Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You've answered your own question!:D

Yeah but I thought maybe the developers knew something I didn't. Even when all the building is finished I still don't think it will warrant having much more than what's there at the moment in that area. It amazes me that people are paid so much money for these plans and lay people like myself can see obvious flaws...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,794 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone know why all those spaces in the building where the cinema is is vacant? I mean why did anyone ever think they were viable given the lack of footfall around there?

The expectation was that the entire area would be built out by about 2011. When the remaining offices and apartments are built there will be a critical mass just from those alone

Also, retail has slumped globally since it was built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also they expected an anchor tenant like Dunnes etc would pull people from the surrounding catchment..

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

If Dunnes moved in, I would probably go there a lot. Based in D3 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

I'd say in time it will be filled as things are improving in the area and plenty more investment is coming it's just a slow start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

If Dunnes moved in, I would probably go there a lot. Based in D3 here.

Same here. Never down that way unless running or movies. Dunnes would be great but they are years in legal battle to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Mr.S wrote: »
    Surprised another supermarket just doesn't open there.

Dunnes did seem like the perfect fit. Super Valu couldn't compete with Lidl and Aldi up the road. Tesco only do the express stuff in the city. And there's already a Fresh and Spar in proximity. Pity all the same. Dunnes is really good since they revamped the whole model.

There is a Tesco express in Irish town across the bridge. Also a m&s food shop in mayor's square. There loads more housing in the area since they went in. Besides the point would handy for people passing in the car also.

There's another Fresh opening even closer within a few months too.

There's a gala I think opening on castleforbes shortly.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    There's a gala I think opening on castleforbes shortly.

Facing away from most passing foot traffic - they'll get builder breakfast roll business due to the queues in Spar and Centre and possibly some of the apartments custom but it won't be enough surely. There is plenty more development to go on Sheriff Street in time of course.

Rumours of a pharmacy in Macken House also; the remaining front facing retail unit has been cleared of junk I think.

Further down, the unit Spar are going to go in to at Spencer Dock is also being de-junked and the unit the other end of the block has been stripped completely (windows etc out) for a creche as far as I know.

The Gala is only a few doors up from Spar. That does ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

L1011 wrote: »

Further down, the unit Spar are going to go in to at Spencer Dock is also being de-junked and the unit the other end of the block has been stripped completely (windows etc out) for a creche as far as I know.

I believe that unit will be a gym actually, not a creche. At least based on the planning permission, unless it's been changed.

Pity about the Spar in the other unit. The area badly needs something other than low level grocery units. A restaurant for example could surely be sustained with the amount of housing under construction. That unit would have suited a high end steakhouse.

Already have a couple of hotels for food and ruby's.

A standalone restaurant is not the same as hotel food.

Ruby's is low brow. Point village depends too much on youngster looking for quick bite. It needs to grow up a bit with proper high end sit down restaurants rather than grab and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

There is PP notice for a restaurant with mezzanine level in the tall/narrow Dublin Landings building next to the Bottle Boy pub

Anyone know when that Camille thai will open at the Point?

Ruby's is low brow. Point village depends too much on youngster looking for quick bite. It needs to grow up a bit with proper high end sit down restaurants rather than grab and go.

It's gone from nothing to where it is now very quickly. It's until recently was a ghost town outside of business hours and events. I'm not sure it would draw a more sophisticated clientele just yet. Not enough to sustain a business anyway. Maybe I'm wrong. That said I don't live there.

I tried the Green Box recently and enjoyed it. Not unlike a chopped kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

From today, parking has been removed in Castleforbes Square between it and the Liffey Trust complex. Should make the area a bit nicer once people get used to there being less free parking.

I know a few very early risers that'll be horrified at having to either pay or get in even earlier for the limited spaces on Sheriff Street!

Point is cheap if you can get them to show you the magic incantation on the ticket machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

From today, parking has been removed in Castleforbes Square between it and the Liffey Trust complex. Should make the area a bit nicer once people get used to there being less free parking.

