Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Mooney Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lahm wrote: »
    It's this thing of him stuck in the cupboard. I know he doesn't have to say anything but it probably would be better to say it rather than have people sniffling around. His lack of identity does not help other gay people.

maybe he just feels that his private life is none of anyone elses business. Mental, I know! but he doesn't exactly make a secret of it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

tbh wrote: »
    maybe he just feels that his private life is none of anyone elses business. Mental, I know! but he doesn't exactly make a secret of it either.

When you're in the public eye you don't have a private life. If Mooney wasn't gay then why doesn't he "come out" and say it? His reluctance to do this gives rise to further speculation and presumption by the public.

When you're in the public eye you don't have a private life.

course you do, that's a ridiculous thing to say.

If Mooney wasn't gay then why doesn't he "come out" and say it?
    Why should he? Does being gay affect his ability to present a radio show?
    His reluctance to do this gives rise to further speculation and presumption by the public.
    so what?

course you do, that's a ridiculous thing to say.

Why should he? Does being gay affect his ability to present a radio show?

so what?

Everyone wants to know everything about you when you are public. He doesn't have to reveal it but people will still speculate about his genitalia. Being gay doesn't affect his presentational ability but not confirming his sexual favourites undermines him as a presenter because people won't take a man who is ashamed to admit his favourites as a decent role model to gay people.

Everyone wants to know everything about you when you are public. He doesn't have to reveal it but people will still speculate about his genitalia. Being gay doesn't affect his presentational ability but not confirming his sexual favourites undermines him as a presenter because people won't take a man who is ashamed to admit his favourites as a decent role model to gay people.

you say he's not "admitting" it because he's ashamed of it. I reckon that suggests you think it's something to be ashamed of.

I respect him more, not less, because he doesn't feel the need to pander to people who think it's their right to know what he does in the privacy of his own bedroom - maybe that's just me tho.

It would be easier for him if he admitted it.

I don't think it's shameful. His attitude is shameful. He seems to have a problem with being gay and it really isn't an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

It would be easier for him if he admitted it.

I don't think it's shameful. His attitude is shameful. He seems to have a problem with being gay and it really isn't an issue.

I'm a bit gobsmacked at your reasoning here, Lahm.

Easier for him how? I don't see him being discriminated against in any shape or form either professionally or publicly.
    It's none of my, yours or anyone elses business what orientation the man is and I feel that it's insulting for people to expect him to state it. It doesn't make any difference to how he goes about his job, which he is very good at both radio & TV.

I know he doesn't have to reveal what he does with his genitals to the public but...

...people will keep jamming his phones with texts until he tells the public he's gay.

I know he shouldn't have to but he'll be pestered until he does. He has created a furore with his bitchiness. He is making an issue of his sexuality. We know Pat Kenny is married, Ryan tubridy is going out with the former Rose of Tralee etc. It is not unheard of for the public to want to know these types of things. But Mooney gets floppy around the subject.

I remember Ryan Tubridy saying about keeping his personal life private. Once the story broke that he was dating that Rose a few photos appeared but that was it really. No one care about it anymore. Mooney has chosen to keep quiet which he can do if he wants but it doesn't help. If he "came out" then there wouldn't be a problem at all trying to get him out.

There are plenty of well known gay people. Why is Mooney hiding? If he isn't hiding could he not have said a long time ago thast he was straight and end all speculation? Maybe he can't bear to tell his Mother and the rest of the family after all these years. Has he created a false impression to his family that he is straight and now can't bear to reveal his true identity?

Will the real Mooney please stand out. He doesn't have to but his klife will be a hell of a lot easier. It can't be good keeping all this in. He says he frequents the George and I'm sure he has to sneak his way in for fear of being snapped at the door and appearing on the front page of the Sun.

Mooney can make his own mind up. I think he has dragged it on so long now that all the dogs in the street know. It seems Mooney is the only one who hasn't been informed.

please post details of your salary in this thread. I've a right to know, you've posted in public forum. I'm not going to stop pestering you until you do.

:) sounds dumb, right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

In other Mooney related news-

I think the fill-in, Shay, is quite good. He's similar to Mooney himself in many ways. I wonder will Mooney have Marian Finucane like holidays?

I know he doesn't have to reveal what he does with his genitals to the public but...

...people will keep jamming his phones with texts until he tells the public he's gay.

