Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donadea Forest Sports Challenge

• 21-07-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Noticed this on runireland, anyone on here entered? Its a 5.7/21/5.7 draft legal duathlon. Right beside me so I was thinking of heading over to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Hey thanks for the heads up, I'm local also - just signed up! Physio said don't run until Saturday and go for a light one, guess this qualifies... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm not sure what the bike situation will be, brief notes that drafting is allowed which should mean draft legal spec bikes but its not a TI event so I'm not sure. Think I'll be on my road bike anyway.

Mailed the organisers, tri bars/bikes are allowed.

Nice race this morning, little damp and dirty. Will stick up a report later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Yeah good race, well organized with friendly marshalls and staff I thought.

Had to pull up on second run with an ITB problem, but sports masseuse on site was a nice help. Guess I should have listened to the physio...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

mloc123 wrote: »
    draft legal spec bikes

My understanding is that drafting has nothing to do with type of bikes, but area around the bike.
    What do you mean? TT bikes?

911sc wrote: »
    My understanding is that drafting has nothing to do with type of bikes, but area around the bike.
    What do you mean? TT bikes?

http://www.dublintri.com/draft-legal-faq.html see the section on bikes. If it is a draft-legal bikes are usually limited to a road bike with stubby, bridged tri bars.

Hadn't planned on doing this race until I spotted it during the week, signed up on Thursday night and decided I would see how I felt on Saturday morning.
    Up Saturday morning and it looked like a nice day out so I decided to head over, OH was using the car so I decided to cycle over as a warm up. Nice handy pace to loosen the legs up, it was only 16km anyway. I didn't know what to expect standard wise for this one, I spotted Colin Bulger and another Pulse guy.. turn outs it was Jo Lynch along with Eilis Connery.

Run 1

I started a little back in the field and when the race started I went at a comfortable enough pace, 100m in and I found myself in the lead group of 5/6..this was new teritory to me and I decided to tuck in behind the two Pulse guys. We along with a couple of others missed the first left turn and had to double back after a few shouts, worked back up to the front again and kept going. The route was a mix of gravel, track and some muck nad was hilly enough... nothing serious but it was always up or down. As I settled in the leaders slowly moved away. I arrived into T1 in around 13th/14th position I think.

T1

Wet mucky runners off, helmet on, sunglasses on... sunglasses off. They had fogged up in the rain and I couldn't see a thing. Out of T1 and onto the bike, made up a place or two here.

Bike

The first 500m of the bike was a little patchy, good bit of gravel before hitting the main road so I took no chances. One guy passed me on this section and he was gone, he put in a serious bike split for a solo effort. The first 8/9km was into a decent headwind, passed one guy along here. It was a pretty lonely bike tbh, drafting was allowed but I had nobody to work with. With about 7/8km to go we passed through Donadea village, the section had about 8 speed bumps and I noticed a guy coming up behind me. As I hammered off one of the speed bumps I felt a twinge in my right calf... I quickly eased up and it was fine. The guy behind passed me and I dropped back, drafting wasn't going to make any difference now. I kept him in sight until the end of the bike.

T2

Off the bike, racked and tried to pull my wet runners onto wet socks... right calf twinged again.

Run 2

Out just behind the guy the passed me on the bike, I passed him after about 300m. I knew there were no more places to be made up, the last 2km on the bike was a straight and I had spotted nobody ahead. I kept him at a steady distance behind, tried to shake him off a couple of times but it wasn't happening. Plodded around and finished up with enough left for a sprint if it was needed... it wasn't.

Finished up 11th overall which was okay. The calf almost cramping was something to be concerned about but I put it down to dehydration, I had only had a cup of tea 2 hours before the start and drank nothing on the way over or on the bike.

Advertisement