Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Mooney Discussion

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No, fairly minor I'm advised.

Where did this geezer Byrne spring form... never heard of him before.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Since when does derek music on his show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Seems like the fúckers aren't brave enough to mention how Steely Dan got their name :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God this wan is a pain in the ass...

The Swiss ambassador sounds like great fun..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why what did he say?

I missed the radio today. Work got in the way which really annoyed me. No Josephine, and no Mooney. Grr. :mad:

You're gonna have to give up that job so you can devote your full attention to the radio.... He was just bright and uplifting... He made the decision himself to get an electric car (for just 11k) and drive it round instead of their 50k BMWs... Guy just had a really good attitude...

swiss_car1.jpg

Refreshing to see someone putting the country and the environment first.. instead of the obligatory milking of the system for every penny that you get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You're gonna have to give up that job so you can devote your full attention to the radio.... He was just bright and uplifting... He made the decision himself to get an electric car (for just 11k) and drive it round instead of their 50k BMWs... Guy just had a really good attitude...

swiss_car1.jpg

Refreshing to see someone putting the country and the environment first.. instead of the obligatory milking of the system for every penny that you get here.

Ill have a word with the boss and try to get him to understand that liveline and Mooney are more important. He wont like hearing it, but its the truth. If he continues on with this deadline craic Ill have to just give it up. He can start pushing his own pencils around.

Was this the Irish Ambassador to Sweden, or the Swedish Ambassador to Ireland?

He sounds like good craic alright. Shame there aren't a few more like him. Also shame his kind of mentality isn't rewarded.

syklops wrote: »
    Was this the Irish Ambassador to Sweden, or the Swedish Ambassador to Ireland?

Look closer at the door of the car.. Swiss ;)
    Swiss Ambassador to Ireland, AFAIK

Have to say, Mooney has been very funny over the last few weeks... Was just thinking there, when RTE finally cop on that Tubridy has to leave Gerry Ryan's old job, and Mooney would be a great replacement...

The man has loads of enthusiasm for the job... he's funny, grounded, intelligent... and has a genuine empathy for his callers... Just leave Brenda Donohue and the "know it all "wildlife whack-jobs behind, and he would be great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Mooney just suggested pay cuts in RTE!! he said he would be glad to work for €100k.
    Fair play to him, not afraid to tackle the elephant in the room.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Mooney for Prime Time?! :P

dambarude wrote: »
    Mooney for Prime Time?! :P

Or Mooney for newstalk if he keeps this up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Poly wrote: »
    Or Mooney for newstalk if he keeps this up?

I didn't think of that side of it:D

He's nearly as good as Vincent Browne at hounding people. He's much more coherent about it though!

Never really rated him as a presenter, but he’s just gone up in my estimation, it’s the first time I ever heard anyone on RTE addressing salaries.

He might want to watch himself in the canteen, Kenny, tubridy, finucane, & duffy are going to be peeved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mooney just suggested pay cuts in RTE!! he said he would be glad to work for €100k.
    Fair play to him, not afraid to tackle the elephant in the room.

How much does he currently earn get ?

I'd be glad to work for €100k myself.

Never really rated him as a presenter, but he’s just gone up in my estimation, it’s the first time I ever heard anyone on RTE addressing salaries.

Well I've always been a fan of Derek, love his sense of humour... like that stupid mixup where he thought Shane Ross said that Cowan should be paid as much as a barman, when Ross actually said Obama... :D

He was talking about all the heads of the semi state bodies being on huge wages, and I started wondering if he would address his own wages... €242,408 in 2008... But I was impressed with how he handled it.. No dodging the subject or cutting the line (like Joe Duffy) when wages are mentioned.. He tackled it head on and said he would be prepared to work for 100k a year for the good of the country...

He also alluded to the fact that a lot of people in RTE get huge amounts of money for very little time on air... Supposedly Marian listens to the radio all week long as part of her preparation for her show, I wonder did she hear that bit..

oh and did you hear him at the start of the show... He apologised to somebody he'd met on the street and asked him for directions.. They wanted to go to Shelbourne Road, and he sent them to the Shelbourne Hotel.... (only realising his mistake when he thought about it later)... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've mentioned it before, he's the only person I've heard tackle an Economist about this "we all lost the run of ourselves" b*lls*it that's thrown around when it suits. He really went off on one.

