Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for selling a house

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have a fairly big four bed bungalow on its own private site surrounded by trees etc about 15mins from cork city centre and i'm wondering has anyone got tips on how to ensure it sells as quickly as possible. I know price is king, but what else can be done to ensure a quick sale????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 snausbaby

The key is not to think of it as your house anymore and make it as generic as possible so people can imagine their own themes and lifestyle.

De-clutter - else people may assume storage is poor.
    Clean!
    Depersonalize - remove/hide toiletries, family photos and minimise ornaments.
    Remember kerb appeal - if you are lucky enough to get viewings booked you don't want them driving off because the front looks uncared for.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The "nice smell" thing isn't an old wives' tale. Although the buyer will spot it a mile away, a pleasant smell when entering a room creates a positive link in the viewer's memory, just as a bad smell will create a negative link. Baking bread is always a good one. I'd avoid strong perfumey smells.

If it's a sunny, calm day, opening windows and doors can make it all very pleasant - especially for a house like your one.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

As per the posts above:
    - Good photos. Treat the photos as a first viewing, because that's effectively what they amount to nowadays. If you are using an EA, insist on good photos using a camera with a reasonably wide lens (sometimes EAs go overboard here, but others/most are hopeless). If the EA is taking crap photos, insist on taking them yourself and spend time doing it. In fact you're better off doing it yourself anyway, because you can a/ Wait until its a pleasant day. b/ Take pictures of the back and front of the house at different times of the day when the sun moves around, so that it looks like the house is generally nice and sunny.
    - Neutral Decor; - go for bright, light and airy. If repainting go with light colours, - pick a colour you like in the paint catalogue, then go one or 2 shades lighter again.
    - De-clutter: If it can go get rid of it, even if if you think its lovely and it makes the room nice (within reason). We had practically no ornaments or anything around and even got rid (temporarily) of childrens toys, pet paraphernalia. etc. The same goes for gardens, - don't have crap and clutter around them either.
    - Having the place freshly painted is huge bang for buck IMO
    - De-personalise: Get rid of all family photos, any sports trophies, souvenirs, pet stuff, - almost any reflection of your own personalities. People viewing should be able to visualize themselves living there and not feel uncomfortable because they are walking around someone else's home.

- The place should be spotlessly clean, - absolutely spotless
    - Mirrors are good for reflecting light and giving a feeling of space.
    - Turn on lamps around the house to brighten the place up when people view.
    - Make sure its not cold when people view (turn on heating if need be)
    - Think the baking bread that always gets mentioned is a bit desperate personally, - but the point is a good one. Personally I think a simple clean fresh smell from having the place wiped down and generally clean should be good enough.
    - Do any odd jobs that need doing. It gives people a lot of confidence if they think the place has been well maintained.

Generally, you want to give an impression of space, light and airy-ness.
    Don't underestimate the difference the above points can make. The majority of people can't see past a mess or general overall poor decor and more people will go for the house in "turn key condition", even if it costs very little in the grand scale of things to set the place right.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

I know you said price is king, but it really is. Most people are now aware prices are going to continue to drop for years, so they won't be willing to pay anything remotely close to what the bubble prices were.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know you said price is king, but it really is. Most people are now aware prices are going to continue to drop for years, so they won't be willing to pay anything remotely close to what the bubble prices were.
    With this in mind, have the price on the home seller sites maybe 20k or so higher than the price you'll the sell the house for, so should they low bid, it may not be below the price that you'd sell it for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

seamus wrote: »
    The "nice smell" thing isn't an old wives' tale. Although the buyer will spot it a mile away, a pleasant smell when entering a room creates a positive link in the viewer's memory, just as a bad smell will create a negative link. Baking bread is always a good one. I'd avoid strong perfumey smells.

If it's a sunny, calm day, opening windows and doors can make it all very pleasant - especially for a house like your one.

Another winner- is to get Porchetta from a craft butcher and slow roast for 6-7 hours before hand. The rich herby smell throughout the house is inexplicable unless you've experienced it- and its the herbs that permeate the scent (not the pork).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Unless your place offers something incredibly unique (including price) then it's liable to be just as difficult to sell as anyone elses, given the current climate.

Regardless of whether or not you're using an agent, there is (in most cases) no more efficient way than to hold only open viewings (i.e. to multiple prospective buyers at the same time), and just as importantly to ensure that only those interested parties who've been pre-qualified are invited to attend.

There are lots of different ways to market your property but unless self-proclaimed "interested" parties are pre-qualified (either by you or an agent) then they may as well be classed as "tyre-kickers"

The trouble with all this cleaning, tidying, decluttering, baking, nice smells etc etc is it needs to be either maintained over the long term or repeated time after time after time after time etc etc, which is at best a complete waste of your time, or at worst completely soul destroying!

If you're selling without an agent and someone calls up and says "I'd like to view the house" and all you can say is "yes that will be fine, when would you like to come?".. then you need an agent.

You will (or should) know what a prospective buyer will need to buy your house - lots of things actually, but money (or access to it), sincerity, and a genuine interest should all be up near the top of the list.

If you can get a minimum or say 6 prospects who have the above, and you invite them all at around the same time, then providing you know how to really sell (if not use an agent who does), then you should have a well above average chance of selling it at that viewing.

To build such a list can take time, so if someone calls to enquire yes it's difficult to put them off coming around straight away, but sometimes that's what you have to do to achieve a group viewing that works. If you tell them you'll be having an open viewing "next week" or "in a fortnights time" as "there's been such a lot of interest" then if they're really interested they'll still want to come. In the meantime the details can be posted to their home address, ideally with some sort of 'fact find' form to bring along to the viewing.

I'm fairly confident that the majority of people reading this will think it would most likely be counter-productive (e.g. the "hassle" factor may put enquirers off). All I can say is that the 'herd mentality' is seldom the best way to do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Unless your place offers something incredibly unique (including price) then it's liable to be just as difficult to sell as anyone elses, given the current climate.

I'm fairly confident that the majority of people reading this will think it would most likely be counter-productive (e.g. the "hassle" factor may put enquirers off). All I can say is that the 'herd mentality' is seldom the best way to do anything!

Interesting idea Paddy re. the group viewing. I'm not so sure to be honest.
    Clearly it would reduce the hassle factor and as you say the disappointment of wasted effort if things don't go your way.
    TBH, I would have me reservations:
    - If i was a buyer I would perceive the seller as not being very accomodating and not a good omen for a straightforward buying process down the road
    - There's always one mouth that turns up at these things that points out everything wrong with the place to the others
    - Beggers can't be choosers in this environment. You need to go the extra mile to increase your chances, even if it means some wasted effort. The same goes for any sales process, there's always disappointments along the way to making a sale.

Yeah, Price is king obviously, but don't underestimate the boost a good impression gives either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saille13

How easy is it to sell your own house via internet, what sites are best used in this respect? We have photographed all aspects of the house inside and out. Any other ideas? Has anyone successfully sold their house without an estate agent?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

As a buyer, there's no way I'd be intererested in an "open house" or "group viewing." Just no way.

I've turned down viewings because of this, I think it's ridiculous, those days are long gone, it's a buyers market now.
    It always says to me that if the seller has to resort to games like that, there's something seriously wrong with house.

Op, when I view a house that has been freshly painted, the first thing I wonder is what are the sellers hiding, are there cracks in the wall, is the chimney "smoking."

I went to view a house back in April, the seller had light the fire, I could smell the furniture polish and there were a few vases of flowers from the garden in the hall and sitting room.
    The hosue badly needed painting, carpeting and re-tiling but fell in love with it, unfortuntately I was outbid.

OP, lower your asking price decently, by about 50 - 100K, see if that generates any interest, you don't have to sell if you don't want to.
    At least you'll know if anyone's even interested.

You'll get viewings, if they don't put any offers in, ask your EA to follow up and find out why.

Hope that helps.
    Lj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Price it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Having looked with a friend at a number of houses in the area I live in, there was a definitive difference between 'walk in condition' houses & 'do-er upper' houses. After looking at that market for about 9 - 12 months, every house that was in good walk in condition sold, offers went in usually after the first viewing as decent condition houses can be few & far between.

But to mirror other people's advice. It has to be SPOTLESS and de cluttered. And the more photos you can get onto myhome, or daft or whatever, the better. What kind of condition is the house in? And is it dated? Does any plumbing/electrical work need to be done?

We went to see a perfectly sound home that, I can only say was vile, filthy and disgusting. People literally ran to leave the house. If they spent a weekend cleaning it - and a few licks of paint (it was vile purple) it would be sold by now! And for a lot more than they were looking for. Don't underestimate the power of the first impression. You cannot get a mortgage for that 'little bit extra' to dickie the place up a bit when you move in. So it has to be in turn-key condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

Make your own website (using Webs.com or similar which are free) and put lots of photos on it - but only use photos which are really good. You can then advertise on any free sites you can find, putting links to your website for extra information/pictures.
    I'd repeat what others have said re decluttered, clean, any tidying up jobs done, garden pristine, plus if/when anyone phones to ask for a viewing, let them come whenever they want. Even if they're timewasters it's good practice for you in doing the house tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saille13

Appreciate the sound advice will take it all on board and let you know what happens.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

.. so did you sell the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

trying importing rear Tibetan pork belly and sprinkle the meat with herbs & spices imported from south east asia. having this cooking when a potential buyer enters the house. the aroma is simply marvelous.

then using diamonds decorate the walls of your living room.

finally i always find that having a bottle of 18th Century Red from Bordeaux on hand to give to people viewing always goes down well.

in fact building a wine cellar underneath your gaff to hold approx 1000 bottles of wine also appeals to potential buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

who_ru wrote: »
    trying importing rear Tibetan pork belly and sprinkle the meat with herbs & spices imported from south east asia. having this cooking when a potential buyer enters the house. the aroma is simply marvelous.

then using diamonds decorate the walls of your living room.

finally i always find that having a bottle of 18th Century Red from Bordeaux on hand to give to people viewing always goes down well.

in fact building a wine cellar underneath your gaff to hold approx 1000 bottles of wine also appeals to potential buyers.

if ur serious about selling u need to build an extension and put a snooker table in there ,no house will sell thesedays without a ronnie o sullivan style snooker room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kurt01

Lot of things should be considered when you are selling a house. Free online house valuation software is available which will help you by giving an idea the price that can be quoted for sale, or else one can even contact a genuine realtor and ask him to help you in selling your house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Kurt01 wrote: »
    Lot of things should be considered when you are selling a house. Free online house valuation software is available which will help you by giving an idea the price that can be quoted for sale, or else one can even contact a genuine realtor and ask him to help you in selling your house.

Kurt- what is this 'free online house valuation software'?
    To the very best of my knowledge there is nothing out there applicable to the Irish situation.

The general rule is everything is worth what its purchaser is willing to pay for it.
    The Irish twist to this rule is- everything is worth what its purchaser is willing and capable of paying.
    The Irish mortgage lending system is on its knees- in the main the only loans being drawn down at present are low LTV loans at high(er) interest rates. In a situation where there is incredibly low market volume- alongside a lack of clarity on actual prices being paid- determining fair market value is a bit like pulling straws- its a complete and utter gamble.

If you are aware of market valuation software (free or otherwise) pertinent to the Irish market- please let us know.

Advertisement