Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Village Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not an accurate comment. Far more left leaning than the national government. Far more NIMBYs too. Across the North and South inner city areas Sinn Fein have the most councillors with 3.

Fianna Fáil (11)
    Green Party (10)
    Fine Gael (9)
    Labour Party (8)
    Sinn Féin (8)
    Social Democrats (5)
    Solidarity–PBP (2)
    I4C (1)
    Independent (9)[a]

Its an entirely accurate comment. There is a ruling coalition - "The Dublin Agreement" - which is FF-Green-Labour-SD. 34/63 seats.

The others have no influence until the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 manofachill

green, labour and sd are all left of centre for one thing. It doesn't work in practice the same as a national government

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Anyone else living beside the student accom block at the Point getting very annoyed at the what seems to be gangs of people coming out of the accommodation at 3am and staying outside screaming and shouting for a few hours every Friday and Saturday night lately?

Are they having large parties inside there or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

CucaFace wrote: »
    Anyone else living beside the student accom block at the Point getting very annoyed at the what seems to be gangs of people coming out of the accommodation at 3am and staying outside screaming and shouting for a few hours every Friday and Saturday night lately?

Students being students I suppose, no night clubs or anywhere for them to go with the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pomberg77

CucaFace wrote:

CucaFace wrote:

Actually checked this thread last night because I could hear it.
    I'm on the opposite side of Liffey Trust so fairly isolated from it but that's crazy how much noise has come from there in recent weeks. I'd be livid if I were more exposed to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

An Post will start fit out on New H.Q. in Exo Building in early 2021.

AN POST will move its historic headquarters from Dublin’s GPO to the new Exo Building in the city’s docklands in the second half of 2021, it has told potential contractors.

The building will be Dublin’s tallest office block, at 79 metres.

It is close to completion and was touted earlier this year as the new HQ for An Post.

An Post has confirmed that it intends to start fitting out six floors of offices at the premises in the second quarter of 2021.

“It is envisaged that the fit-out will be completed over a circa six-month period commencing in early quarter two of 2021,” it has told potential contractors for the fit-out.

An Post said it hopes to take possession of the fitted-out premises some time in the second half of 2021

The net internal floor area of the six floors being taken by An Post will be about 100,000 sq ft. That represents a significant portion of the total 169,000 sq ft that the building extends over.

An Post said it intends to complete the fit-out as a “leading example of sustainable and innovative office accommodation”.

“The fit-out will deliver efficient layouts, high quality working environments for the occupants and energy-saving measures including minimum environmental ratings of LEED Gold v4 minimum,” it said in a tender document.

An Post will take vacant possession of its floors at the Exo Building prior to the commencement of any fit-out works.

“The building will be multi-tenanted and there could be other tenants fitting out other floors during the course of this fit-out,” it added.

The Exo Building is one of a number of potential locations that was shortlisted by An Post for its new headquarters. Others included Dublin Airport.

The building was developed by Nama-appointed joint receivers from Grant Thornton and bankrolled by a fund advised by Tristan Capital Partners and SW3 Capital. Those two funders acquired the development in late 2017.

An Post will retain a public post office at the GPO while its Witness History museum at the premises will also remain there.

Latest News on whats happening to Castleforbes Business Park and the former A1 site from yesterdays Irish Times

Glenveagh to charge council up to €791,500 for family apartments
    Housebuilder expects to get €33.4m for 71 social housing units at 702-unit city centre development.
    Housebuilder Glenveagh expects to charge Dublin City Council €33.44 million for 71 social housing units at a major development on Sheriff Street

Glenveagh, one of the State’s best known housebuilders, expects to charge Dublin City Council €33.44 million for 71 social housing units at a major development on Sheriff Street.

In a letter to the city council about how it might meet its Part V social housing obligations under the plan, Glenveagh estimated that the units might cost the council up to €791,531 each.

That price relates to six three-bed apartments it is offering the council in the 702 unit scheme.

The builder is also planning to sell 14 two-bed apartments to the council at a price of €641,899 each and 41 one-bed apartments for €408,074 each. Glenveagh is also planning to offer the local authority 10 studio apartments at a price of €297,323 each.

Glenveagh has lodged a “fast track” planning application for 702 apartments in nine blocks on the six acre site at Castleforbes Business Park at Sheriff Street and East Road, Dublin 1. The plan, which is classed as a strategic housing development will be considered by An Bórd Pleanála.

The overall plan comprises 406 one-bed units, 100 studios, 169 two-bed units, 15 three-bed units, eight two-bed duplexes and four live-work duplex units.

Located 400 metres from the Spencer Dock Luas stop, the blocks will range from one to 18 storeys reaching up to 206 feet in height.

Indicative
    In a letter to Dublin City Council, Wesley Rothwell, director at Glenveagh Living, said the figures were “purely indicative and are intended to provide a reasonable estimate of the costs and values of the units based on construction costs prevailing at the time of the application”.

He said any ultimate Part V agreement was dependent on the final grant of permission and the site value of the time of planning permission.

In a letter to Glenveagh’s consultants, Brady Shipman Martin, the city council said its preferred option was to acquire units on site.

The planning report lodged with the application states that the vision for the proposed site “is to transform an underutilised brownfield site through a major urban regeneration project, by consolidating the various areas which meet at this confluence point”.

The application is the last of three applications Glenveagh has for the overall site.

“This new urban quarter will combine living, employment, public realm, and a significant cultural offering in a diversified model of housing supply, new adaptable employment, and community use opportunities,” the report says.

The application is open to submissions until January 19th, with the appeals board due to a decision on the application in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's rough enough around there anyway but it's not going to get better if they keep giving apartments to Sheriff st heads.
    Last girl I went out with owned an apartment around there, beautiful place, but she did have some rather less salubrious neighbours in the building who got the luxury apartments on the social.
    It has no effect on me, but they shouldn't be giving apartments in that part of town to wans who get pregnant from Sheriff st and that seems to be what's going on at the moment, not really fair when most of us will never be able to live anywhere close to the city centre due to the price of everything.
    **runs and hides**

Johnny Ronan in ‘fast-track’ bid to build Dublin’s tallest tower
    Developer submits planning application for 45-storey block in city’s north docklands

Johnny Ronan has taken the latest step towards fulfilling his ambition of delivering Dublin’s tallest building with an application to An Bord Pleanála to build a 45-storey residential tower.

The proposed structure forms part of a wider mixed-use scheme known as Waterfront South Central, which Ronan Group Real Estate (RGRE) is building in the city’s north docklands.

As part of its application, which it submitted on Wednesday under the Government’s Strategic Housing Development (SHD) or “fast-track” planning process, RGRE has sought permission to develop a total of 1,005 apartments distributed across three blocks ranging in height from eight to 45 storeys over a triple-level basement.

At 155m, the tallest of the scheme’s three blocks would be Dublin’s tallest building, dwarfing both Liberty Hall (59.4m) and the 88m (23-storey) tower on Tara Street for which RGRE secured planning permission in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

subpar wrote: »
    Developer submits planning application for 45-storey block in city’s north docklands

Johnny Ronan has taken the latest step towards fulfilling his ambition of delivering Dublin’s tallest building with an application to An Bord Pleanála to build a 45-storey residential tower.

I am in favour of some taller buildings strategically located in Dublin.

However, two points;

Have we learned nothing from Ronan point, Ballymun and Grenfell tower?
    High rise and homes are uncomfortable bed fellows in Ireland and Britain. Office blocks with restaurant and viewing places on top, are fine but people need to live closer to the ground so they can evacuate in case of fire.

To what level of moral degradation have we descended, that someone can leave creditors unpaid on a massive scale, yet can rise like a phoenix, to amass a new fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Because people who've made (and lost) large amounts of money tend to have the experience, skillset and contacts. To be able to repeat the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

tabbey wrote: »
    High rise and homes are uncomfortable bed fellows in Ireland and Britain. Office blocks with restaurant and viewing places on top, are fine but people need to live closer to the ground so they can evacuate in case of fire.

I just can't believe people are still saying this in 2021

............................................________
    ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
    .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
    .........................,/...............................................":,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:"........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
    ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

tabbey wrote: »
    subpar wrote: »

I am in favour of some taller buildings strategically located in Dublin.

However, two points;

To what level of moral degradation have we descended, that someone can leave creditors unpaid on a massive scale, yet can rise like a phoenix, to amass a new fortune.

I think it looks great. Plenty of cities have “high rise” apartments. Also, I thought Ronan discharged all debts to NAMA?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0401/691460-johnny-ronan-nama/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I just can't believe people are still saying this in 2021

To be fair, while I don't have a problem with residential high-rise, I have a massive problem with high-rise and "social" housing. Recipe for "anti-social".

Just like a few bad apples can harm a housing estate, a few bad apples in an apartment complex can be disastrous.

Also, prior to the pandemic, the red luas line was already beyond capacity. During rush hour, it would already be full to capacity by the time it reached just the second stop at Spencer Dock. While I absolutely want DCC to develop the Point area with high-density, there needs to be serious upgrades to public transport in the area.

Residential development at the Point area will generate anti-peak direction traffic - people won't be coming to the apartments to work; they'll be heading in to the city at those times. Its not anywhere near as busy in the opposite direction.

L1011 wrote: »
    Residential development at the Point area will generate anti-peak direction traffic - people won't be coming to the apartments to work; they'll be heading in to the city at those times. Its not anywhere near as busy in the opposite direction.

Yet...

