Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

CucaFace wrote: »
    Anyone else hearing a loud humming noise (like maybe a generator) coming on every morning the past week at 6am from the building site area? Seems to stay on for an hour before going off. I thought when the full student accommodation building was up I would be done with the early wake ups but it seems no.

yes my room faces the site and its really starting to get to me, its been over 2 years of noise and wakes up I honestly thought at this point it would be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    yes my room faces the site and its really starting to get to me, its been over 2 years of noise and wakes up I honestly thought at this point it would be done.

Yeah I'm the same to be honest. Any idea of what is actually making that noise this week? I thought they weren't allowed to make noise before 7? This is starting at 6.15 every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I regret to say that if you live in that vicinity, you'll need to expect construction noise for the next 5 years at least. You have the Exo building, the North Docks development on North Wall Quay and then the adjacent site between Dublin Landings and North Docks which hasn't even started. The area will look amazing once complete but unfortunately, there is short term pain to get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JamesButler.16

Anyone know of any rooms available to rent in castleforbes? I am currently living there and my landlord is selling the apartment so I have to find alternative accommodation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

I noticed yesterday the second building of the student accommodation is nearly coming to an end anyone happen to know when this will be done for as i imagine early summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed yesterday the second building of the student accommodation is nearly coming to an end anyone happen to know when this will be done for as i imagine early summer

I imagine the priority would be to have it ready for the start of the traditional college year in September so they have a few months leeway yet.

On a separate note, I'd say the spacious new Centra is a godsend for anyone working or living in the area (and of course concert goers) and having to no longer rely on the Spar alone further back in Castleforbes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Centra is very handy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Will be open for the summer for tourists...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CucaFace wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same to be honest. Any idea of what is actually making that noise this week? I thought they weren't allowed to make noise before 7? This is starting at 6.15 every morning.
    Check the planning conditions for the particular site, but 6.15am is indeed very, very early. Planning Enforcement are fairly good for acting on such breaches if you report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

[B]Ronan plans to build 44 Storey Towers between Castleforbes Road and North Wall Ave - from the Sunday Indo.[/B]

https://cdn-02.independent.ie/irish-news/article38079922.ece/b8a58/AUTOCROP/w620/2019-05-05_iri_50076830_I1.JPG

The battle for the Dublin skyline is set to dramatically intensify after developer Johnny Ronan submitted outline plans to Dublin City Council for a 44-storey "hanging gardens"-themed development in the docklands.

Ronan's ''grand design'' for the North Wall Quay dwarfs the surrounding cityscape and at its highest point, is almost twice as high as his 22-storey Tara Street development, which was controversially given the green light by An Bord Pleanala last month.

The developer proposes to build the twin towers on the last major vacant site north of the Liffey, near the East Link Bridge, giving employment to more than 10,000 building workers. It was previously a series of run-down warehouses occupied by Hales Transport and Tilestyle.

The proposed main tower on the quayside is 155m at its highest point, compared with Liberty Hall, which is 51m. The development also contains another tower 40 storeys high, with a series of interlocking blocks with roof terraces and vertical gardens.

"It will provide Dublin with a very cosmopolitan development, which people will want to come and see because it is totally unique in terms of anything built in Ireland or the UK," say his architects.

The Project Waterfront proposal on the four-acre site will be a 50/50 residential and commercial development, designed by Dublin architects Henry J Lyons. According to the architects, it could provide 1,000 homes, offices, shops, hotels, rooftop parks, a dramatic ''sky garden'' and greenery cascading down the front and internal spaces in the massive development.

"It will add interest to the Dublin skyline. It is designed to be seen - but not from the Georgian parts of Dublin," say the development's architects. "It is really world class and Johnny Ronan is prepared to fight for it."

Ronan, one of the most high-profile developers of the Celtic Tiger era, has bounced back from the recession with the proposed Tara tower development off Tara Street and is developing another dockland site for multi-national firm, Salesforce.

His Project Waterfront represents the most audacious development since the Celtic Tiger era with opulent interiors, but includes 10pc social and affordable housing.

The proposal was lodged with Dublin City Council last week as part of a submission to its ''building heights review'' which is currently under way. But Ronan has already expressed concern that this review could take two years to complete and in the meantime, the last major site on the North Quays may have to conform to what he believes are ultra-conservative height restrictions.

"The average height [in the docklands] is too low and a waste of valuable land," say his planning consultants Tom Phillips Associates, as part of the submission. "This is putting Dublin's docklands at a major disadvantage for foreign direct investment and large footprint indigenous commercial development."

The planning consultants also claim that current developments undertaken in the Special Designated Zones (SDZs) along the Liffey quays are "failing to deliver" on the City Council's objective of "significant residential and commercial floor space" in the area, which is close to current and proposed public transport infrastructure. The massive development promises a "better work/lifestyle balance" for residents and office workers, say the architects. It would also be eco-friendly with solar power, green spaces, recycling facilities and even a "soil free" high-tech underground farm.

A recent Red C Poll commissi-oned by Ronan's development company found that eight out of 10 respondents living in Dublin believe building higher makes sense, providing they are well-designed and constructed outside the city's Georgian core. Some 19pc of respondents found the skyline "attractive" and felt it needed to be protected while 84pc believed that height restrictions needed to be lifted in the docklands.

Ronan's latest plans would radically alter the city skyline at the East Link Bridge, but in 2006 permission was given for the U2 Tower, designed by international architect Norman Foster, which was of similar height. The U2 Tower was never built because the property market collapsed.

Ronan's advisers argue that changed economic conditions in Ireland and the attraction of Dublin for firms relocating here because of Brexit make it imperative for the city to expand up rather than

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Check the planning conditions for the particular site, but 6.15am is indeed very, very early. Planning Enforcement are fairly good for acting on such breaches if you report it.

Its the cherrypickers pressure washing the woodwork on castleforbes sq building.

Apparently the construction sites are allowed to operate from 5am anyway..

kenmm wrote: »
    Its the cherrypickers pressure washing the woodwork on castleforbes sq building.
    There is a District Court noise nuisance process that you can start if necessary. Get onto the building management company, and the cherrypicker rental company and whoever else you need to.

Apparently the construction sites are allowed to operate from 5am anyway..
    Not in my experience, though I haven't checked the conditions for sites in sthis particular part of the city.

There is a District Court noise nuisance process that you can start if necessary. Get onto the building management company, and the cherrypicker rental company and whoever else you need to.

Not in my experience, though I haven't checked the conditions for sites in sthis particular part of the city.

It was the building management company that quoted the 5am thing! (but I havent actually checked out local regs).

Does the noise nuisance also apply to the dance studio? Or are they licences to operate?

Normally noise doesn't bother me too much, but the last couple of weeks has been Cherry picker diesel engine (and the big ones sound like high revs to drive the platform) from ~630/700 right through to a dance studio that seems to have no sound proofing or any air con operating until 2200 (therefore all windows wide open and music blaring).

With windows sealed you can hear everything, but now we are getting ti summer it gets close to 30 indoors - so its too hot or too loud.

I appreciate we are in a housing crisis and its good to have a roof over your head, but it would be nice to be able to rest at home!

<sorry - that got a bit ranty - next time I will post in the accommodation forum!>

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

It was the building management company that quoted the 5am thing! (but I havent actually checked out local regs).

Does the noise nuisance also apply to the dance studio? Or are they licences to operate?

Normally noise doesn't bother me too much, but the last couple of weeks has been Cherry picker diesel engine (and the big ones sound like high revs to drive the platform) from ~630/700 right through to a dance studio that seems to have no sound proofing or any air con operating until 2200 (therefore all windows wide open and music blaring).

With windows sealed you can hear everything, but now we are getting ti summer it gets close to 30 indoors - so its too hot or too loud.

I appreciate we are in a housing crisis and its good to have a roof over your head, but it would be nice to be able to rest at home!

<sorry - that got a bit ranty - next time I will post in the accommodation forum!>

I'm with you. I live in the Liffey Trust and the area has become 24 hours Noisy, 6 am the builders start making noise, when they stop the Dance studo makes noise into the night and once that stops the Noise starts coming from the industrial area where all the tracks are (pouring Rocks and whatnot) all throughout the night. its becoming a little insane

ye - never mind the Green room smoking area being in the apartment communal area..

I wouldn't mind too much if they would at least stop/quiet the studio at the weekends.

Hopefully the student block will stop soon.

https://cdn-04.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/article38093008.ece/225d8/BINARY/2019-05-09_bus_50182548_I1.JPG

Closed Richview Motors Building at 73 North Wall Quay , the last available waterfront site in the Docklands , sold for over 10 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Slightly more important than Richview is that that building was the starting place for not one but two radio stations (and a third used it also)

Spin 1038 launched from there, as did Phantom; and Sunshine moved in in its later years.

However, its a cheap late 90s/early 00s building behind a facade and nothing worth saving, so I'm not suggesting it get kept!

Interestingly there was a builder in Centra in Tesco hiviz; could be leftover from another project of course but I wonder are they scoping out anything for a store of some scale.

Is it not full of builders everyday as its surrounded by them?

subpar wrote: »
    Heard today from a reliable source that a Tesco Express is going to open on the ground floor of the new Student Apartment Blocks under construction.
    -

post from Nov 2017

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Is it not full of builders everyday as its surrounded by them?

Yes, my point is the Tesco fitout crew branded hiviz

Ah missed that....

... ...

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I'm with you. I live in the Liffey Trust and the area has become 24 hours Noisy, 6 am the builders start making noise, when they stop the Dance studo makes noise into the night and once that stops the Noise starts coming from the industrial area where all the tracks are (pouring Rocks and whatnot) all throughout the night. its becoming a little insane
    SOunds like yez need to kick off the noise nuisance process sooner rather than later lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What do people think of the Johnny Ronans proposed tower? I think for such a landmark building its a bit meh, the hanging gardens thing is just a bit of fluff trying to disguise a poor effort, 6/10 stuff

2019-05-05_iri_50076830_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What do people think of the Johnny Ronans proposed tower? I think for such a landmark building its a bit meh, the hanging gardens thing is just a bit of fluff trying to disguise a poor effort, 6/10 stuff

2019-05-05_iri_50076830_I1.JPG

Exciting, sustainable, and in keeping with the type of building other cities have built in their former dockland areas. There's also scope to develop further projects on East Wall Road, and on some of the underutilised CIE and ESB sites in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

hope they get permission to build it

Makes everything else look waay too low. Which was the whole purpose of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If it has Johnny Ronan's name to it, it shouldn't have any permission. Time to allow new faces in to try and do something. It looks like more of the same anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont think it is an eyesore or anything but for such a landmark building that is located at the mouth of the Liffey and will be Irelands tallest building it doesnt exactly inspire me either. At least not compared to what you see going up in other cities.

I wasnt surprised to learn that it is by Henry Lyons architects, they build nice functional buildings but they never really add a whole lot to the public realm. I couldnt care less how high it is but do feel they could have got a better architect to create something people will talk about. Why not hold a competition and invite international architects with skyscraper experience to enter? You'd end up with a much better building that way imo.

That said Johnny Ronan has never struck me as the type of property developer who pushes good architecture and I dont get the impression that he wants to leave behind a legacy in what he builds. Instead he is all about the profit. So we end up with this, its not bad but it certainly wont be winning any architectural competitions. Which is a shame given the height and location, we should demand better imo. You would see better buildings in medium sized Chinese cities than what Ronan is proposing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Has anyone had a chance to read the planning notice that’s gone up at the shopping centre?

Advertisement