Saw on the CFS OMC minutes that CFS are considering routing ingress/Egress from the parking garages onto the North Wall Avenue

I presume they would then block off the other road at the Spar and present some landscaping opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

In fairness , this would be an improvement. The road between Castleforbes Road and North Wall Ave has developed into a cul - de - sac / overground car park.

Changing the access / egress route for Castleforbes Sq underground car parks , eliminating the parking congestion outside the Liffey Truust Builing and landscaping the area is a positive and long overdue development now that the surrounding area is becoming more and more developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dylan2017

In the retail units in the Macken house building the two units are let agreed One is going to be a chemist and the other a medical center pp is due within the next month also the new Gala store is nearly ready i'd imagine with in the next two weeks that be open

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Point Square set to hit market for €100m in September

Prime Dublin docklands portfolio includes retail, offices, cinema and 750-space car park

Gibson Hotel (not included in the sale).

The ongoing boom in office and residential accommodation in Dublin’s north docklands is set to spur the interest of a wide range of international investors in the upcoming sale of Point Square.

Agent Savills Ireland is expected to bring the retail-led portfolio to market this September at a guide price of about €100 million.

The long-anticipated sale of the scheme on behalf of receivers Grant Thornton is a substantial one, and will comprise 246,000sq ft (22,800sq m) of retail space; 100,000sq ft (9,300sq m) of office accommodation; a six-screen cinema; a 32,500sq ft (3,000sq m) leisure unit; 25,000sq ft (2,300sq m) of restaurant and cafe space; and a 750-space car park. Some 90,000sq ft (8,350sq m) of the retail space is held by Dunnes Stores through a long-leasehold interest, while the complex’s multi-screen cinema is let to Odeon Cinemas.

Verizon and Voxpro operate from Point Square, while the current food and beverage operators within the scheme include Starbucks, Eddie Rockets, Ruby’s, Freshii and Salad Box

Also included in the portfolio is the Glassbox, a new purpose-built restaurant building of 2,217sq ft, which is under construction adjacent to the main Point Square complex.

While the fortunes of the original Point Village’s developer, Harry Crosbie, suffered during the recession, the economic recovery of recent years has served to transform the city’s north docklands into a destination of choice for investors.

The wider and now renamed Point Square development is home to Live Nation’s hugely-successful 3 Arena, which hosts more than 100 concerts a year, and the 252-bedroom Gibson Hotel, which is owned by German real estate investor, Deka Immobilien.

The Exo Building – which is under construction and due for completion later this year – is situated on-site and, on completion, will see the addition of 2,000 workers to the Point Square area.

The prospects for the Point Square portfolio have been enhanced further by the recent opening nearby of Ireland’s largest off-campus student accommodation complex. Built by developer Michael O’Flynn and global fund manager BlackRock, the Point Campus scheme comprises 966 bed spaces.

But while the proximity of that student population is significant in itself, it pales alongside the 115,000 people now living within the immediate vicinity of Point Square .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good news on sale. Maybe the new owners will be able to do something with the long vacant retail units. Also maybe Dunnes may now engage with a fresh owner seeing as the tainted litigious relationship with Crosbie will have become severed.

Standard parking prices have gone up in the Point, quite a bit in terms of the day cap. I'd expect that to keep ratcheting up as more developments open and the remaining on street goes away

An Post possibly. Moving from the GPO which would then be modernised and rented out most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pomberg

Hi folks,

Just wondering has anyone had any dealings with Liffey Trust Studios? I live in Liffey Trust apartments over 3 years now and their attitude regarding noise control has got worse and worse. Three times this week the main studio has been BLARING. It’s either riverdance, some kids class or some plastic paddy trad session for Spanish students, as long as they’re getting money they don’t care.

I’ve rang them numerous times, called into them, messaged their page on FB and never to any avail.

I love living here and understand given the location, it’s bound to have noise. I live on the green bar side and must say they abide strictly to a smoking area curfew and have always responded fairly.
    The dance studios are just awful.
    Who is worth talking about this and has anyone tried to do so before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Keep a diary and after a few weeks approach the manager. If they fail to act then report to Dublin City Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I wouldn't bother dealing with them anymore and just start to contact the Dublin city council regarding this.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-air-quality-monitoring-and-noise-control/noise

Advertisement