Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoiler/YouTube Tags

Options
  • 21-07-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, just wanted to make a suggestion in regards to Spoiler and YouTube tags. Sometimes spoiler tags can really be unsightly, especially if there are pages full of big blocks of text covered in grey. It can also get tedious constantly highlighting text.

I'm a member of another forum where Spoilers and YouTube videos can actually be hidden within a box. The box has a simple title of "Spoiler! Click to read!" All it takes is a click of a button to show the hidden text or YouTube video. It makes it a lot easier to follow a discussion as well as preventing a page becoming cluttered with YouTube videos.

In general, it just makes pages an awful lot more readable. Not a major issue I know but I'm just curious to know whether this kind of system is possible?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great suggestion. I post on a site that uses that feature and it's excellent.

It would also solve the problem with viewing the grey boxes on m.boards and smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not something that ever really bothered ne, however i think it would be a good idea. Id imagine however that perhaps the "box" you refer to is not compatible with the software design of this forum, and used more with newer type message boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

snyper wrote: »
    Not something that ever really bothered ne, however i think it would be a good idea. Id imagine however that perhaps the "box" you refer to is not compatible with the software design of this forum, and used more with newer type message boards?

Yeah that's what I might have thought would be a problem. For what it's worth the forum I'm a member of is a vbulletin one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What was the result of the last thread regarding YouTube links? The one were you can post the link without having to delete the stuff before and incl. the = ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I might have thought would be a problem. For what it's worth the forum I'm a member of is a vbulletin one.

Yes, they're both fords, they have a Focus.. we have a model T. :pac:

edit: I might just add its a model T - kept in fantastic condition*

*edit made so site developers dont get angry with snyper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quoted spoilers are unspoilered at the moment - not good.
    I like that box spoiler thingy and have seen it and used it elsewhere.

Youtube videos - it would be great if they were automatically converted to links or thumbnails when quoted.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On a similarly versioned VB board I have I use the spoiler button rather than the grey box and it works fine. There is no technical reason why it can't be done here, other than perhaps they don't want to mess with existing hacks that are in place here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

WindSock wrote: »
    What was the result of the last thread regarding YouTube links? The one were you can post the link without having to delete the stuff before and incl. the = ?

I think Ross or Conor said it wasn't possible because the BBCode doesn't allow for any conditional search and replace, so they can't check to see if the user has entered the full URL of the video, or just the video ID.
    Quoted spoilers are unspoilered at the moment - not good.

Are you sure? Seems to work OK here. Though, I hate that spoilered text in the first post of a thread isn't spoilered in the thread preview.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

eoin wrote: »
    I think Ross or Conor said it wasn't possible because the BBCode doesn't allow for any conditional search and replace, so they can't check to see if the user has entered the full URL of the video, or just the video ID.
    There is different BBCode available, but this would involve replacing the current hack which I'm sure they have no interest in doing. Also, people are used to the current way in the main, so it might cause as many problems as it solves, in the short term at least.
    Are you sure? Seems to work OK here. Though, I hate that spoilered text in the first post of a thread isn't spoilered in the thread preview.

I think he is referring to the fact that if you quote a post that has a spoiler in it, when you are writing your reply you can see what is in the spoiler tags.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, OK. It must have been an isolated incident. Maybe the person quoting me accidentally snipped a character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

snyper wrote: »
    Id imagine however that perhaps the "box" you refer to is not compatible with the software design of this forum, and used more with newer type message boards?

I can't imagine, in theory, that it would be *that* hard to implement. You'd just wrap the spoiler text/YouTube video in an html div tag with default style "display: none; ", then when someone clicks "Show Me" you change this to "display: block; " using Javascript.
    document.getElementById('spoiler_'+postId+randomNumber).style.display = 'block';

I'm totally unfamiliar with vBulletin mind, so this may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

LZ5by5 wrote: »

I'm a member of another forum
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You two-timing, cheating hussy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

keefg wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You two-timing, cheating hussy!!

I have needs that can't be satisfied here. :P

Advertisement