:eek: Are you serious?! Only some narrowminded windbag would resort to this!

There are plenty of well known gay people. Why is Mooney hiding? If he isn't hiding could he not have said a long time ago thast he was straight and end all speculation? Maybe he can't bear to tell his Mother and the rest of the family after all these years. Has he created a false impression to his family that he is straight and now can't bear to reveal his true identity?

Once again - how is that any on anyone elses business?!
    He says he frequents the George and I'm sure he has to sneak his way in for fear of being snapped at the door and appearing on the front page of the Sun.

Bulls*it ! As if the redtops camp outside every gay/gay friendly bar in town!

please post details of your salary in this thread. I've a right to know, you've posted in public forum. I'm not going to stop pestering you until you do.

:) sounds dumb, right?

Mooney is out there. I amn't.

People don't care what I earn but people do care about what Mooney and Tubridy and Kenny etc earn.

They want to know who Mooney shags but they won't care about me or you (unless you're famous!).

washiskin wrote: »
    :eek: Are you serious?! Only some narrowminded windbag would resort to this!

People are obsessed with famous faces. No more so than Mooney. He has a secret and people want to get him out. Some people are like that. People buy VIP and Hello and OK magazines. They love these people. They follow them and hound them and stalk them and maybe the guy is getting texts into studio everyday. Who knows? Mooney knows.

washiskin wrote:
    Bulls*it ! As if the redtops camp outside every gay/gay friendly bar in town!

They would be interested in snaps of Derek locking lips with a man. They won't "camp" (excuse the pun) outside but because Mooney is keeping secrets he might feel people are watching his backside, everywhere he goes...

This is starting to smack of The Face v. Jason Donovan :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

dambarude wrote: »
    In other Mooney related news-I think the fill-in, Shay, is quite good. He's similar to Mooney himself in many ways. I wonder will Mooney have Marian Finucane like holidays?

god I wish they would feed marian to the sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Definitely. For a while there he was doing his radio show all week, followed by that Fame program on Sunday. And when that finished he had The Big Money Game on Saturdays. In fairness to him he deserves the holidays.

He certainly does. And I agree that Shay Byrne who's doing his show is really good. He used to do that what's happening on the weekend slot on Drivetime and if I'm not mistaken he had a music show for a little while - was it John Creedon's slot when he was on holidays? Anyway it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

People are obsessed with famous faces. No more so than Mooney. He has a secret and people want to get him out. Some people are like that. People buy VIP and Hello and OK magazines. They love these people. They follow them and hound them and stalk them and maybe the guy is getting texts into studio everyday. Who knows? Mooney knows.

They would be interested in snaps of Derek locking lips with a man. They won't "camp" (excuse the pun) outside but because Mooney is keeping secrets he might feel people are watching his backside, everywhere he goes...
    Now this is not the direction a thread on the radio forum should or shall go. Theres probably another forum on Boards for that so please keep on topic or I will close the thread

Family Flow..... A company that tells you to make your bed. I can see that making a fortune in a recession.

http://www.familyflow.ie/
    website aint great, seems like they forgot what font they used to create the menu buttons..

Brenda on about her fkn kids again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I love Shay's anecdotes about his life and family. It makes him seem like a real person not a celebrity earning an obscene amount of money.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy.. It really was incredible how seamlessly he took over from Mooney...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just checking the mooney show part of the rte website and found this. I loled being honest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    Please DO NOT send any live, dead or skeletal remains of any creature whatsoever to Mooney Goes Wild.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just checking the mooney show part of the rte website and found this. I loled being honest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    Please DO NOT send any live, dead or skeletal remains of any creature whatsoever to Mooney Goes Wild.

I bet they put that on the site because some weirdo sent them in something asking them to identify it. I can just imagine it:

Dear Derek and old woman,

I found this lying on my lawn and I dont know what it is. Can you identify it?

Regards,

Ivor Nolife

Dear Ivor,

You sent us an alive common adult brown Rat, which almost starved to death and/or suffocated in the box you sent him to us in. Derek has been taken to hospital for treatment for the bites the creature gave him when he opened the box. Brenda is being treated for shock as it attacked her, and Dr Richard wants to take the rat to Dublin Zoo, and feed it to one of the snakes.

Please DO NOT EVER again send any live, dead or skeletal remains of any creature whatsoever to Mooney Goes Wild.

Yours sincerely,

Mooney Producer.

to: mooney@rte.ie

Dear sir/madam,

It has come to our attention that recently a box containing a brown rat was opened by a member of your staff, namely Brenda O'Donoghue. We can only imagine the levels of stress this caused.
    Please take steps to ensure that no rats are frightened like this ever again.

sincerely,

A penthouse apartment with no kitchen for 690,000 euro.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

syklops wrote: »
    A penthouse apartment with no kitchen for 690,000 euro.

:confused:

this is like some horrible flashback of the bubble

This one wants to put about 50k with it to 'update' it. A mate of mine is trying to get a Mortgage for 50k to buy an entire apartment.

Some people are still living, pardon the pun, in the clouds.

Make them stop please

do people never learn:(

Sounds like a perfect apartment for Cowen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Was listening today and in fairness after a round of golf was a tad canned,but.

This gimp who was apparently down in Australia and apparently had blagged his way into a two year visa was putting out a fcuking hairbrained 'charridee' scheme .

Something about going around Ireland on Eurons 10 per diem:eek:

Somebody please tell me where do these gimps come from?

Do these fcukers expect the working public to support their goddamn awful schemes?

Have these goons the brass neck to think that they can plawmaus the hard pressed working people to support them and let them swan around the kip under the 'charridee' guise.

This gimp apparently swanned around Australia on a thick neck ticket, contributed nothing and thinks he can come back and take the Irish taxpayer for a ride.

I say go and get a job you waster and stop riding on the wave of public sympathy and actually contribute something

:mad: Total fcuking jerks.

:D sure it wasn't whiskey you were drinking flutt? that high-tension stuff can bring out the worst in a man!

Something about going around Ireland on Eurons 10 per diem:eek: Somebody please tell me where do these gimps come from?

Go way outa that, you're just raging that you didnt think of it first.. :D

That gimp riled me up big time.

Couch surfing!!! Go get a job buddy and do sommat useful.

Too many of these wasters infesting the workforce.

Weed the fookers out.

That gimp riled me up big time.

Couch surfing!!! Go get a job buddy and do sommat useful.

Too many of these wasters infesting the workforce.

Weed the fookers out.

He sounded very cocky, I was waiting for Derek to take a few gentle swipes like he does on occasion. No luck there though.

Christ almighty the woman on now about the theatre sounds like she is one of those people who is fascinated with everything in life.

What's this I hear about NíLamhna going over to Austria with the hubby on RTE business.

Did I hear that right?

What's this I hear about NíLamhna going over to Austria with the hubby on RTE business. Did I hear that right?

Shay said at the start that the last time he filled in for Derek, Eanna was just after coming back from holidays... And he said, coincidentally that he was filling in for her again, and she was just back from holidays again... though he may have been talking in jest.

Shay said at the start that the last time he filled in for Derek, Eanna was just after coming back from holidays... And he said, coincidentally that he was filling in for her again, and she was just back from holidays again... though he may have been talking in jest.

Hopefully she wasn't on RTE business with the hubby:eek:

Must check that out.

• Advertisement

Well I would condone RTE buying the ticket for her with two conditions ...

i) it's one way..
    ii) she takes fellow "professor of fukn everything", Richard Collins,with her.

banged off an e-mail to Mooney at RTE.ie looking for clarity.

Won't hold my breath:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

Eanna, Mooney & Richard etc. are continuously going on about climate change & the environment.

If they are so concerned maybe they should consider whether jumping on a plane to see some architecture, gardens or to swim with sharks is really necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

So where is Derek today???

Greenman wrote: »
    So where is Derek today???

Nasal congestion. Apparently there's a lot of it going around Montrose.

banged off an e-mail to Mooney at RTE.ie looking for clarity.

Won't hold my breath:P

No response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

No response.

I suppose you could always ring Joe:)

Adam and eve versus darwanism on the show today. hehehe radio GOLD

Lads what do you think of Shay Bryne filling in for derek. Is derek on holidays ?

Recovering from a back operation... he's not bad, could tone down the faux enthusiasm a bit though.

Recovering from a back operation... he's not bad, could tone down the faux enthusiasm a bit though.

Oh right. Not as serious as it sounds pressume. Derek has decided to ring his own show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement