Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Mooney Discussion

• 21-07-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

I know this is way off topic but have stayed tuned in to Mooney here, purely by accident. Is he always that snippy???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sudzs wrote: »
    I know this is way off topic but have stayed tuned in to Mooney here, purely by accident. Is he always that snippy???

I think digs about his sexuality in the texts were pissing him off. I quite like his snippiness. It's a change from forced cheeriness.

That said, I have switched over to Moncrieff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think digs about his sexuality in the texts were pissing him off. I quite like his snippiness. It's a change from forced cheeriness.

That said, I have switched over to Moncrieff.

I agree - I'm really developing a respect for him. He says what he thinks. "to those who felt it was inappropriate - get over it". Fair play to the guy, it's refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Did anyone hear Mooney this afternoon?

He started by responding to calls and texts giving about a piece he did yesterday

It was about psychiatrists in the UK who to try and "turn" gay men straight.

Lots of angry people saying it wasn't appropriate for daytime radio.

I heard the original piece and found it very interesting, he handled it well.

At one stage a texter asked him today if HE was about to come out...

Dont know if i should post his response...but it was interesting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I created this thread because alot of people listen to liveline, which is then followed by Mooney, and posters often make comments about something they hear on Mooney in the Liveline thread, which is obviously off topic.

I don't know how popular mooney is among boardsies. I listen to him most days, and some days he can be interesting, and some days not.

Dont mean to put you off the show, but later on todays programme is Richie Kavannagh, of Aon Focail eile fame!

I dont think there was much wrong with his response. What did you feel was wrong with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just about to post on this..
    At one stage a texter asked him today if HE was about to come out...
    Derek said "there isnt a closet big enough for me to come out of.... do you expect me to come out again".
    giftgrub wrote: »
    It was about psychiatrists in the UK who to try and "turn" gay men straight.Lots of angry people saying it wasn't appropriate for daytime radio.
    I think it was more the guy, Patrick, who I had a problem with.. He had a very cyncial, sarcastic, and generally dislikable way of getting his message across. He has such a chip on his shoulder you couldnt consider his analysis of the topic objective in any way.... The whole premise of his piece was that he would con his way in to seeing doctors/psychiatrists/etc who are offering these "services", and then do a hatchet job on them....

I like Derek Mooney a lot.. funny.. enthusiastic... professional... direct... , but he needs to just say that he's gay (if he is), and let the whole show move on.. Particularly if they are going to be covering as many gay items as they normally do.

tbh wrote: »
    I agree - I'm really developing a respect for him. He says what he thinks. "to those who felt it was inappropriate - get over it". Fair play to the guy, it's refreshing.

I think Mooney is great, BUT I think it's important that he declares his "interest" if he is going to be doing so many gay items on the show..

I think Mooney is great, BUT I think it's important that he declares his "interest" if he is going to be doing so many gay items on the show..

well, I wouldn't say they do a load of gay items, but even if they did, I don't think he should have to say anything tbh..moreover, I don't think he exactly makes a secret of it either. I don't think he has a pro-gay or anti-straight agenda, although he does seem to give out about Brendas husband a fair bit :)

hmmm Those texts sound random alright.. :D

One of the text items to the Mooney Show said "Damien, i dont care if you're gay or not"... LOL.. Say Damien's wife got a shock there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I heard it too and I think the item (Gay Conversion Therapy) in itself is worthy of discussion on daytime Radio One, in fact, I think Pat kenny did the very same topic only a couple of months ago.
    I would question the wisdom of Mooney feeling he has to defend himself on air to individual complainants e.g. the guy who accused him of pushing his own agenda.
    He ended up essentially saying something like 'We're Here, We're Queer, you better get used to it' (I'm paraphrasing here of course) when he made reference to the Civil Partnership Bill being signed into law by the President this week, saying that how it is in Ireland now etc.
    Of course he's right, that is how it is now, but there's no need for a Radio One presenter to drive it home like that.
    I'd be more annoyed with the many discussions and salavations over Eurovision.
    I get the impression that he's happy to be RTE's Only Gay in the Village.
    I do listen a lot and enjoy many of the topics on the show.

Why should he? Sexuality isn't an "interest". A bit of education on that sort of thing wouldn't go amiss in a lot of countries.

Why should he? Sexuality isn't an "interest". A bit of education on that sort of thing wouldn't go amiss in a lot of countries.

