Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sherlock [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

2017 is a long way off for a Sherlock fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

A fantastic actor. He was...well...marvellous in Marvellous. :)

Can't wait to see him in Sherlock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    2017 is a long way off for a Sherlock fix.

Considering we had to wait a couple of years between s3 and the so-so Christmas episode, a year isn't that long!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

maudgonner wrote: »
    A fantastic actor. He was...well...marvellous in Marvellous. :)

Can't wait to see him in Sherlock.

Holmes and Watson are
    The Detectivists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Looks interesting. Hopefully more detective work and less meta references this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Really looking forward to Toby Jones. It feels like he's made to be a Sherlock Holmes villain. The only surprise is that it's taken this long for it to happen really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ScottScott

Amanda is always hilarious!!! :-D :-D :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Back tonight 9PM 8.30PM BBC1.

Noticeable drop off in anticipation compared to Series 3 when we were all on the edge of our seats for the 'how did he survive' reveal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭yoppy

Ending of last season was so bad, some of the worst tv I've ever seen, I'll probably watch tonight but I won't go looking for it if I forget.

Actually, it starts at 8:30 tonight.

The lack of excitement was not helped by last year's Christmas special being complete rubbish. I say this as a huge Sherlock fan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Has an awful lot of work to do to get me back on board. Last year's was one of the worst shows I watched all year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Folks, I missed the the Victorian time travel ep. The last ep I saw, was the end of the last series, where they spent Xmas at the parents house. Am I missing anything from the time travel ep, that I'll need for tonights new ep? Ta.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Folks, I missed the the Xmas special, the one where they went back in time. The last ep I saw, was the end of the last series, where they spent Xmas at the parents house. Am I missing anything from the time travel ep, that I'll need for tonights new ep? Ta.

I'll say no, I can't remember anything that happened. Sherlock is no longer being banished

It mostly took place in his head and no, you didn't really miss anything.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Is Mary the worst thing to ever happen to a TV show? It was already on the decline but her character is the bullet in the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Is Mary the worst thing to ever happen to a TV show? It was already on the decline but her character is the bullet in the brain.

My vote for that award goes to River Song. Either way, Moffat wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Amazed by how little traffic there is on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I fully agree, both the character and the actress are incredibly annoying in my opinon.

• Advertisement

Oh FFS, I was 15 minutes behind and just got to the end, I honestly thought they show would be above this.

This stinks, such awful filler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Oh dear, that was not good at all. Not a patch on the early stuff

Well that was awful. Hour and a half of self indulgent nonsense. Really liked the first 2 seasons, was willing to write off the 3rd as a misstep but that really was the worst episode of television I've seen in quite sometime. Martin Freeman's reaction to the death of Mary was the lone highpoint in a mountain of garbage.

Call of Duty: Mary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I liked it :confused:

Also, I don't think there is a TV show or movie around that correctly displays digital interactions as good as Sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Well that was awful. Hour and a half of self indulgent nonsense. Really liked the first 2 seasons, was willing to write off the 3rd as a misstep but that really was the worst episode of television I've seen in quite sometime. Martin Freeman's reaction to the death of Mary was the lone highpoint in a mountain of garbage.

Yep... first two seasons were brilliant... it's getting tiresome now... which disappoints me :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Incredibly disappointing. It all seemed so amateur and held together so loosely. Everything about Mary was so hard to take seriously and the snappy one liners were a bit desperate. Had been looking forward to this for ages but don't think I'll bother with the next episode now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

At least there was no Moriarty thank god. The idea of Mary being a super spy assassin has always been hilarious to me. Showing the AGRA people drop in, shoot a load of people and then have one pull of their masks to reveal Amanda Abbington made me laugh so much. Then realise that they probably didn't mean it to be funny, which made me laugh again.

I hope Johns bus lady friend turns out to be evil.

Yep... first two seasons were brilliant... it's getting tiresome now... which disappoints me :-(

It actually made me angry watching it, as ridiculous as getting angry at a tv show sounds. It's become so gimmicky. It's pretty clear I'm not the target market. Unlike the first couple of seasons there's literally nothing clever about it, when (SPOILER!!!!) the reveal happened in the aquarium I laughed thinking the show must be on a wind up, the reveal perfectly summed up how low this show has gotten.

Hrududu wrote: »
    At least there was no Moriarty thank god. The idea of Mary being a super spy assassin has always been hilarious to me. Showing the AGRA people drop in, shoot a load of people and then have one pull of their masks to reveal Amanda Abbington made me laugh so much. Then realise that they probably didn't mean it to be funny, which made me laugh again.

I hope Johns bus lady friend turns out to be evil.

When she said "I'll be back" I expected the sentence to end with "milk from the store in a bit." I get how she got the role but it's still the most glaring ridiculous bit of casting I can remember.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Twists and turns for the sake of twists and turns.
    There's a point at which it stops being clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Honestly, the bit I enjoyed the most was the case at the start with the body in the car.

I also felt that they were too flashy with the overlays and all. Took away from it, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sherlock: The master detective who sees everything and can deduce almost anything about you

Mary: Super spy/soldier/agent, part of an elite group of the most talented of their kind likely in the world

Secretary: Old woman who spent about 30 seconds reaching into her bag for the gun and likely has the reflexes of a shoe managed to get a shot off surrounded by Sherlock, Mary, Mycroft, Lestrade and a bunch of armed guards.

Other than that, I enjoyed it for the most part. Could have sworn Mary getting shot would have ended up being a scenario in Sherlock's mind, especially when Watson pointed out about Sherlock's vow (which was a weird thing for him to say, even in his grief). And even though Mary's plane disguise thing was utterly stupid, it was also kinda funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Utterly disappointing. It's a parody of itself. Unless the next two episodes are a lot better I don't see a future for it.

Not sure how they can weave in the moriarity thing now, really felt that needed to be addressed in episode one of this series otherwise it'll just drag.

Really disappointed, I was really looking forward to the new season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

So Mary, a highly-trained secret agent who should have brilliant reflexes and be able to think on her feet and under pressure, has enough time to jump in front of Sherlock, but doesn't think to push him out of the way or pull him down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Frigating wrote: »
    So Mary, a highly-trained secret agent who should have brilliant reflexes and be able to think on her feet and under pressure, has enough time to jump in front of Sherlock, but doesn't think to push him out of the way or pull him down?

I think the point is that she supposedly wanted to die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That was muck. The endless padding and filler leaves me wondering, did they cobble that together to write her out as Freeman and her split up?

It all just seemed really incohesive.

I'm still processing it but agree it's not as good as the first 2 seasons - a victim of its own success.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Pretty poor. They'll really need to up the game to bring it close to the standard of the first two seasons.

It was crap. I was very disappointed.

Apart from the Ghost Driver case, that was pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I didn't think it was that bad. Definitely not as good as the early episodes but better than the third season. At least they've stopped the "mind palace" stuff. Honestly, I don't think they can ever top the last ep of Season 2, but it's still watchable for now.

I liked the twist on the original "Six Napoleons" story and the scenes with Sherlock and Mycroft. The John-with-the-woman-on-the-bus subplot just annoyed me; yeah, the character is a bit of a womaniser but they were also harping on about him always being loyal earlier in the episode. And the trope of expecting Moriarty but getting Mary is just tiring at this stage. I think they always were going to write Mary out because Arthur Conan Doyle did (badly, in one sentence) but it could have been done better. Hopefully this clears the way for actual detective cases in the next episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

I think what marks the first two seasons out is how tight the narrative is: self-contained episodes with an overarching Moriarty plot. And the twists, while they are dramatic, happen within that simple framework, so we're willing to accept them. But now it seems they've abandoned that. The solving of cases has become secondary to the main plot, which is now more akin to a spy film. (When did Sherlock learn to fight?!) And with the main plot having twists and turns, we're never going to be satisfied by the perpetrator being some old secretary whose motive is unbelievable.

Also, and I don't think this was intended, Sherlock has become conceited in a way that he wasn't initially; he used to be a sympathetic character with a vulnerability, but now he's just an arrogant jerk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

If you are using a "tracker" to follow someone then how do you end up getting there ahead of them so you can be sitting waiting for them?

Advertisement