Fair play to him, he's one of the good ones in RTE.

Isn't he one of the few salaried presenters in RTE? i.e. not a contractor, you can see why he's a bit peeved with the rest of them.

Cut them all to €100k or less, I'll bet not one of them leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Isn't he one of the few salaried presenters in RTE? i.e. not a contractor, you can see why he's a bit peeved with the rest of them.

Cut them all to €100k or less, I'll bet not one of them leaves

Well he just had a bit of a dig at the other RTE big names at the start of the show, veiled in light-heartedness of course...

"all those RTE people are paid far too much anyway..." or something along those lines.

arrggh.. missed that.. have to wait for the podcast.. I'd say he's sitting on his own in the canteen at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

OMG! he just had a real character on just there now giving him a slagging about pigeons and "two legged birds" :D It was priceless!!

My god is Brenda always in heat when she arrives at the RTE studios?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

My god is Brenda always in heat when she arrives at the RTE studios?

Must be! They're plunging her into a swimming pool today to cool her jets for her!! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Brenda puts me on live tilt listening to her. I like the show a lot but i feel like turning off when she comes blunderbussing in. They should keep her as a roving reporter on the road, good in very small doses etc but jebus not in the studio.

couldnt agree more Rounders... she barrels in to the studio with that big smokers laugh, creaming herself over any man that might happen to be in the studio.. half of the male guests must feel like Derek is pimping her out... And then nattering on about her f*kng kids....

In small doses she's fine, but longer than ten minutes is too long..

Like a cow in a china shop in the studio, way too loud, common, brassy and that fcuking accent is dire.

get rid of her.

I heard Louis Walsh today on with Derek, and my blood was boiling.. To begin with, I HATE the X Factor.. put simply, it's unfair, exploitative and simply a vehicle for Cowell to earn money off the backs off naive and impressionable young people...

On The Mooney Show last week, Louis Walsh told people that the audience vote and ONLY the audience vote would decide the four finalists on the forthcoming weekend's show.. And told everyone to vote for Mary cos she's Irish... So everybody who watches the show (encouraged by Louis's flag waving) pays their money to try to put Mary through... only to find out that she is voted out not by the audience votes, but by the judges...

So Louis is on the show today and says that he "only found out on the Thursday that the judges would have a hand in the Saturday night vote"... If he only found out AFTER, why didnt Louis call in to Mooney (who would have taken the call) on the Thursday to clarify this, lest he be considered a lying b*stard?

I would have expected Mooney to be REALLY annoyed about this as his program was used to disingenuously coax money from his listeners on a false pretense, but he effectively threw puffballs at Louis during today's interview.. (:D Joe duffy would have been proud of that one.. ) I really think the BCC should look into this..

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Nice to see the x factors radio show has it's own thread which is exactly why I dont listen to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I dont know why but when he comes on after Duffy, for some reason, the words "Coooooo-eeeeeeee!! its Moooooonnnnneeeyyyyyy!!" pop into my head...WTF??? :confused: He's never said that to my knowledge...

Am I going mad??

Has anyone else noticed his campness has gone stratospheric in the past year or so?

Don't know about the campness, but it definitely seems to have pitched it's core theme towards so called 'reality shows'

Rarely does a show I happen to tune into not have some kind of 'reality' aspect to it.

This is either reporting on other such drivel but bell-voice Brenda promoting some inane 'contest' of their own.

It used to have a passing interest for a well educated,socially aware, gentleman like myself, but I rarely tune in now.

If I want that kind of rubbish, I will buy the Red Tops and listen to Tom Dunne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

couldnt agree more Rounders... she barrels in to the studio with that big smokers laugh, creaming herself over any man that might happen to be in the studio.. half of the male guests must feel like Derek is pimping her out... And then nattering on about her f*kng kids....

In small doses she's fine, but longer than ten minutes is too long..
    lads I can't understand why brenda is on the show so much, when katriona McFadden is around and about the studio. That northern accent is far nicer to listen to then Brenda's one. Has she returned since the bye election in donegal yet ?

Advertisement