Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Netgear on NTL cable

Options
  • 21-07-2010 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

I have a problem with my wireless connection. About 2 years ago i got NTL cable with Netgear router package in my house. It was working fine for about 12 months. After that connection through wireless start giving a trouble. It was going down if I start downloading anything and to get it back I need to restart a router, but it was working perfect if cable was connected to laptop directly. Eventually wireless connection stopped working altogether (computer connects to router with no problem, but there's no internet coming out of it), but still works perfect when wire pluged in directly to laptop. I rang NTL, they said it all ok in there end and asked to ring Netgear. Netgear said that because router is out of warranty I need to ring there costly help line, but they can't ensure that they will fix a problem. If anyone had a same problem or knows how to fix it please HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Can you rule out the possibility of there being a problem with the computer's wireless? If your wireless router has in fact gone bad then you've no option really but to go and get another one. Double-check the antennnas etc. & maybe borrow another router from someone just to test everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hi

Some handy wireless tools for checking wireless

http://www.vistumbler.net/

http://stumbler.net/index.php?cat=2

If I understand you correctly you can connect wirelessly to the router but cannot get an internet connection.

Can you connect wirelessly and Ping the Router to prove you are wirelessly connected?

Cheers
    Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Evaldux

Thanks for links witch are really helpfull. I ran ping trough router it is connected, but still no internet. Looks like the only solution will be to get new router... Found an info that this is a common problem with new gen Netgear routers...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you upgraded the firmware on the Netgear - tried changing channels and so on?

Advertisement