Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sherlock [** SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Great final episode.

As to the discussion as to his fake death, a few quick thoughts:

1. The lads with the stretchers was there very quick - too quick?
    2. It was obvious (to me) that John was deliberate meant to be bumped into (by one of his brothers men?) - this give just enough time for switching/placing the fake body?
    3. The people around the body were very (too?) quick just to NOT let John near the body - even though he said he was a doctor!
    (If someone said that to me in such a case, I wouldn't hold him back!)
    Was some of the people on the street aiding his Sherlock's brother to fake the death?
    4. The bit on the phone? Sherlock afraid it was tapped into by the bad guys?
    5. The final scene of Sherlocks brother - showing sorrow/depressed but for what! Sherlocks supposed death or reading in the paper his name supposed ruined and he was partly responsible?
    (In the original books when Holmes returns, its later stated that the brother knew all along of Sherlock being alive. In fact helped to manage certain aspects.)

There is also this... The street where John stood!
    I'll say nothing and see will anyone notice anything... something a bit odd? :D

20120116014152small.jpg

Another view... ???

20120116015755small.jpg

Damn it!
    I want the next part on next week!
    Its cruel to make us suffer like this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

@Bigging ... is it the arrow pointing at Watson?

If not, do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Anyone think the handshake between Sherlock and Moriarty on the rooftop significant ?

ToadVine wrote: »
    @Bigging ... is it the arrow pointing at Watson?

Nope.

It could be something, it could be nothing.
    Clue: Whats in front of John? If John had come further and not stood where he was, might if he rounded a corner of something, see who was driving a laundry truck?
    Then unintentionally give the game away?

Also, why was a laundry truck parked where it was? On a main street where some stuff could be additionally robbed while its on yellow lines?
    Such trucks are usually found at the back of buildings and/or inside in yards parked to collect their stuff - not parked on London public high streets?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'll give praise here...Moriarty was a fantastic villian/nemesis in this ep. - truely superb, we all had doubts, mostly because of little screentime and OTT acting + Irish accent, but damn did he not play some blinders.

The way he destroyed the whole Sherlock creation and name, all his deeds....all fake, they did a good job of seeding doubts into the minds of the characters + the viewing audiece.

As Sherlock himself said....you WANT to belive he's a fake because his abilities are just sooo abnormal, he's above us all....thus what Moriarty did was to bring Sherlock back down to our level.

I'm reserving judgement of the end and wait and see how Moffat writes it up, hopefully it'll be an intelligent reveal of how Sherlock did it, i agree with others that the fall/death and how it was edited left little doubt in the auidences POV that it was Sherlock, but clearly the last few seconds discounts this.

Ergo bait and switch seems the only option with added Molly. I'm overlooking that end and judge the episode to be excellent.......BUT, i still belive the first ep. of S2 was the best of the entire six eppy run.

Why?....it had great humour, great chemistry, brilliant whitty writing, Lara Pulver, slick editing, stylish.....ergo i think the Irene Adler ep. was by far the best. But this was a very strong end due mostly to the terrific gameplaying by Moriarty.

4.5/5

I gave ep. 1 a full 5 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

Going to have bit of a waffle... all just personal conjecture... last sentence is only one that matters!

All the episodes have been of a fairly high standard, with a handful of low points - the solution to the Hounds of the Baskervilles being the obvious one (was too over-wrought... I know the pressure-plates/mines were supposed to replicate the 'dangers of the moors/Grimpen Mire' from the original, but it stepped too far into the realm of fantasy).

Acting was really good this episode. I think it all hung together very well. I like the 'blank spots' that were left hanging around Moriarty's motivations. Even though the ending was telegraphed a mile away.... something still managed to catch in my eye during the 'suicide' speech. :(

Mycroft is shown to bungle much like Mycroft in the original stories - i.e. an absolute genius, a one-man clearing-house for Whitehall, but often lazy and disconnected - he believed he could use Sherlock's name to get to Moriarty, but he hadn't thought through the practical consequences of revealing information. A huge bungle for a man's whose job presumably involves a lot of secrets. His failure to act when Sherlock's name was being tainted as part of Moriarty's scheme is also very in keeping with this character. If it wouldn't completely ruin the character, I'd love to see a 'Mycroft' special.

I liked the ties back into the original pilot - especially the policewoman (who seemed to just be an ordinary street cop in the pilot, but is now some sort of Dective Sergeant???) having her anti-Sherlock bias confirmed and leading the charge against him. It's in the same pilot that I think it's hinted several times that, if it wasn't for John Watson, Sherlock was heading down a very dark and inhuman path - with distain for the 'ordinary people'. (An incidental part of the subtext of what Moriarty is saying when he comes to Holmes after the trial).

The kidnapped kids are brainwashed into screaming when they see Sherlock. I don't think there is a need to overcomplicate this, and I don't believe the mercury poisioning is key to the brainwashing (I don't think suggesibility is a key symptom of mercury poisioning, although hallucinations, hysteria and brain impairment is). In the first episode of this series, we see Irene Adler continously getting photos of Sherlock texted to her. These are strongly implied to be coming from Moriarty. So he has an established stock of material to use to brainwash the kids if he wants. The mercury poisioning is just that extra touch of 'class' you'd expect from your commoner-garden supervillian. :)

I think that Moriarty finally saw in Sherlock what he wanted - what he hoped - was there: the dark streak of a kindred spirit. Sherlock was his playmate - finally someone to break the boredom. The same boredom Sherlock suffered from. Moriarty's reason for everything was to have fun. He was dejected when he thought Sherlock was ordinary and he'd beaten him - but when Sherlock so angrily dismissed the notion he was 'ordinary' just because he was on the side of the 'Angels' - he saw his own ego and passion reflected back at him. He knew - he suspected - that Sherlock could beat him. Mycroft didn't do anything for Moriarty, because he was too dispassionate and removed from him (he called him 'the Iceman')... but he could see enough in Sherlock in that one moment to reignite his interest. Moriarty amused himself by 'playing' with the ordinary humans.... maybe that's what he thought Sherlock was ultimately doing. I loved the way he didn't particulary seem to want to die (when he grabbed Sherlock's hand, he seems to weigh up whether to sacrifice it all to win 'the game'.... or carry on trying to distract himself with the 'ordinary' people).

Sherlock is handed the ultimate victory in this episode - like most in the series, perhaps a little too tidily. I think it's telegraphed he was a few steps ahead of Moriarty in the end. He had Molly prepare a cadaver, he had Watson carefully positioned then distracted by one of his Irregulars and he jumped into the back of the rubbish/laundry van. Quick body switch. Sherlock has staged deaths good enough to fool even Mycroft before. Watson, Hudson, Lestrade et al... have complete plausible deniability. Watson (and us) 'saw' what Sherlock wanted to be seen.

His 'warming' to Molly also seems to look cynical and much more in keeping with his character then a declaration of emotions. He knew she wasn't a target - never could be. Moriarty - who had 'dated' her - knew the level of disdain he held her in, so Sherlock felt it safe enough to let her be his aid and one of the first few who knew he was alive.

I'm also glad that the Moriarty arc seems to be over. Thought he was a great villian, but he'll remain a great villain much longer if he isn't overused, much like in the original books (where he only appeared a handful of times).

Great series.... but it's only just whetted my appetite! I don't want to have to wait so long for only a handful of episodes again. :(
    I really really want his tea service.
    +1 I've never wanted a tea set more in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I think a few things point at Moriarty’s body being the body on the ground:

1. As someone already pointed out, the name of the episode was The Reichenbach Falls, or, in English, Rich Brook falls.

2. In the book, both SH and Moriarty fall together – this, plus the on-going dialogue between the two about them being the same person could point to them falling “together”, or in this case one of them falling but appearing to be the other.

3. SH’s last phone call – he made sure that the three people he cared about knew he was a fraud – on first glance this is to do with the set-up story, but this could be his way of saying “what you’re about to see is fake”. Otherwise why go out of his way to make sure John told the other two that he was a fraud? It’s the kind of thing you could imagine SH laughing at John for not understanding.

