Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What do people think of the Johnny Ronans proposed tower? I think for such a landmark building its a bit meh, the hanging gardens thing is just a bit of fluff trying to disguise a poor effort, 6/10 stuff

2019-05-05_iri_50076830_I1.JPG

By far the most appealing landmark building built since independence, so yeah, in favour, won't be holding out for something better anyway.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If it has Johnny Ronan's name to it, it shouldn't have any permission. Time to allow new faces in to try and do something. It looks like more of the same anyway

So planning should be a personality contest?
    Hate to break it to you, but the wealthiest developers and most successful politicians are sociopaths. None of them will be winning nobel prizes for promoting world peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Has anyone had a chance to read the planning notice that’s gone up at the shopping centre?

Amalgamate 3 units and change to leisure use. So likely a gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

I came across this notice the other day be interesting to see what goes in after work is done

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

A Gym would make sense, not sure if the student blocks have an onsite gym but if they don't it would be perfect. Im just desperate to see life the shopping centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Planning documents state bowling, indoor mini golf, VR gaming. Sounds like they have a tenant lined up. Also they mention Dunnes opening too, so hopefully that's actually going ahead now.

Press Up Group I'd guess with that mix

Where can the planning documents be viewed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Planning documents state bowling, indoor mini golf, VR gaming. Sounds like they have a tenant lined up. Also they mention Dunnes opening too, so hopefully that's actually going ahead now.

Oh I like that. Be great to be able to go bowling. I used to be good at that. The mini golf sounds fun too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

Brilliant!
    Where can the planning documents be viewed
    You can search for a planning application here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

...But I haven't had any luck finding this particular one.

Khuitlio, do you have the planning reference?

EDIT: Found it! Ref: DSDZ3013/19
    Type that into the ref field in the above link and you'll see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Its a great idea, Make The Point a proper entertainment hub with Shops, Restaurants, Entertainment and of course the Venue

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

With a total size of 3840 SQM (that's the size of 7.5 Football pitches!)I can't help but wonder if this is the Dunnes Unit that is being converted?
    Shame if so, as if it goes we will never get a supermarket around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

geecee wrote: »
    With a total size of 3840 SQM (that's the size of 7.5 Football pitches!)I can't help but wonder if this is the Dunnes Unit that is being converted?
    Shame if so, as if it goes we will never get a supermarket around here

I don't know where you are getting your calculations of 7.5 times the size of a pitch from but Croke Park pitch is 12760 sqm and Aviva Stadium is 7208 so the 3840 sqm proposal for Point Village is half the size of Aviva pitch which sounds about right to accommodate a combined gym/leisure complex/bowling.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I don't know where you are getting your calculations of 7.5 times the size of a pitch .

Don't know where I got my calculations from either :D Must have been drinking at the time!

But I did spend the week in a 2000 SQM office in NYC and its absolutely massive!
    12 full size offices, 4 generous meeting rooms, telephone room, wellness room, games room, copier room, server room, kitchen, dining room and 80 large cubicles for staff. Its a cavernous space!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Point Square units could become leisure spots in light of an 'irrevocably changed' retail market - Fora (via TheJournal.ie) - https://fora.ie/the-point-village-receivers-change-of-use-retail-leisure-4677040-Jun2019/

Interesting article about changing the centre to be more leisure focused as there is no longer retail demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They should have turned it office space considering the demand in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

has anyone noticed the planning permission sign has been removed from where it was placed in between star bucks and eddie rockets on the glass at the first set of doors

Some ads up for a new pharmacy at Island Key in Eastwall which will certainly reduce demand for one down at the Point but is even more awkward to go to really

L1011 wrote: »
    Some ads up for a new pharmacy at Island Key in Eastwall which will certainly reduce demand for one down at the Point but is even more awkward to go to really

Where did you see the ads? Have you got a link or is it on the shopfront itself?

brownbeard wrote: »
    Where did you see the ads? Have you got a link or is it on the shopfront itself?

Inside Rubys yesterday. Google gives the name as Caseys.

• Advertisement

Bizarre new Dublin Bus 53A Route To/from North Bank apartments to Talbot street is being discussed here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990458

Seems it will circle the Point Village and 3 Arena and make its way down Castleforbes Road to North Bank Terminus
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/53a%20Talbot%20street%20towards%20Sheriff%20street.pdf

The route will start on July 8th but will only have 5 Off Peak Services Mon-Fri!
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/531/

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Its a curious new bus service alright.

Only 5 bus services a day
    1 hour gap between buses
    No service at peak commuter hours
    No weekend service.

In fairness the route follows a path not served by any other bus or Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Would assume it's for pensioners? Otherwise seems a complete waste of a bus route.

geecee wrote: »
    Bizarre new Dublin Bus 53A Route To/from North Bank apartments to Talbot street is being discussed here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990458

Seems it will circle the Point Village and 3 Arena and make its way down Castleforbes Road to North Bank Terminus
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Global/53a%20Talbot%20street%20towards%20Sheriff%20street.pdf

The route will start on July 8th but will only have 5 Off Peak Services Mon-Fri!
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/531/

That's the most ridiculous route I've ever seen.

Planning permission is up for a gym for unit 24 in the shopping Centre it’s up since June 25th

Planning permission is up for a gym for unit 24 in the shopping Centre it’s up since June 25th

Planning ref DSDZ3344/19 for those interested.

EDIT: Looks quite small at 264sqm. Not gonna fit much of a gym in that.

Point Village unavailable for Christmas Flea Market.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dublin-flea-christmas-market-to-cease-operations-1.3960525

"The Point Square Shopping Centre said it had no comment to make on the matter."

I wonder if this is because certain anchor units would be expected to be let/unavailable by then?

The point area had huge potential for outdoor/indoor events, like gumball, and fairs and markets. Close to Public transport and city centre.

The way its going is into a faceless office park, apartment blocks.

The loss of central civic spaces and community events space and urban village centres throughout Ireland, and especially Dublin is a planning failure.

beauf wrote: »
    The point area had huge potential for outdoor/indoor events, like gumball, and fairs and markets. Close to Public transport and city centre.

The way its going is into a faceless office park, apartment blocks.

The loss of central civic spaces and community events space and urban village centres throughout Ireland, and especially Dublin is a planning failure.

While I do agree with you it's not a good thing to have a multi million euro shopping centre lying idle for the sake of a market 2 weeks in December. I note that Dublin flea has a new space at the digital hub in Dublin 8.

I'm dreading the day when the liberty markets are due to be demolished and replaced with a hotel or something.

I would support a moratorium on hotel development inside the canals until apartments reach a certain price point. €100k for a studio apartment or €600 a month seems fair for a city this size.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    ... it's not a good thing to have a multi million euro shopping centre lying idle for the sake of a market 2 weeks in December.....

If anything the flea market attracted potential tenants to the space to show them it's potential. It was a great event that brought the area to life.

Advertisement