Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Draft Round 2: Frisbee v LuckyLloyd

• 21-07-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Match 3 of 5. Best of luck.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bump lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

There's no poll.

Also I'll do my write up tommorow, only home now.

Frisbee wrote: »
    There's no poll.

Also I'll do my write up tommorow, only home now.
    I was waiting for each to post before adding the poll due to complaints of early voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Here's my generic write up to start:

Pick 1: Wayne Rooney
    Pick 2: Gerard Piqué
    Pick 3: David Silva
    Pick 4: Igor Akinfeev
    Pick 5: Rafael van der Vaart
    Pick 6: John Heitinga
    Pick 7: Pelé
    Pick 8: Giovanni van Bronckhorst
    Pick 9: Raul Meireles
    Pick 10: Emmanuel Eboué
    Pick 11: Sulley Muntari

Team Line-up:

Akinfeev

Eboué
    Heitinga
    Piqué
    van Bronckhorst (C)

Meireles
    Muntari

van der Vaart
    Silva----

Pelé

Rooney

My team is based on being compact, working well as a unit across the whole pitch and getting attacks started from the back with direct play and counter attacking football.

Akinfeev is a top keeper who will help keep me in games by himself, he has brilliant reactions and is well capable of spotting the right ball and launching my team onto the front foot with a quick kick out or long throw.

Piqué and Heitinga are a centre back pairing that I think is going to work very well together. Piqué will play in the more sweeper role, using his intelligence and reading of the game to mop up any balls that are put through over the top or inside the full backs to an overlapping attacker and he also has the pace, height and strength to go head-to-head with any striker and use these attributes to win the ball back. Heitinga on the other hand will be the 'attacker' of this pairing, man marking the opposition centre forward and using his strength and leap to match them in the air or on the ground. If the other team is playing two centra forwards Piqué is perfectly capable of stepping forward from the 'sweeper' position and man marking the other centre forward.

Neither Eboué or Gio are the most attacking of full backs but they both give me solidity and dependability. Eboué is the more attacking of the two, having often been utilised at right wing for Arsenal when defending a lead to give them more defensive cover. He has pace, power and stamina and will take on board any instructions given to him and stick to them. He will have licence to get forward when the opportunity presents itself, thus allowing van der Vaart to step slightly more central and closer to Pelé and allow them to use their skill in there.
    van Bronckhorst will have less attacking licence than Eboue mainly as I want a minimum of three at the back at alll times. Gio is an experienced campaigner and someone of his experience will be a brilliant calming influence on my team and he will reprise the captains armband he holds at both Feyenoord and with the Dutch national team here again. He also scores cracking 30 yard stunners in World Cup semi-finals. :D

Meireles and Muntari were two players I was hapy with for the position I got them in the draw as both can do the job I require of them very well and both are established midfielders. Neither will be playing as the typical anchorman style of defensive midfielder, but rather they will be used to chase and hassle any opposition players on the ball and once again both have very high levels of physical fitness to keep this up throughout an entire game. Muntari is all about pace and power, has a good tackle and is not afraid to get stuck in. Meireles also gives me an outlet in front of Pique for ball distribution, he is a very good passer of the ball and can easily spray balls forward for the onrushing wingers and forwards.

In my two wide men I will be getting different styles of play. van der Vaart on the right will be playing as less of an out and out winger, rather cutting inside more onto his left foot to have a pop, in turn this space he leaves will be open for Eboué to make an overlapping run into. The idea of playing left footers on the right wing and vice versa allows for more shots on goal and getting van der Vaart to cut inside anywhere inside 25m of the goal can easily have disastrous effects for the other team.
    Silva will be operating as a slightly more standard wide man, using his pace and trickery to go past his man and deliver quality service into the box, something he is undoubtedly capable of doing. There is also the unpredictability value when it comes to Silva too, if a defender is sick of seeing him go past him down the line constantly he may try and block the line off in which case allowing Silva to cut inside where he is equally dangerous either shooting or supplying Pelé.

Pelé. To be honest I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to describe this one for you. Recognised the world over ans one of the greatest players of all time and by FIFA as joint best player of all time this guy is going to bring something really different to my team. 1087 goals in 1120 games for his hometown club Santos is a crazy scoring record and that was not even him playing as an out and out striker, but rather playing in the hole behind the frontman which is the same role he will be occupying in my team. A player of his skill is certainly someone who needs to be rigorously marked for an entire game and by my than one player. IF anyone does try and do this it leaves more time and space for the likes of Rooney, VDV and Silva which is something no team wants to be doing. Operating between the opposition midfield and defence is going to see him get a lot of the ball with time to turn at it and drive straight at the heart of the opposition defence which is where he can really hurt a team.

Rooney has the ability to be a match winner all of his own and will cause trouble for any defence in this competition. He's not had a great World Cup but he's just had his best ever season with United and with a fantastic goal return too, however Rooney brings so much more than goals to a team. His willingness to chase down every lost cause and not give any opposition defenders any time whatsoever on the ball as putting defenders under pressure will often lead to you regaining possession in some shape or form. Lethal in the air, running at defenders and inside and outside the box Rooney is the complete forward and brings a work rate that is second to none to my team also. His intelligence in making runs will also be a huge factor to the success of my team, if he chooses to drop deep he will drag a defender out of position and leave space for Pelé to drift into or even VDV or Silva to cut in from the flank and drive at the exposed gap in an oppositions defence. He also has the pace to match any defender in reaching a ball played over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pique != Puyol :pac:

• Advertisement

Due to a no show from LuckyLloyd I am awarding a walkover to Frisbee.

Advertisement