Wasn't busy in either direction only 3-4 yrs ago. Was like a ghost town.

Perhaps, but a lot of what is being built is office space as well (Salesforce Tower, Exo Building, North Dock etc), which will add thousands of people to rush hour. Also, with concerts/events etc, the luas can be overflowing many a weekday evening rush hour heading to the point as well.

Generally to have frequency in one direction you have to increase it in both.

Frequency increase would be challenging, as there isn't much capacity to add more trams through the city centre

Dropping Connolly as a stop entirely (plus adding trams to make up for the longer run time / keep existing headway) is about the only thing that would do it without figuring out how to push more trams through the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well you have to remember that under Bus Connects the area will be better served as well. In the future the 79/79A and the 40 will terminate at the Point (numbering will be changed), plus there's going to be two orbital bus routes nearby, one of which is the 104 that currently terminates at Clontarf Road. And hopefully the Luas will be extended onwards to... Sandymount?

• Advertisement

Frequency increase would be challenging, as there isn't much capacity to add more trams through the city centre

Dropping Connolly as a stop entirely (plus adding trams to make up for the longer run time / keep existing headway) is about the only thing that would do it without figuring out how to push more trams through the centre.

The Connolly stop really annoys me. What a complete waste it is and causes so many other carriages (especially when concerts are on) to be packed.

I dont know why it hasn't be stopped already and they could just call bus aras Bus Aras/Connolly going forward.

CucaFace wrote: »
    The Connolly stop really annoys me. What a complete waste it is and causes so many other carriages (especially when concerts are on) to be packed.

I dont know why it hasn't be stopped already and they could just call bus aras Bus Aras/Connolly going forward.

Fully agree , Connolly stop is unnecessary , you can walk quicker to the next stops. Looks good on the network map , thats all.

Latest news on vacant site at the corner of East Wall Road ( port end )

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/landmark-dublin-docklands-site-seeks-80m-1.4474359

Anyone considering upping sticks and getting out of here? I rent an apartment here and I love it. Been for over four years but the killings and stabbings in East Wall and the IFSC in recent times show the place is getting dangerous. I never see Gardaí down here since the concerts were going.
    That combined some rotten egg neighbours who are just a nightmare, the place is getting dog rough.

Pomberg77 wrote: »
    Anyone considering upping sticks and getting out of here? I rent an apartment here and I love it. Been for over four years but the killings and stabbings in East Wall and the IFSC in recent times show the place is getting dangerous. I never see Gardaí down here since the concerts were going.
    That combined some rotten egg neighbours who are just a nightmare, the place is getting dog rough.

Where abouts are you in the IFSC? Because i personally don't see anything rough down around the point at least.

Sorry to hear about the bad neighbors. Thats a nightmare for sure. Did they just move in recently?

Have to say I haven't seen anything in the IFSC.

Yeah, there was the stabbing of that woman, which was horrific. But that seems to be it. Unfortunately, one-off brutal crimes can happen anywhere (from my own experience, in plush, quite suburbs). All the other stuff I have been hearing (down by East Wall) is just the standard Knackbag behaviour that has always been there. Guards should be sent down there to administer beatings, but it's not going to happen. That's not to dismiss it in any way - I'm just saying I'm not aware of any increase (other than deliveroo riders being targeted).

Maybe with schools closed, there's more teenagers congregating during the day and it appears more menacing? But are they actually doing anything?

CucaFace wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the bad neighbors. Thats a nightmare for sure. Did they just move in recently?

I'm down closer to the point. I don't see trouble either really but don't want to be caught here as the place is getting worse.
    Ah they've been hear for over a year. Usually unnoticeable bar the rubbish, odd bit of noise and just nastiness from them.
    Since working from home, their telly is blaring until around 2am/3am every night, having domestics during that time, their place is just constant noise. Don't want to complain because other people have and they'll possibly get kicked out and they have kids. Can't say it to them because the parents are just nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Pomberg77 wrote: »
    I don't see trouble either really but don't want to be caught here as the place is getting worse.

There's a contradiction in that sentence. Sounds more like a reaction to the media than to reality. Without in any way diminishing the horrific deaths there in the last couple of weeks, the media loves to portray these things as the end of society.

Note the facts of these events but rely on your own experience too.

That whole area has radically changed over the past 6yrs. Mostly because the whole influx of new people into the area. It must be a lot quieter now..

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote:
    There's a contradiction in that sentence. Sounds more like a reaction to the media than to reality. Without in any way diminishing the horrific deaths there in the last couple of weeks, the media loves to portray these things as the end of society.Note the facts of these events but rely on your own experience too.

It's not really a contradiction. Seeing that people are being killed in your immediate vicinity whether it's knife crime or joyriders, you'd be mad not to be concerned and what this place can turn into if left without response.

Advertisement