Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold mix tarmac for pathway

• 21-07-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

I have a short section of pathway leading to a shed that I am looking to surface. I am considering using some of the cold mix / delay set tarmac and putting it down myself with a vibrating plate compactor. The path is about 10m long and will have foot traffic only.

Does anyone have any experience of using this stuff and how durable it would be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its generally used for temporary stuff.

it will never set as hard as hot mix. and while it is going off it will leave tar on your shoes so prepare to have tar in your house.

perhaps a concrete footpath may be better.

others might have a different opinion but not sure its a good idea for long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

Is there any particular reason why you wont use hot tar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

It's just the access is quite restricted for getting machinery in. The path is off a recently tarmacced yard. I figured the cold tar stuff would match the yard fairly well, and still be DIY'able job. Based on responses above though I might look at paving slabs I think

tipperary wrote: »
    It's just the access is quite restricted for getting machinery in. The path is off a recently tarmacced yard. I figured the cold tar stuff would match the yard fairly well, and still be DIY'able job. Based on responses above though I might look at paving slabs I think

yeah i was thinking access might be the issue. i did a little pathway recently and the only access was through the doors of the house. thought it might be a disaster but turned out to be easier than i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi eosirl08,

what material did you do your pathway in?

• Advertisement

tipperary wrote: »
    Hi eosirl08,

what material did you do your pathway in?

I just used the normal hot tar and got a micro roller. turned out be perfect. was kinda hesitating at first but i bit the bullet. delighted with it

Advertisement