, Tesco delivery is the undisputed king in the Area and they would be able to take some of that share. Buildings and stores are flying up left and right.

Advertisement