Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setup Packing for Visual C# Express

Options
  • 21-07-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

Naturally a nice msi packaging program does come with the Express edition of Visual C#.

So the question is whether there is some way around this, such as using a third party app, such as Inno Setup compiler, and including any dependencies with the EXE.

Any ideas or workarounds - excluding upgrading to pro? ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Assuming you want to create installers for your project, I've found Nullsoft's install system very good, simple to use but effective. It's pretty widely used on both commercial and FOSS projects.
    http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Don't know what the story is with integrating it with VS, it has pretty extensive plugin support, though as I recall the Express editions of Studio don't. You can use it standalone pretty easily though - it just works off text scripts that describe your install process, files, etc, and compiles those into installer binaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Don't know what the story is with integrating it with VS, it has pretty extensive plugin support, though as I recall the Express editions of Studio don't.
    Indeed; whether one uses Nullsoft or Inno or some other setup package, if one wants to do so from an app written for an express edition of VS, it's bound to be a bit of a hack.

However, while obfuscated, all the building blocks are there in theory - so even if there is no one click app that's been written for this purpose, there must be some articles on the subject (not that I've managed to find any so far).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Just to report back. SharpDevelop is an open source alternative IDE for C#. Amongst other things, it allows for the development of setup projects, which presumably would solve the problem I previously discussed.

I've not tried it, but thought I should report back in case someone comes across this thread in the future with a similar question.

Advertisement