I meant "interest" as him having a particular point of view about such issues, not in the meaning that he took it up as a hobby..

My reasons:
    i) The show is becoming too much about whether he is or isnt...
    ii) It was add a bit of balance to his discussions of the gay issues if people knew that he was gay..

I'm not saying there is any onus on him to do so, I just think it would be better for the show.. I mean they never made Tubridy tell his audience that he is a Fianna Failer, but I also think he should ;)...

I meant "interest" as him having a particular point of view about such issues, not in the meaning that he took it up as a hobby..

My reasons:
    i) The show is becoming too much about whether he is or isnt...
    ii) It was add a bit of balance to his discussions of the gay issues if people knew that he was gay..

I'm not saying there is any onus on him to do so, I just think it would be better for the show.. I mean they never made Tubridy tell his audience that he is a Fianna Failer, but I also think he should ;)...

I'm not sure about this. I'm supportive of homosexuals, should I say that before I do an item about it on the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Jebus he is awful, I heard him today, himself and some other dope from the car industry, talking ill-informed sh1te about cars. He is very bitchy when someone cotradicts him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

syklops wrote: »
    I dont think there was much wrong with his response. What did you feel was wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with it, per se, hadn't listened to his show for ages and I just thought he was snippy! :o

I didn't give the thread the title Mooney Rant, my op was on the Liveline thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think the show is terrible and the his quiz is cringeworthy with the stupid questions that are asked.

I wonder how many fools text in at a euro a pop everyday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Slidey wrote: »
    I think the show is terrible and the his quiz is cringeworthy with the stupid questions that are asked.

I wonder how many fools text in at a euro a pop everyday?

All the radio shows these days have them stupid questions, purely to generate text income.

I disagree with you about the show, I think it's an excellent show that covers a wide range of topics and Derek isn't afraid to voice his own opinion.

I have also met him and he's a sound fella from what I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I quite like him although I'm never ever able to get through a full show.... but thats mainly because of Brenda. I think he is lightweight, but covers topics that other shows don't cover - like the birds nests, gardening, light topics. I don't want heavy radio in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His sexuality is his own business, nobody else's. Not his boss's, not his listener's, not anyone's.

So what if he's gay, bi or straight?

So what if he covers gay topics and is a gay man himself? It doesn't make it wrong, it doesn't mean his opinion doesn't count.

I listen to Matt Cooper, Mary Wilson et al talk about politics, and I don't know who they vote for.

I don't know what football team Eoin McDevitt or Ken Early support, but I still listen to Off The Ball without any problems.

The fact is this, every radio presenter could be portrayed as having an "agenda", but at the end of the day, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me, nor should it to anyone.

Sure, if I hear a presenter taking a certain "angle" on subjects it becomes a bit obvious which side of the fence they sit, and it's the same in this instance. Just another presenter with a different take on things.

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I created this thread because alot of people listen to liveline, which is then followed by Mooney, and posters often make comments about something they hear on Mooney in the Liveline thread, which is obviously off topic.

I don't know how popular mooney is among boardsies. I listen to him most days, and some days he can be interesting, and some days not.

Dont mean to put you off the show, but later on todays programme is Richie Kavannagh, of Aon Focail eile fame!

Kavanagh was cringe inducing, jaysus have we not moved on from that kind on stuff.

Mooney seemed to love it. Wonder what the vested interest was?

Myself, I like Mooney, can be very direct and abrasive, think he pissed off Professor Richard Collins last week, but in fairness he doesn't accept bull****.

Whiff of pink running through the show can be intriguing too.

No harm in that ,I say meself.

I like his show. Sometimes it's boring and I switch over but that's because I personally don't find that particular topic interesting. I like the motor segment that was on today and the wildlife segment is good too especially spring time.

A good trait that Mooney has is he knows when to shut up. He often lets some of his phone guests develop in depth conversations with the in studio guests and might not interrupt for several minutes.

Kavanagh was cringe inducing, jaysus have we not moved on from that kind on stuff.

Mooney seemed to love it. Wonder what the vested interest was?

Myself, I like Mooney, can be very direct and abrasive, think he pissed off Professor Richard Collins last week, but in fairness he doesn't accept bull****.

Whiff of pink running through the show can be intriguing too.

No fcuking harm in that ,I say meself.