4. There was no mention of Moriarty’s body being found.

As for how they switched the body, I think the other theories on here about the laundry truck and SH’s people milling around make sense, although how the body passed a presumably police-led post-mortem isn’t clear – unless of course Lestrade or Mycroft is in on the whole thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

"Sherlock, "The Reichenbach Fall," (also an adaptation of The Final Problem - Arthur Conan Doyle) "

how faithful an adaptation is it? Good read?

I have only seen second series - but it has been class

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Manny7 wrote: »
    I think a few things point at Moriarty’s body being the body on the ground:

1. As someone already pointed out, the name of the episode was The Reichenbach Falls, or, in English, Rich Brook falls.

2. In the book, both SH and Moriarty fall together – this, plus the on-going dialogue between the two about them being the same person could point to them falling “together”, or in this case one of them falling but appearing to be the other.

3. SH’s last phone call – he made sure that the three people he cared about knew he was a fraud – on first glance this is to do with the set-up story, but this could be his way of saying “what you’re about to see is fake”. Otherwise why go out of his way to make sure John told the other two that he was a fraud? It’s the kind of thing you could imagine SH laughing at John for not understanding.

4. There was no mention of Moriarty’s body being found.

As for how they switched the body, I think the other theories on here about the laundry truck and SH’s people milling around make sense, although how the body passed a presumably police-led post-mortem isn’t clear – unless of course Lestrade or Mycroft is in on the whole thing too.

Yes, all of this. :)

I did also like that the "fall" also refers to Sherlock's fall from grace.

And even though I'm not a massive fan of Martin Freeman I was really moved by his performance, it was very convincing. I just wish someone would write some other type of character for him to see what he would do with it. He's clearly very talented but I tend to forget when I see him playing the same type of person more or less over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Manny7 wrote: »

Molly does the post mortums. Mostly, on her own.

I think Biggin's point is that there is obviously a ledge, or something, between the place where Sherlock will fall and where Watson is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I did also like that the "fall" also refers to Sherlock's fall from grace.

Good one - didn't think of that at all.

And you're right Yahew, Molly would do the post mortem so that explains that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Have to agree with nearly all that's been said here. Really enjoyed this episode. Loved the words 'The Final Problem' being said again and again ( it's the name of this story in the original books ). Loved that the 'few lines of code to open any lock' was fake, I thought it was a really poor concept so it bothered me that they were using it. And then they went and threw it away *because* it was so unbelievable! I thought Martin Freeman's acting was excellent, as was the girl who plays Molly. Just the concept of people wanting to believe the lies about Sherlock, and the role of the papers, was very good.

Now that I think of it, what was Molly referring to when she said that she sees that Sherlock only pretends to be ok when he thinks Watson is watching, and comparing it to her Dad when he was dying? I thought for a second that was leaning towards Sherlock being sick or something? She knew something was 'wrong' with him, what was it?

As for the final bit, I was quite surprised by Moriarty killing himself. Did he do that just to force Sherlock to do the same ( as then it was Sherlock's only chance of saving his friends )? And because he knew he'd have to go back to playing with the 'ordinary' people? I should really have expected him to die though, as he did in the original story.

So, the way I see it is that Sherlock did jump, after ensuring that Watson was in the one place where he couldn't have a uninterrupted view of the complete fall. He then jumps into the laundry truck. The body on the ground that Watson sees is either Jim ( maybe with a Sherlock mask - after the kidnapping? ) or some other body from the morgue, made to look like Sherlock. Watson gets knocked over so he's dazed ( that's a bit thin though, no guarantee that he'd hit his head in the fall ) so he doesn't see it's not Sherlock. He does check for a pulse though, so it's definitely a human body, not a dummy.

Molly had to be involved obviously ( either to just give Sherlock a body, or maybe to throw Jim's off the roof - and to help with the Post Mortem ) and I wouldn't be surprised if Mycroft is as well, so he can help keep the switch concealed ( a lot more than Molly on her own can do ). A sort of way of making up for betraying Sherlock in the first place.

Am very interested in what they'll do next season ( I really hope we won't be waiting as long as we waited for this one! ). Moffat mentioned online that in the books Watson was married ( at least once - Conan Doyle wasn't very clear ) and didn't always live with Sherlock, and that he ( Moffat ) finds that interesting. So, maybe we'll come back and it'll be a few years on ( it was 3 in the original books ) and Watson will be married etc. when Sherlock reveals himself?

I also found interesting parallels with the most recent season of Doctor Who. In both cases, the hero has got too popular, too well known, and the Doctor faked his death so he could have a low profile again. Now Sherlock has faked his death, but when he comes back, how will the public / press react? The headline showed something like 'Fake Genius Kills Himself', so clearly the press have their mind made up. Is his name cleared when he comes back? Is he like a Dark Knight, letting the lie be believed?

Anyhow, enough ramblings, I'm looking forward to watching this one again! :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I loved it! But one thing is niggling at me - so Sherlock spoke to Molly before he went to the roof, I assume to set up the body switch (if indeed that is what happened). But how could Sherlock have been sure that Moriarty was going to kill himself? Was the faked suicide just a plan B in case he couldn't talk Moriarty around? Or did he know from the start that Moriarty was going to ask him to kill himself and that Moriarty would kill himself, since he now had nothing left to live for - he'd beaten his only worthy opponent and wouldn't want to go back to playing with the "little people".

• Advertisement

Sesudra wrote: »
    I loved it! But one thing is niggling at me - so Sherlock spoke to Molly before he went to the roof, I assume to set up the body switch (if indeed that is what happened). But how could Sherlock have been sure that Moriarty was going to kill himself? Was the faked suicide just a plan B in case he couldn't talk Moriarty around? Or did he know from the start that Moriarty was going to ask him to kill himself and that Moriarty would kill himself, since he now had nothing left to live for - he'd beaten his only worthy opponent and wouldn't want to go back to playing with the "little people".

Yeah. thats the question. I am supposing that he assumed Moriarty would ask Sherlock to kill himself, and that Moriarty would also die in some way. Inevitably, only one would get alive. So M dies either by his own hand, or Sherlocks.

Yahew wrote: »
    I think Biggin's point is that there is obviously a ledge, or something, between the place where Sherlock will fall and where Watson is.

It could be a continuity slip up - then again it might not be - but just looking at the screen-grabs I posted from the very quick scenes that was put out last night, there seems to be either a ledge lower down and/or smaller building in front of the place where the truck was!

Sherlock jumps to the lesser ledge and from that quickly shoves off a prepared body?

Its just another possibility - or partial one...

Great fun just thinking about it! LOL

Damn you Moffitt! LOL

I think this is what happened.

1) Sherlock falls inside the outer building.
    2) He lands safely on something.
    3) watson sees him fall - assumes all the way.
    4) WE - the viewers see a body hit the ground - thats just a cut to a body hitting the ground. Where it came from is unknown, but its not Sherlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love this show, it's just amazingly entertaining! Kept turning to my boyfriend when we were watching this last night, saying "this is SOOO much better than the movie" which we had gone to see in the cinema a couple of days before :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think that the kidnapped little girl recognising him will be part of the solution. A double or a clever disguise which SH could have used to fake his death with the help of Molly.

I don't think the road was a main/busy road as Biggins suggests though - when he suggested looking closer at the road it appears to be a turning circle with an arrow on the right hand side of the road (wrong way in UK), presumable to leave ambulances pull in. But yeah - the ledge and laundry van are surely part of the solution.

Apart from how the death was faked I'm also really, really, really looking forward to the typically SH way (no doubt) that he announces that he's still alive to John Watson and others at the start of the next series. Any ideas? Something small at first...then "ta-daaaa" he's back and obnoxious as ever.

Also, read some criticism that John Watson has none of the military (or medical) bearing tha the character is supposed to have (from the books). Thought of this at the graveyard scene last night when he did an about turn and marched off.....sweet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Also, read some criticism that John Watson has none of the military (or medical) bearing tha the character is supposed to have (from the books). Thought of this at the graveyard scene last night when he did an about turn and marched off.....sweet :D

He's walked like that a couple of times during the series, I always thought it was a good touch. And he's been involved at looking at bodies, estimating cause / time of death etc. as well. So I'm not sure on what that criticism was based! :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Thought of this at the graveyard scene last night when he did an about turn and marched off.....sweet
    Yes it looked like he was about to salute.
    I think Homes was planning his death from the time he told Molly that he was going to die.
    He called Moriarty and arranged the roof meeting. We don't know what else he did in between then and meeting M. Mycroft was involved and Molly wouldn't need to do more than supply a body and fake death cert. Mycroft could supply the rest of the cover up.
    Notice how insistent Homes was that Watson be in a certain place for the 'sucide'.
    Again |I wonder if Homes had foreseen the suicide of Moriarty, possibly he had arranged an arrest once his friends were safe. Moriarty's reveal of the useless key upset that but the prearranged death left Homes with another option, this time playing to an audience so looking more real.
    I like that Homes was taken in by the unique code thing, it would appeal to his constant looking for a challenge and his arrogance led him to believe that if he wanted he could create such a key so why not Moriarty. Homes being smarter had two options in the end, Moriarty only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Really enjoyed last nights episode, all the cast gave powerful performances. I had tears running down my face at various points of the night.

What I loved especially was how Sherlock suddenly realised how much Molly meant to him and how she is just as observant as Sherlock is ( something which we know he admires and is an expert as) and that he can trust her no matter what. When he turned up at the hospital and told her that she does matter, and that he thinks he is going to die and that he needs her - such an emotional and beautiful scene. Also shows how he is grwoing and somewhat more aware of other people's feelings etc.
    Think it was a good idea to have Molly help Sherlock fake his death rather than Moycroft ( mind you he could be involved but do not think so).

The whole showdown on top of St Barts was amazing and how both Sherlock and Moriarty kept dancing around each other and playing the game right till the end. Good to see that Sherlock was taken in by code and that he too can be wrong and is human
    Then Sherlock calls to John and Sherlock actually crying amde me cry.

Cannnot wait till Series 3 and the big reveal.

I cannot wait to see the look on Donovan and Anderson face's when Sherlock turns up alive and how his name will be cleared. I really really wanted to punch them in the face last night & at one point thought Donovan would be in league with Moriarty in some way.

Here is the latest video from John's Blog also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BnMmAkc1LmM

Sesudra wrote: »

I think Sherlock needed Molly both to help cover up is death afterwards- fake medical records, not allow anoyone to see body in morgue etc.
    Also I think maybe she provided Sherlock with some drug to mimic death and disguise his pulse, so when John grabbed his wrist he would believe Sherlock to be dead. Sherlock would have no problem knowing which drugs would be needed and Molly would be able to get them and then ensure Sherlock was ok in moruge and not turn into a popsicle in the freezer and help bring him around etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think the kids were dosed with something other than just mercury, so they were told they were kidnapped by Sherlock and they saw what they expected to see.

And I think it's the same thing that John got dosed with by the lad on the bike, so he saw what he expected to see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

My thoughts on the ending..

Sherlock jumps off the roof and lands in the back of the laundry truck, a quick smeer of some fake blood and possibly takes a drug to make him seem dead and to have no pulse before he hops out of the truck and lays on the ground. The cutaway and building blocking Watsons view mean neither us or Watson get to see the impact. Watson is so dazed after getting knocked over he barely checks for a pulse, he does look and see it is Sherlock but he doesnt look for too long or in much detail. They put Sherlock on a stretcher, he gets pronounced dead and sent to the morgue. At that stage Molly applies some adrenaline or whatever is needed to wake him back up. They then get the body of Moriarty from the rooftop and thats the one that gets buried.

Neither the shooter or Watson can see Sherlock hitting the ground so both of them assume he is dead. Sherlock knew that Moriarty wouldnt be alone and knew that the only way this would end is if one of them/both of them died.

Molly works in the lab and has access to all sorts of drugs and obviously would be able to help when he was brought to the morgue. He already said he needed her help so we know shes involved but I think its more about reviving him in the morgue than just providing false papers.

There doesnt need to be any masks or switcharoo's. The girl screaming could be for a number of reasons, they could have been drugged or fed some story by Moriarty, he may have even wore a mask but I don't think its anything to do with the end. Science and using some drug to make him appear dead seems more suitable to Sherlock Holmes, masks and stuff belongs to Mission Impossible.

Axwell wrote: »
    There doesnt need to be any masks or switcharoo's. The girl screaming could be for a number of reasons, they could have been drugged or fed some story by Moriarty, he may have even wore a mask but I don't think its anything to do with the end. Science and using some drug to make him appear dead seems more suitable to Sherlock Holmes, masks and stuff belongs to Mission Impossible.

Traditionally Holmes is meant to be a master of disguise, though, isn't he?

Having said that, I think I agree something like your summary happened. How long do we have to wait for the next one? :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Biggins wrote: »
    There is also this... The street where John stood!
    I'll say nothing and see will anyone notice anything... something a bit odd? :D

20120116014152small.jpg

Yeah. Some bastards have parked in the ambulance space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Sherlock positioned Watson at a precise point where a single storey building blocked his view of the apparent impact on the pavement. Sherlock then dived into the carefully-placed lorry full of bags before quickly getting out to lie on the pavement (note that he's turned through 90 degrees to lie parallel to the building). He had a few pints of blood (probably real) poured over him before the lorry drove off and onlookers began gathering. To stop Watson reaching the 'body' during this time, a cyclist from the homeless network faked an accident, knocking Watson to the ground.

Once all was in place, Watson arrived and took Sherlock's pulse (finding none, we assume). There's a magician's illusion involving squeezing a small rubber ball against the arm to stop the flow of blood (link), and we've seen Holmes with just such a rubber ball up in the Bart's lab. After Watson let go of Holmes's wrist, various medical people (maybe unwitting, maybe accomplices) hustled the 'body' away.

It does leave open the problems of what happened to Sherlock once inside the hospital, and what happened to Moriarty. Molly must have been very busy indeed.

@darjeeling - thats probably it but *we* saw a body hit the ground.

• Advertisement

The body was hustled away very quickly. I would have thought someone would insist on calling the police before moving the body. Was it clear if any other passers-by had a view of the actual jump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Yahew wrote: »
    @darjeeling - thats probably it but *we* saw a body hit the ground.

I guess we don't know if the body had fallen clean from the rooftop, or rolled out of the lorry, though it was a bit cheeky of the director to show it as he did.

Malari wrote: »
    The body was hustled away very quickly. I would have thought someone would insist on calling the police before moving the body. Was it clear if any other passers-by had a view of the actual jump?

Well as Sherlock had just jumped the medical personnel would try to save his life and being outside St Barts of course Sherlock would have been rushed inside the hospital. Why would you wait for the police to come if the staff thought there might be a chance they could save his life. Not like the body was discovered after hours and was stone cold and obviously dead.

We also got a shot showing us it was Sherlock that they put on the stretcher so it was him being brought inside the hospital to receive attention. It is here I believe Molly was instrumental in getting Sherlock up and out of St Barts to lie low until he is sure he can return.

Important to remember that in the original books Sherlock stays away for something like 5 years in order to ensure that Moriarty is dead and that he can round up his people.

So Sherlock will obviously have to stay hidden and find and either eliminate or get arrested the hitmen out to kill John, Mrs Hudson and Lestrade, only then will it be safe to reveal himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

If its Sherlock on the ground, whats happened to Moriarty's body on the roof?

tommy2bad wrote: »
    If its Sherlock on the ground, whats happened to Moriarty's body on the roof?

See this is what I am wondering too as there is no mention of it at all - even in the "BBC news report" on John's blog.

Now it could be a important part of plot you never know with the writers, or it could be all revealed in S3 that is was found and buried. Interesting to see if it is spun as a suicide or spun that Sherlock murdered him before he jumped.

Podge_irl wrote: »

:pac:

Well spotted item also! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Given that Conan Doyle did actually wait a few years before (begrudgingly) resurrecting Holmes, and what with the careers of Cumberbatch and Freeman taking off in Hollywood, we may be waiting some time too for the inevitable season 3.
    They are sticking to the originals loosely so I'm betting on a fast forward of 3 or 4 years before Holmes reappears.
    ...I'd be very surprised if Mycroft knew at the time what was going on (civil servants write things down and leak stuff)...but he'll know before Watson does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Absolute cracking stuff!

My tuppence worth on last nights episode.

Always thought that Sherlock landed somewhere soft be it a ledge or laundry truck. Never thought that body could be Moriarty untill reading this thread, mainly because I didnt think he was dead. I just thought Molly had organised a random stiff and turned it into a Sherlock looky-likey.

I find it hard to belive that Moriarty is done with, and if 'he' is dead I wonder if there may be a twist and someone else turns out to be the real Moriarty.......like a woman.....like maybe a police woman or certain reporter.

Random babbling over.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Podge_irl wrote: »
    20120116014152small.jpg

read the words!

AM AI ONLY

He's a ROBOT! thats how he survived the fall!

Maybe, he survived as a miniturised version of himself inside of a normal sized robot replica?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Skerries wrote: »
    read the words!

AM AI ONLY

Hmmm...

Well, John did pejoratively call him a "machine"...

...and he's said that he doesn't eat while working.

Then there's the "Sherlock scan" and the Minority Report-like memory palace.

My goodness, I think you could be on to something!

Skerries wrote: »
    read the words!

AM AI ONLY

:pac:

Very good! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

'So the only place you'd have expected to see Sherlock again, was in a graveyard. That is unmoving, below the earth - rather than watching mourners pay their respect from behind a tree. He even had John and Mrs Hudson fooled.'

Did I miss something??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jan/16/sherlock-how-fake-own-death

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

'So the only place you'd have expected to see Sherlock again, was in a graveyard. That is unmoving, below the earth - rather than watching mourners pay their respect from behind a tree. He even had John and Mrs Hudson fooled.'

Did I miss something??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jan/16/sherlock-how-fake-own-death

What idiot at the Guardian approved that headline and then straight after it wrote spoiler alert??? Horse. Barn door. Bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Fantastic episode
    I loved how the fall meant 'fall from grace' and possible 'Rich Brook Fall', the story line was absolutely brilliant, I love how the 'couple of lines of code' thing turned out to be false.

I thought Sherlock was going to jump off along with JM (like the book), but JM killing himself so sherlock had no other option was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Ellian wrote: »
    What idiot at the Guardian approved that headline and then straight after it wrote spoiler alert??? Horse. Barn door. Bolted.

That story is over 100 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2087402/Sherlock-Holmes-WILL-return-series-year-BBC-confirms.html

^^^It's Probably in the thread already, I can't look as I haven't watched the last ep yet. Posting this with one eye closed. lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The thing is right....it was renwed for season 2+3 at the same time, so Moffat and co. knew they have more eps. after this, the season 2 finale destroyed the Sherlock character, so they must have plotted out a plan already going forward to season 3.

Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The thing is right....it was renwed for season 2+3 at the same time, so Moffat and co. knew they have more eps. after this, the season 2 finale destroyed the Sherlock character, so they must have plotted out a plan already going forward to season 3.

Right?

Given the relatively lame-ass way in which season 2 opened after season one's cliffhanger, I wouldn't have high hopes for any plans Moffat etc have made for the opening of season three.

Has anyone resolved how Watson was able to walk in and out of Baker Street without being picked up by the CID, when he went to check on Mrs. Hudson?
    They were still fugitives at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement