Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managing contacts on Android/Desire

• 21-07-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have my phone a while now but haven't moved my contacts over to it so I want to properly put my contacts list together.

Ideally I would love to have my contacts all in Gmail or somewhere like that so that if I lost my phone then it wouldn't be a big deal as it would just sync up again. The only thing with Gmail etc is that it seems to show up contacts from people I might only have contacted once etc.

Is there any way to do with this (doesn't necessarily need to be with gmail) but keep it to only the contacts I want in my list?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Google contacts?

The phone is designed to automatically sync with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

What I did was most all my gmail contacts (collected loads over the years and 99% of them I didn't need).

I then exported all my contacts to excel and uploaded it to google contacts, its really really handy, will never have to back them up again (you can add new contacts to your google account through android)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I thought Google Contacts pulls in contacts that you might have just emailed once from gmail or from your phone? If not then that would be perfect.

axer wrote: »
    I thought Google Contacts pulls in contacts that you might have just emailed once from gmail or from your phone? If not then that would be perfect.

It can do that too, but it's fully editable, even with profile pics etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

JustinOval wrote: »
    It can do that too, but it's fully editable, even with profile pics etc.
    Excellent, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pwwillia

how do you sync all your contacts with google contacts? including the ones on your sim card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also you can configure your phone to only show contacts that actually have phone numbers entered, which is usually enough to drop all of those people you might have emailed once 5 years ago that wind up in your google contact list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

How would I access my contacts to upload them on my pc?

(HTC HERO btw)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Stephen wrote: »
    Also you can configure your phone to only show contacts that actually have phone numbers entered, which is usually enough to drop all of those people you might have emailed once 5 years ago that wind up in your google contact list.

You can goto Contacts > Menu > Display Options and check only disply contacts that have phone numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Orlee wrote: »

(HTC HERO btw)
    If you want to be able to edit the contact list, your best bet is to let the phone sync with your Gmail account, then in Gmail on the PC select Contacts/Export and pick the .csv option. You can easily open and edit .csv files with MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc.

(You can also export all your contacts onto the SD card and transfer that to the PC, by going to People app - menu button - Import/Export - Export to SD card, but my Desire insists on exporting in .vcf format which is a pain in the teeth if you want to edit... It's great for backup purposes though.)

• Advertisement

Orlee wrote: »

(HTC HERO btw)

To edit/manage them? By far the easiest method is to simply log in here -

http://www.google.com/contacts

..assuming you have a gmail account, and you have sync'd your phone.

Advertisement