What did he do to piss of Dr Richard? Was that around the time of the penguin incident, and Dr Richard was praising the security team and Dublin Zoo and Derrek pointed out that Dr Richard was a director of Dublin Zoo? I gave mooney kudos for that. He says it as he sees it. As Fred Funk said, he also knows when he does not know his subject knows when to put a sock in it. Dr Richard should follow the example some times.

Des wrote: »
    His sexuality is his own business, nobody else's. Not his boss's, not his listener's, not anyone's.

So what if he's gay, bi or straight?

So what if he covers gay topics and is a gay man himself? It doesn't make it wrong, it doesn't mean his opinion doesn't count.

I listen to Matt Cooper, Mary Wilson et al talk about politics, and I don't know who they vote for.

I don't know what football team Eoin McDevitt or Ken Early support, but I still listen to Off The Ball without any problems.

The fact is this, every radio presenter could be portrayed as having an "agenda", but at the end of the day, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me, nor should it to anyone.

Sure, if I hear a presenter taking a certain "angle" on subjects it becomes a bit obvious which side of the fence they sit, and it's the same in this instance. Just another presenter with a different take on things.

So what?

Absolutely. And its not as if they do something relating to homosexuality once or twice a week. The subject has only come up about once when I was listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There was a chicken and egg discussion and Dr Richard was pontificating big time.

Mooney kept blowing holes through his theses, and the good Dr. got a tad frosty I could tell.

Dr Richard was praising the security team and Dublin Zoo and Derrek pointed out that Dr Richard was a director of Dublin Zoo? I gave mooney kudos for that..

I didn't. Dr. Richard was on to talk about something else - just happened that the penguin story was in the news that day.

Mooney asked him for his views on the topic, and of course Dr. Richard said (as did every other commentator that day) that security were onto it very quickly etc. etc. and Derek pointed out that he was a director of the zoo.

However it's not like the doc was ever claiming otherwise, and it's not like he was trying to hide it. Mooney knew he was a director of the zoo - that's why he asked the question in the first place.
    I thought it was a pretty sneaky thing to do, tbh.

I thought Mooney threw the dig in when Dr. Richard praised the security of Dublin Zoo. Derek immediately, like I did, thought it was a stupid comment to make as clearly they weren't doing their job properly in the first place when the animal was stolen.

There was a chicken and egg discussion and Dr Richard was pontificating big time.

Mooney kept blowing holes through his theses, and the good Dr. got a tad frosty I could tell.

What day was that? I would love to listen to the Podcast. I dont like Dr Richard. He comes across as a complete know it all.
    I didn't. Dr. Richard was on to talk about something else - just happened that the penguin story was in the news that day.

Mooney asked him for his views on the topic, and of course Dr. Richard said (as did every other commentator that day) that security were onto it very quickly etc. etc. and Derek pointed out that he was a director of the zoo.

However it's not like the doc was ever claiming otherwise, and it's not like he was trying to hide it. Mooney knew he was a director of the zoo - that's why he asked the question in the first place.
    I thought it was a pretty sneaky thing to do, tbh.

It seems ironic to me that in the other Mooney thread people were suggesting that Mooney should make his sexuality clear when talking on certain subjects, as he may have a vested interest. Is this not exactly the same thing?

I never said Dr Richard denied it, but I would have thought he might say something like "Well Derek, many of your listeners may not know but i am a Director of Dublin Zoo and have always been proud of my position and of the tremendous work that is done at Dublin Zoo, and in my opinion the Security Team acted with professionalism and expediency".

That would have given the opinion and all the facts, instead of it seeming like Derek 'caught' him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I must admit I have great time for him but Brenda Donoghue and the other two goons who do the wildlife segment really bug the cr*p out of me.

He's the only one who speaks up for the people who didn't lose the run of themselves during the boom and gets quite annoyed with the smugas*ed "experts" insisting that everyone in the country did.

To be honest a little of the camp banter he goes on with can be quite funny especially if Brian Kennedy is on. AND as a Eurovision fan, I love the way he gets all Fanboy about it.

Having our very own Dale Winton is no bad thing....

• Advertisement

It seems ironic to me that in the other Mooney thread people were suggesting that Mooney should make his sexuality clear when talking on certain subjects, as he may have a vested interest. Is this not exactly the same thing?

well, I was one of the ones saying that he shouldn't have to make his sexuality clear, so for me it's more consistent than ironic :)

it's like this for me. Say George Lee was still a TD. And say they brought him in to talk about a new economics degree class in DIT, because of his background in economics. Now lets say that on the same day, Enda Kenny made some kind of newsworthy statement. Derek asks George what he thinks of the statement and George says he agrees with it. Derek then points out "well of course you have a vested interest because you're a member of Fine Gael".

