Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What annoys you most about religious people?

• 21-07-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭

Taking a leaf from Zillahs book (you're a legend btw :) ) I feel I can't puddy-foot around the fact anymore, religious people annoy me. There, I said it.

I'll now explain why in no particular order:

Arrogance:
    Science has shown us, through orbital and terrestrial telescopes, how utterly massive and beautiful this universe is. Now this is really an understatement 'cause it's even bigger than a lot of peeps can imagine.

...and religious people seem to think this is all here because of them.
    This sickens me most of all to be honest and belittles the beauty and majesty of the entire universe.

Faith:
    It's just that, faith. Please don't try to conjure up pretend science-based proof for this and that to somehow try and strengthen your point. What you believe in cannot be proven - that's the definition of faith. Accept that, if you are going to continue to believe in what you believe, you have no foot in the door of science, so don't even try to go there.

Ignorance:
    "Proof isn't important, god is 'just there', I'll do what I'm told."

Digging your head in the sand is not what the human race is about; we're naturally curious, naturally in need of knowledge and naturally wanting to find a purpose in life. Replacing this with what primitives thousands of years ago thought was a magic beard in the skys enforced purpose diminishes what is ultimately important, personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility:
    Religion is nothing more than a mechanism to shift blame or praise for everything off the religious shoulders.
    If I take a life, it's not the devil, it's me ffs!
    If I save a life, it's not god, it's me ffs!
    If I live a good life and am not a prick to everyone I meet, it's my own natural sense of good and not some rambling ancient book with get-out clauses and questionable morals.....ffs!

I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING I DO - END OF!

Afterlife:
    Let's cut to the chase here - this afterlife thing is a reward mechanism.
    "Be good now, then you'll reap the benefits when you're dead."

Hows about this instead....
    "Be good now and you'll reap the benefits of living a fulfilling life while you're living it!"

Subjugation:
    I'm ~ok with being told what to do by the following:
    My Wife.
    Gardai.
    Government.

I'm not ok with being told what to do by the following:
    Men in dresses who have no idea how the outside world operates.

Y'know, it felt good to get all that off my chest....:)
    So without getting into the whole "they're all nutjobs" argument, what's your particular bug-bear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

smokingman wrote: »
    Subjugation:
    I'm ~ok with being told what to do by the following:
    My Wife.

ROOKIE!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CLOSED until I figure what to do with this rant thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement