Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dylanbyrne2017

The Mayson hotel is now open

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

https://themayson.ie/gallery/

This is a very welcome high quality asset for the area.

Have to say that piece by piece this area of the north docklands is being transformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Mayson hotel is now open

what was the pub called that used to be in that building? According to the hotel website it was "Connors" up until the 80s but I remember it as another name in the 90s, just can't recall the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

loyatemu wrote: »
    what was the pub called that used to be in that building? According to the hotel website it was "Connors" up until the 80s but I remember it as another name in the 90s, just can't recall the name.

Valence & McGrath. Which they won't want to mention cause it'll find articles about the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

L1011 wrote: »
    Valence & McGrath. Which they won't want to mention cause it'll find articles about the murder.

In fairness they do mention it on their website. Well not the murder but valence and mcgrath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gin is just flavoured alcohol - what's the point in distilling it and then removing the alcohol? It's a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

Happy Christmas everyone and happy new year hope everyone enjoys the break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

What is it with the style used in the mayson, it looks like copy,.paste of other hotels and bars such as Roberta's and Sophie's

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    What is it with the style used in the mayson, it looks like copy,.paste of other hotels and bars such as Roberta's and Sophie's

They're all the same company - Press Up Group. Maybe half the new bars open in Dublin in the past two years are them.

The unit beside Centra has signs up for Camile. This was rumoured a year ago but is obviously going ahead finally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

This company is very popular so hopefully they do well in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

loyatemu wrote: »
    Gin is just flavoured alcohol - what's the point in distilling it and then removing the alcohol? It's a gimmick.

All alcohol is flavoured alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

crossfit353 opening to the public this week down the lane to the side of the Gibson hotel

See the promo video in the link

https://www.linkedin.com/company/crossfit-353/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was in the Mayson bar on NYE for a bit. It's still a bit ramshackle and half built. Was full of locals doing coke in the jacks, which was surprising. Probably Ringsend and townies. Wouldn't be rushing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Was full of locals doing coke in the jacks, which was surprising.

I think thats exactly what I would expect. Newly opened, quiet bar I guess, probably just meant you would notice it more.

Most of Dublin is like this.

kenmm wrote: »
    I think thats exactly what I would expect. Newly opened, quiet bar I guess, probably just meant you would notice it more.

Most of Dublin is like this.

Yeah I know, I go to lots of bars in Dublin, this was especially cokey.

They'll need a while to ban specific problematic locals that would be heading there due to being barred elsewhere. Regular thing with new or reopened pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Yeah I know, I go to lots of bars in Dublin, this was especially cokey.

must have been lines on the bar 🤣!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Was in the Mayson bar on NYE for a bit. It's still a bit ramshackle and half built. Was full of locals doing coke in the jacks, which was surprising. Probably Ringsend and townies. Wouldn't be rushing back.

I was there for NYE also. Agree, the clientele was not what I was expecting. All knacks. Staff in bar area and in restaurant were very poor and under trained. We were happy to leave around 1030pm. Will wait a good few months and give it one more try. Very underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Mayson will really need to nip that in the bud or else it will develop a reputation. If I spent money on premium accommodation for a hotel abroad either for leisure or corporate in a similar IFSC type location (Canary Wharf in London for example), and saw that carry on going on in the hotel bar, it would send off a really bad message. They'll be crucified on Trip Advisor (or Boards lol) if they allow that to keep up.

Saying that, if a hotel only opened 2 weeks ago, it would be the last place I'd go to ring in NYE as the teething problems will be very apparent in the first few weeks. I'd give it a couple of months before I'd go there so that such issues can be bedded down.

• Advertisement

Alicano wrote: »
    I was there for NYE also. Agree, the clientele was not what I was expecting. All knacks. Staff in bar area and in restaurant were very poor and under trained. We were happy to leave around 1030pm. Will wait a good few months and give it one more try. Very underwhelming.

Ha, that's funny. I stayed till about 1130 then went to the river to watch the fireworks. My partner lives in IFSC so we thought they Mayson might be a nice option in future. But yeah, rough crowd.
    In fairness to the staff it was only open a few days at that stage, the manager type woman seemed quite good, I would think they'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Mayson will really need to nip that in the bud or else it will develop a reputation. If I spent money on premium accommodation for a hotel abroad either for leisure or corporate in a similar IFSC type location (Canary Wharf in London for example), and saw that carry on going on in the hotel bar, it would send off a really bad message. They'll be crucified on Trip Advisor (or Boards lol) if they allow that to keep up.

Saying that, if a hotel only opened 2 weeks ago, it would be the last place I'd go to ring in NYE as the teething problems will be very apparent in the first few weeks. I'd give it a couple of months before I'd go there so that such issues can be bedded down.

It’s a bit stupid of the owners / management to be that under resourced security wise that that sort of shît can go on in there, needed to be nipped in the bud from opening...management themselves maybe don’t have the stones to root out the problem for fear of repercussions...walking out of there late at night, early morning to a car after a shift and it could get suddenly violent....

That said if I’m working there, see that shît going on, that class of person being facilitated and management doing SFA and no security deterrent I’m out of there sorry... not working in those conditions... cocaine makes people unpredictable, aggressive and generally unpleasant, it’s zero fun being around coke heads, twats.

Well pretty much every bar in dublin city centre has people doing cocaine in it these days. That wasn't my problem with the Mayson it just had a different crowd than i expected. You wouldn't know in most cases when someone has done coke, it's not the drug that makes people assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well pretty much every bar in dublin city centre has people doing cocaine in it these days. That wasn't my problem with the Mayson it just had a different crowd than i expected. You wouldn't know in most cases when someone has done coke, it's not the drug that makes people assholes.

Maybe correct to say ‘not the drug’ to an extent at least but it certainly enables people with the asshole gene to be more outgoing and engaging in ****ty behavior and attitudes...

Strumms wrote: »
    Maybe correct to say ‘not the drug’ to an extent at least but it certainly enables people with the asshole gene to be more outgoing and engaging in ****ty behavior and attitudes...

Yeah but sure so does alcohol. Anyway - the Mayson. I may try it for food sometime when it's a bit more established.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

"Dunnes premature in challenging Point Village resolution move, Supreme Court finds"
    "Appeal over design of Point Square unanimously dismissed"
    -Irish Times - (Paywall Alert)
    irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dunnes-premature-in-challenging-point-village-resolution-move-supreme-court-finds-1.4147823

Possible ultimate outcome could be a smaller size Dunnes Store and a financial settlement with the receivers ( less than the 15 million )

BlackRock and O’Flynn sell Point Campus for €172m

From the Irish Times 5/2/20

DWS will see 4.75% yield following purchase of Dublin docklands student accommodation.

The largest off-campus student accommodation complex in Ireland, Point Campus in Dublin 1, has been sold to global asset manager DWS Group for a sum understood to be around €172 million, which is expected to provide it with an initial yield of around 4.75 per cent.

Comprising some 966 bedspaces, the complex features amenities including a gym, cinema, common room and roof terrace. The price paid equates to an average of just over €178,000 per bedspace.

Reported rates for rooms start from € 230 per week and range up to € 330 per week for a self-contained studio, with a range of room types and lease terms on offer. Host, Cork developer Michael O’Flynn’s student accommodation management company, operates the complex.

O’Flynn and global fund manager BlackRock partnered together in 2016 to acquire the prime 0.93 hectare (2.3 acre) site which is adjacent to the Point Square shopping centre and 3Arena venue in order to develop the scheme.

The site was purchased with the benefit of an extant planning permission obtained by receivers appointed over assets of Wintertide, a company that formed part of Treasury Holdings’ former property empire.

CPL resources executive fails in unlawful wage deduction claim
    When the site was sold to O’Flynn and BlackRock in 2016 it was reported that it achieved “more than €20 million”. Accounts filed by the receivers of Wintertide suggest the developers actually paid nearly €25.5 million for the docklands site.

Does anyone know why all those spaces in the building where the cinema is is vacant? I mean why did anyone ever think they were viable given the lack of footfall around there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Does anyone know why all those spaces in the building where the cinema is is vacant? I mean why did anyone ever think they were viable given the lack of footfall around there?

You've answered your own question!:D

Advertisement