Ehhh derek - the only reason you asked the guy the question in the first place is because he's in fine gael. Like the only reason Derek asked Dr. Richard the question in the first place is because he works in Dublin Zoo.

I never said Dr Richard denied it, but I would have thought he might say something like "Well Derek, many of your listeners may not know but i am a Director of Dublin Zoo and have always been proud of my position and of the tremendous work that is done at Dublin Zoo, and in my opinion the Security Team acted with professionalism and expediency".

Maybe he was taking it as a given that people knew that -it's not like he was trying to profit from hiding the fact. All derek needed to say was "and of course you work for Dublin Zoo" - instead he made it sound like some mad conspiracy. I'm not a great fan of the doc - find him a bit pompous - but imo he was ambushed on that day. Derek has a habit of blurting out stuff like that and then trying to pass it off as a joke - it usually is a joke, but usually he has said it before he stops to think if it's appropriate or not.

He did it while he was talking to that guy about the moving statues - made some stupid joke which the expert took at face value and answered seriously, and then derek had to point out he was only joking. I think it was the same in the zoogate affair.

threads merged

Maybe he was taking it as a given that people knew that -it's not like he was trying to profit from hiding the fact. All derek needed to say was "and of course you work for Dublin Zoo" - instead he made it sound like some mad conspiracy. I'm not a great fan of the doc - find him a bit pompous - but imo he was ambushed on that day. Derek has a habit of blurting out stuff like that and then trying to pass it off as a joke - it usually is a joke, but usually he has said it before he stops to think if it's appropriate or not.

Well maybe I am a bit out of touch because I didnt know he was a Director of the Zoo. I also didnt know Derek had been outed. I always knew he was gay, so it wasnt a surprise but I had not been aware he had been.

The Irish Times story on which Derek just mentioned regarding the Polish Drivers Licenses.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0219/1224241418104.html
    HE WAS one of Ireland’s most reckless drivers, a serial offender who crossed the country wantonly piling up dozens of speeding fines and parking tickets while somehow managing to elude the law.

So effective was his modus operandi of giving a different address each time he was caught that by June 2007 there were more than 50 separate entries under his name, Prawo Jazdy, in the Garda Pulse system. And still not a single conviction.

In the end, the vital clue to his identity lay not with Interpol or the fingerprint database but in the pages of a Polish-English dictionary. Prawo jazdy means driving licence.

In a letter dated June 17th, 2007, an officer from the Garda traffic division wrote that it had come to his attention that members inspecting Polish driving licences were noting Prawo Jazdy as the licence holder’s name.

“Prawo Jazdy is actually the Polish for driving licence and not the first and surname on the licence,” he wrote.

“Having noticed this I decided to check on Pulse and see how many members have made this mistake. It is quiet [sic] embarrassing to see that the system has created Prawo Jazdy as a person with over 50 identities.

“He can also be found on the Fixed Charge Processing System as well. This mistake needs to be rectified immediately and a memo sent to the members concerned. I also think that Garda Information Service Centre [in] Castlebar should be notified and some kind of alert put on these two words.”

In Poland, a booklet-type licence such as the one used in the Republic was phased out in 2004 and replaced with a pink, credit card-sized licence with an EU flag, the words Prawo Jazdy in the top right corner with (in admittedly smaller type) the holder’s name and personal details.

A Garda source confirmed that the issue of Polish licences being misread had arisen in 2007, but said the errors were spotted quickly and the problem had now been resolved.

It was not clear whether the confusion was due to licences simply being misread or officers being misled by their holders, he added.

To weed out any other inanimate foreign offenders who might be lurking in the digital depths, the Pulse system has since been updated, with a new section advising officers of the layout of foreign driving licences.

Notices were also sent to Garda stations alerting them to the error.

Expect the recidivist Mrs Library Card from the Czech Republic to have her cover blown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Generally a reasonable easy-listening show and Mooney takes an interest in what most people have to say. Some of the stuff on the show can be quite amusing, particularly when he (and the show's participants) haven't a clue about the topic under discussion.

Today being a prime example. He had some geezer doing some motoring-related stories. Said geezer was quoting a women's rant about 'rumble strips'. Both he and Mooney thought she was on about speed bumps.

Things can get a bit pink, as the Flutt mentioned earlier, but in fairness, Mooney's 'get over it' attitude about his sexuality has to be applauded. No big deal, no big song and dance. It's his business and that's that.

The whistle-blowing lads in their tecnicolour rubber underpants shouting 'we're here, we're queer' should take note.

Lads, nobody's interested in your sexuality. Get over it.

Things can get a bit pink, as the Flutt mentioned earlier, but in fairness, Mooney's 'get over it' attitude about his sexuality has to be applauded. No big deal, no big song and dance. It's his business and that's that.

Before having a VERY subjective discussion on Gay Conversion Therapy, Mooney said :
    "Sadly, however, certain people are holding on to the notion that homosexuality is something that can be cured."

If there is any point in Mooney discussing such issues, then he should maintain some sort of objectivity about the subject instead of giving us the answer BEFORE discussing the topic.

The whole item had the feel of "We're gay and we're proud, so dont all you straight people try and change us".... I dont care whether people are gay or straight, but I dont want either agenda forced on me during a show I normally enjoy..

• Advertisement

And in case anybody missed it on the other thread, this is the reason I like The Mooney Show... spontaneous bits of comedy... :-)

While discussing jury duty with Derek one of the guests made a comical freudian slip..

Credit to dowtchaboy for the upload

And in case anybody missed it on the other thread, this is the reason I like The Mooney Show... spontaneous bits of comedy... :-)

While discussing jury duty with Derek one of the guests made a comical freudian slip..

Credit to dowtchaboy for the upload

love that one :)

The whole item had the feel of "We're gay and we're proud, so dont all you straight people try and change us".... I dont care whether people are gay or straight, but I dont want either agenda forced on me during a show I normally enjoy..

I know this is a total aside (prepares to be slapped about by TBH) but the LOVELY Declan Buckley was interviewed for the my week section of the Sunday Times the weekend after Gay Pride and I was shocked at how behind the times his thinking was about the attitude of ordinary folk to the whole event.
    To my mind the vast majority of people don't give a continental what a persons sexual preferences are these days so making a big "deal with it" statement is a moot exercise.

just don't call him a dose and we're all good :)

I do know what you mean tho, and I have sympathy for your view, but I guess as a straight person who doesn't discriminate against gays, I don't have any experience of discrimination against gays. If you know what I mean...

300 euro to have a chimney sweep at your wedding?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Was thinking of taking the suit out meself...

I know you get a coin as well, but even so. I would do it for 100. All I need do is photoshop up a "Genuine authentic Chimney Sweeps Associatioin of Ireland" Membership card.

you posted that knowning I couldn't use it didn't you. DIDN'T YOU.

washiskin wrote: »
    To my mind the vast majority of people don't give a continental what a persons sexual preferences are these days so making a big "deal with it" statement is a moot exercise.

Interested to hear what Buckley said... From what you alluded to, he still feels like he's part of an oppressed minority??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Just about to post on this..

Derek said "there isnt a closet big enough for me to come out of.... do you expect me to come out again".

When did he come out? Was he trying to say he's gay in that line there?

Mooney hasn't officially said he's gay but he gives the hints.

He goes to the George and likes pink satin. Delicate admissions of his persuasion.

Interested to hear what Buckley said... From what you alluded to, he still feels like he's part of an oppressed minority??

From what I remember, it was a real flagwaving "We're loud & proud and just deal with it!" piece. I just sat there thinking it was an 80's flashback. The recent legislation for equal staus was passed with no riots, no mass rallies from what I saw, so hinting that people in general have a problem with Gay culture seemed a bit pointless.

I agree TBH that I have never discriminated so have no experience of discrimination against gay people but even so this comment by la Buckley seemed out of place.

Sorry this is dragging things off topic.

What is the deal with Derek?

Why is he ashamed of being gay? His attitude towards his sexuality does nothing for people with sexual problems!

Lahm wrote: »
    What is the deal with Derek?

Why is he ashamed of being gay? His attitude towards his sexuality does nothing for people with sexual problems!

why do you think he's ashamed of being gay?

tbh wrote: »
    why do you think he's ashamed of being gay?

It's this thing of him stuck in the cupboard. I know he doesn't have to say anything but it probably would be better to say it rather than have people sniffling around. His lack of identity does not help other gay people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement