Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does she need to change her name

Options
  • 21-07-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

My Wife and I got married in new york in january 2010 in City Hall. She took my name and i am just wondering what do we need to do here in Ireland to register the new name?
    Who do we contact any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

In Ireland you can call yourself whatever you want, you don't register anything anywhere. You just start using the new name and let whoever needs to know, know.

She just has to tell her work, call up whatever service providers she deals with and they will just change the name. Call into the bank she set up her account with and bring the marriage cert. If she wants to change her passport and driving licence she'll have to apply for and pay for new ones. She will need to send the marriage certificate along with the applications, either the original or an official copy, they will send it back once the application is complete.

If she still has several years on her passport and decides to wait until it runs out to change it she can either send the marriage cert or proof that she has been using the other name for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

iguana wrote: »
    If she wants to change her passport and driving licence she'll have to apply for and pay for new ones.

Not true for driving licence, you can change the name and/or address for free, just fill out the form and send in the documents. It comes back with the same expiry date, as you would expect really.

Advertisement