Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CucaFace wrote: »
    Where? I don't see any new building of apts going on at the moment. I hope you are right, but I don't see it happening.

Dublin Landings for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Dublin Landings for starters.

Where is that site?

Where is that site?

Surrounding Valence and McGraths. Page 15-16 of this document has the locations:
    https://www.dublinlandings.com/pdfs/Dublin-Landings-PRS-Investment-Brochure.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

You would swear nobody realises yet we are in an accommodation crisis in the city and all I see and hear about are new offices being built, new hotels being built, new student accommodations being built and lots of new jobs being announced.

And not one single place for anyone to live in.

student accommodation is still accommodation. The students living in those will not be occupying bedrooms elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

given the rate of construction of student accommodation, it's hard to imagine how these units won't see a huge crash in their going rate. I know a lot of them are going for 1k a month now, but given the pipeline that's bound to decrease significantly. I'd imagine their business case depends on them doubling as summer time tourist accommodation. And like other posters have said that means less students and tourists occupying beds that could be part of family homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Despite the considerable building activity now in the North Docklands there is still plenty of space for further development to the east of Upper Sherrif St.

loyatemu wrote: »
    student accommodation is still accommodation. The students living in those will not be occupying bedrooms elsewhere.

They have built far too many of these. Very few if any Irish students staying in these as are far too expensive. There will be an issue with these in the near future as 1000's more beds to come online and from what I hear they are already struggling to fill what's there already. Again perfect example of poor planning in this country to allow this to happen.

And in the summer they are all allowed to take In short term tourist bookings. Whilst this might help tourism, it does nothing to help the normal worker making around €30,000 a year to find an affordable place to live.

They have built far too many of these. Very few if any Irish students staying in these as are far too expensive. There will be an issue with these in the near future as 1000's more beds to come online and from what I hear they are already struggling to fill what's there already. Again perfect example of poor planning in this country to allow this to happen.
    If they struggle to fill them, price goes down.
    And in the summer they are all allowed to take In short term tourist bookings. Whilst this might help tourism, it does nothing to help the normal worker making around €30,000 a year to find an affordable place to live.

Eh yeah it does. If more tourists are staying in these purpose built places and the glut of hotels being built, then that's less tourists taking up airbnb spots that would otherwise be a home for someone. It's all connected, more stock benefits everyone looking for a place even in indirect ways. Also the average wage in Ireland is closer to €40k and €45k in Dublin

subpar wrote: »
    Despite the considerable building activity now in the North Docklands there is still plenty of space for further development to the east of Upper Sherrif St.

Do you mean the North side where the business park is? If you do then it was sold last year I think. Same company that owns the east wall side of the train tracks. I heard there’s going to be accommodation for 3000 built.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Planning lodged for the unit beside centra to be a Camile Thai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Planning lodged for the unit beside centra to be a Camile Thai

Mother of god, I will become so fat

Do you mean the North side where the business park is? If you do then it was sold last year I think. Same company that owns the east wall side of the train tracks. I heard there’s going to be accommodation for 3000 built.

You are right - Cairn Homes are due to build apartments on the site of Castleforbes Business Park.

The area I was referring to is the site of the closed A1 depot - this site is lying idle for over a decade. Also the Irish Rail freight yard next door is a very valuable site as it has corner frontage onto east wall road. There is a lot of land is this parcel , all Irish Rail need is to keep 2 rail lines open into the port. The rest of the site is used as a siding for old rolling stock and stone ballast for the permanent way. They could easily transfer this up to the spare track space at Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

I sent an email to the letting company for the point square shopping center asking if any new stores are due to open and yes a number of stores are in talks and they hope to have them open later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I wonder when that second Student home block is set to open, I feel like it's been dragging on a while now

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/glenveagh-sells-118-housing-units-to-ires-reit-announces-deal-with-premier-inn-37947463.html

Glenveagh Property agrees deal for the construction of a Premier Inn Hotel in Castleforbes Business Park at corner of East Road and Upper Sheriff St.

Which site is that in the artists' impression. No sign of the LUAS so I'm finding it hard to figure out.

Its at the junction of East Road / New Wapping St and Upper Sheriff St, The hotel will be on land currently within Castleforbes Buinness Park. You can see the hill down from the railway bridge on east road on the artists impression picture.

Glenveagh own this site and the adjoining Hire Co Yard on East Road , they have permission for a mixed use development on the site.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I wonder when that second Student home block is set to open, I feel like it's been dragging on a while now

Opening in the summer for short term holiday bookings.

They will struggle to fill both I think in Sept when it has to revert to just student accommodation.

Their also building more student accommodation i believe right beside the 3 arena thats also currently under construction

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their also building more student accommodation i believe right beside the 3 arena thats also currently under construction

Tedcastle Site - west of the 3Arena - is office and aparthotel; east of the 3Arena is an office tower. Unless something's changed.

• Advertisement

Opening in the summer for short term holiday bookings.

They will struggle to fill both I think in Sept when it has to revert to just student accommodation.
    That's good, lower prices for students

With the volumes of residents/students/workers around having enough demand for two convenience stores, two places to get pizza, two coffee shops... I'm rather surprised there hasn't been a pharmacy opened yet actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

L1011 wrote: »
    With the volumes of residents/students/workers around having enough demand for two convenience stores, two places to get pizza, two coffee shops... I'm rather surprised there hasn't been a pharmacy opened yet actually.

There is a pharmacy less than 10 minutes walk away on Mayor St.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    There is a pharmacy less than 10 minutes walk away on Mayor St.

And there's shops, a pizza place and coffee shops there too - didn't stop there being multiple of them at the Point already.

I know Ruby’s does pizza but where is the other?

I know Ruby’s does pizza but where is the other?

Proper pizza oven setup in Centra (run separately, different tills etc)

Proper pizza oven setup in Centra (run separately, different tills etc)

Excellent. Although maybe not so good for my waistline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

And there's shops, a pizza place and coffee shops there too - didn't stop there being multiple of them at the Point already.

For every 50 visits most people would make to a shop, cafe or restaurant, they might only make 1 visit to a pharmacy (unless they suffer a lot of ailments) which is why a multitude of the former can be viable in multiple nearby locations before multiple pharmacies would be. Saying that, the population (living/working/concert goers/tourists etc) does suggest a pharmacy would now be viable in the immediate area.

I do wonder if the internal stores of the Point Village SC will ever be filled if retail is gravitating to online. Even if the legal wrangles with Dunnes are resolved and either it or another major anchor like Tesco or Penneys move in, I can't see all the H&Ms, Zaras or River Islands following suit. Many of them have taking a hammering or have disappeared from the busiest high streets as their most frequent customers now shop online so will not likely choose to move to a peripheral location like the end of the quays. I can see it being redeveloped as offices or residential with a small neighbourhood centre style retail offering.

A number of stores are in talks with the hope to open later this year thats the response i got back when i sent an email to the letting agent though with the mess going on in london i highly doubt anyone would take a risk and open a store now

• Advertisement

Anyone else hearing a loud humming noise (like maybe a generator) coming on every morning the past week at 6am from the building site area? Seems to stay on for an hour before going off. I thought when the full student accommodation building was up I would be done with the early wake ups but it seems no.

Advertisement