Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

Okay, Dunnes lost the appeal. So, does this mean they will pay the amount and also start moving in? Is there any chance we see Dunnes opening up at any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is Dunnes, they'll likely look to go to the Supreme Court...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Dunnes probably lost more money fighting this than they would have if they'd opened a minimally staffed store in 2009 and gradually increased the offering to what would now be, without doubt, a profitable operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh I like that. Be great to be able to go bowling. I used to be good at that. The mini golf sounds fun too.

has anyone seen if there is any progress? I had a look around but couldnt find any significant works happening. With the New Student block, and a lot of the buildings on the quays nearing completion, I'm surprised there is still very little works happening inside.

• Advertisement

deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

Haven’t seen any works taking place inside all I’ve seen is planning permission maybe it’ll start nearer to other building being finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

There has been work going on alright. I don't know if it's been specific to the bowling/minigolf, but they've had a portion of the wall knocked out for months. The've just put it back together...

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

looks like the fitout has commenced on the nearby Mayson hotel, most of the scaffolding is down and the fitout company have their branding up in the upper windows

Still such a shame they couldn't get at least 2 more floors to at least match the apartment blocks to the buildings West and North. Can't imagine how stupid it would look like with the 5 floors from original PP

The Exo building is due to be done during 2020 i know looks longer just by looking at the building but the independent is reporting on this along with a first glassed boxed building to be used as a restaurant with a tenant due to be in it next year https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-is-set-to-get-its-first-glass-box-restaurant-38552499.html

• Advertisement

There are two glass box restaurants (J2 and Rockets) on the quays already at the Spencer Hotel; the Indo has got that bit utterly wrong as usual.

Just spotted a sign stating "Gala Castleforbes Square - opening soon" on the long vacant unit at corner of Castleforbes road and Upper Sherriff St.

Not as good a s Tesco express but at least some more competition for the Spar and (incredibly disappointing) Centra

Centra is still better than Spar tbh. Gala would not be a tier 1 brand and the one in East Wall has rebranded but more capacity is critical. There are huge queues at breakfast and lunchtimes in both Spar and Centra and the construction shows no signs of abating - Castleforbes Works is the next to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

L1011 wrote: »
    Centra is still better than Spar tbh. Gala would not be a tier 1 brand and the one in East Wall has rebranded but more capacity is critical. There are huge queues at breakfast and lunchtimes in both Spar and Centra and the construction shows no signs of abating - Castleforbes Works is the next to go

Can’t agree with your first sentence. Half the stuff is not priced, the other half is over priced. The only good thing is the pizzeria.

Can’t agree with your first sentence. Half the stuff is not priced, the other half is over priced. The only good thing is the pizzeria.

And not forgetting that their bread and Deli counters are sold out by 3 every day - can't understand how they think its good business to be sold out like that - when the Spar is still cleaning up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe because very little lunchtime business comes in at 3 and later? I don't know.

Spar prices have dropped since Centra opened, but still more expensive in my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Does anyone know what kind of obligations the student accommodation has with regards to noise from their students?

This is beginning to be come a problem. The students seem to be coming out in large groups and congregating making a lot of noise where the back of the front building meets the front of the second building. Its like they are having parties in the lobbies of the buildings which are spilling out into that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

We are starting to see a few new retail units opening or planning to open in the area now so things are really starting to pick up momentum.

I imagine its getting quite close to the stage where it actually does make sense for a large retailer to just take the space in the Point square shopping centre and I can definitely see a sports retailer taking a space if they were allowed.

Since they've held out this long NAMA might be looking to have more of a mid to high end shopping centre though so mightn't want JD sports or someone like that to take a unit

The Mayson hotel website is also up and running! It can probably start taking bookings for conferences in 6 months time already

https://themayson.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

CucaFace wrote: »
    Does anyone know what kind of obligations the student accommodation has with regards to noise from their students?

This is beginning to be come a problem. The students seem to be coming out in large groups and congregating making a lot of noise where the back of the front building meets the front of the second building. Its like they are having parties in the lobbies of the buildings which are spilling out into that area.

I'd say expecting young people in groups to be quiet is akin to expecting drinkers in a beer garden to communicate in whispers. I imagine there is also a courtyard echo effect as the sound bounces all around the adjacent buildings.

Nothing against students but I personally wouldn't fancy living next to them (I know, I lived in a student village for 4 years when in college and know how noisy they(we) can/could be - the difference in my days was that there were no non-student residences nearby.)

CucaFace wrote: »

I've noticed the issue with parties during the week late into the night on the rooftop and the lobby area, also people skate boarding late into the night. Called the guards once when they were skateboarding late into 3am, but they told me to contact the management (typical Gardai response). Not sure what to do about the issue either.

• Advertisement

Well yes, skateboards slamming at 3 am on a Wednesday outside your window for hours is a noise complaint not much the management can enforce at 3am . Noise complaints are literally in the FAQ on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

great to at least fill another unit especially at a time when anything can occur with brexit just shows Irish retailers still have faith in investing and the more the better as prices will fall as they all will want to get the business watch

What unit is the gala store opening in ?

Corner of Castleforbes and Sheriff Streets on the same side as Spar/Hilti/HSS

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

There is also what I believe is a Fresh with cafe space going in just off Castleforbes/Mayor St Upper on what is being called New City St.

Planning app details: DSDZ3452/19

Fresh usually have Insomnia in them but I doubt they'll duplicate that close.

I'm fairly certain that road is going to have a different name anyway, "New City Street" was a description used in planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I agree. And some of the shelves are always empty as well.

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    There is also what I believe is a Fresh with cafe space going in just off Castleforbes/Mayor St Upper on what is being called New City St.

Planning app details: DSDZ3452/19

The newest Fresh opened in the last week under the tall building in Capital Docks and it's really impressive, so it will be great if we are getting a decent fresh over "our side" of the river

Of course Fresh is very expensive, even compared to a Spar, but they do sell some pretty quality produce and their hot food counters can't be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

L1011 wrote: »
    Fresh usually have Insomnia in them but I doubt they'll duplicate that close.

I'm fairly certain that road is going to have a different name anyway, "New City Street" was a description used in planning.

What is the exact location? By any chance are they referring to North Wall Avenue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

What is the exact location? By any chance are they referring to North Wall Avenue?

It will be on the corner of Mayor St Upper and the pedestrianised "New City St" as it is currently called while under development. This will run N/S between and parallel with New Wapping St & Castleforbes Rd.

Shown here, unit 05 & 06 combined.

Advertisement