Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare batteries for a Canon 7D

• 21-07-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend where they have purchased back up/spare batteries for a 7D for good value?

I have twice been through the process of buying on ebay and both times the batteries don't communicate with the camera so I've had to return and get refunded. It's very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Did the batteries work? Most of the cheap batteries do not come with a microchip built-in that communicates with the camera. the camera will work fine except that you will not be able to monitor the power levels left in your battery.

The simple solution is to have an extra battery or two packed (as you would normally do anyway). Or buy the very expensive canon batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Yeah that's the thing, the camera would be on but no battery level would show. I must see if there is mch usage out of one.

Is there a way around it if they do work in this way, whatever chip is missing - can it be replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

No way round it as far as I know. I am using Photix batteries (and Canon). They work as good if not better than the Canon version from what I have read in other forums. I have had no issues so far. I seem to get as large a number of shots from the Photix as the Canon battery on my 7D. You might get the odd dud rechargeable battery from third party suppliers but you could say that about Canon (or Nikon batteries as well).

If you want to be sure of the charge left in your battery, just buy the Canon battery. It did annoy me at the start not knowing what the exact charge level was left. But it really makes no difference if you are carrying some spare batteries.

Even if you new that the battery was running low, you will normally keep taking photos until the battery stops and then you just swap in a new one and then continue on snapping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Only see this thread now. I bought 4 batteries (2 for my friend) from www.7dayshop.com for our Eos 40d and they are fine. My camera shows power left and I also think they are lasting slightly longer than Canon battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Another +1 for the Phottix batteries. I'm using them in a D300 and they seem to hold up ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement