Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking motorbike in Dublin city centre

• 21-07-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Howdy.

So im starting a job in a couple of weeks in Dublin(Amien St), theres no where in the office to park my bike so looks like i will have to park it else where, i have a decent lock & a brake lock too, but am really worried about just locking my bike on the st(was thinking of parking it in Connelly station somewhere & locking it to a pole, close to some cameras).

brothers bike got nicked from the bank he works in underground car-park there last year.

Anybody got any advice, experiences(good or bad) on doing this?

am i just being paranoid

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Almax chain attached to the frame and a lampost. Bikes not going anywhere fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

You've just reminded me! Would any of the Dublin locals park their bike over night in Fleet Street carpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have parked my bike at the Parlament St end of Temple bar loads if times without incident, also at the lot beside Pearse St Garda station.

I will always leave it infront of CCTV or in view of a sit down resturaunt. Never down a side street or away from the general public and also will chain both wheels and frame. Scumbags will always go for the least secure machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Always make sure that it's locked to something that's in the ground e.g. lamp post, sign etc. otherwise it can easily be taken. Not to sure about areas around Amiens St. Somewhere it's in view of a camera would probably be best although this wouldn't be much consolation if it did happen to get robbed. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

No harm in asking if you can park in the North Star Hotel carpark on a longterm basis (enterance in under the railway bridge on Amien St.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

It'll probably be fine if you have a decent lock & chain, and something properly solid to chain it to. Be careful about chaining to signposts, some can simply be lifted out vertically. The only other issue is whether you can park it in such a way that it won't cause obstruction to the public. It's illegal to park on a pavement but you're very unlikely to get any bother unless the bike is causing an obstruction.

If you're going to park in the same place evey day, equip yourself with a Series III chain & squire lock from these guys;
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

when i use to work in rathmines i parked my bike in the garda station car park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭gipi

There are usually a few bikes parked on the pavement at Talbot St - busy area, lots of traffic and pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

I have parked my bike at the Parlament St end of Temple bar loads if times without incident, also at the lot beside Pearse St Garda station.
    Pearse St Garda station is the safest place you can park a bike in Dublin. I WOULD NOT PARK IT OVERNIGHT IN TEMPLEBAR. Even at that area off Parliament Street in front of the Kebab shop. Temple bar is always full of drunken stags etc and who get the bright idea of sitting on your bike for a " lauf " and in their drunkardness loose balance and knock it over :o I know, it happened to my brother's bike.
    gipi wrote: »
    There are usually a few bikes parked on the pavement at Talbot St - busy area, lots of traffic and pedestrians.
    Had my bike vandalised off Talbot St, pushed over and screen ripped off. Lots of junkies hanging out there these days for some reason.

Pearse St Garda station or chain it up at bicycle stands near the taxi rank on College Green or the bottom of Grafton St. Taxi men are 24 hours a day queing at the rank, they'll tell a scumbag to f**k off if they see dirtbags getting up to trouble ( well the Irish taxi men anyway ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Pearse St Garda station is the safest place you can park a bike in Dublin. I WOULD NOT PARK IT OVERNIGHT IN TEMPLEBAR. Even at that area off Parliament Street in front of the Kebab shop. Temple bar is always full of drunken stags etc and who get the bright idea of sitting on your bike for a " lauf " and in their drunkardness loose balance and knock it over :o I know, it happened to my brother's bike.

Had my bike vandalised off Talbot St, pushed over and screen ripped off. Lots of junkies hanging out there these days for some reason.

Pearse St Garda station or chain it up at bicycle stands near the taxi rank on College Green or the bottom of Grafton St. Taxi men are 24 hours a day queing at the rank, they'll tell a scumbag to f**k off if they see dirtbags getting up to trouble ( well the Irish taxi men anyway ).

I never had a bike damaged or tampered with in the last three years I have been parking off Temple Bar, I always chain both wheels and the frame to a fixture so it can't be knocked over. The bike is rough, ie saggle ripped, tank well scratched dinted so I probably wouldn't notice if drunks were messing with it or not. I wouldn't leave the Gixr there for love nor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

outside pearse street garda station does the job for me....no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Depends on the bike.

If 'desirable' then perhaps I'd risk outside a police station - otherwise I wouldn't repeat-park on the street in town.

Lost a CBR 600 through portable oxy/acetylene set. It'd take 10 secs to cut through any chain you can buy with such a kit. The more easily available and simpler to use battery-powered angle grinder (with a 1mm cutting disc) is a threat too. It'd through any chain you can buy in around the same time - albeit with more noise (not a big issue given the speed of exit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have to bear in mind the theft risk and the morons-f**king-with-it risk.

I have had the latter in Temple Bar, not a desirable bike but just something some drunk moron thought he would have a laugh f**king around with.

I used to work within the walls of one of Dublin's tourist attractions, one mid-morning I looked out the window only to see some 500lb Yank female attempting to swing her leg over my CBR600... :eek: of course by the time I got out there they were gone, and they wouldn't have given a crap anyway. Got an alarm fitted soon after, not to discourage thieves but just the imbeciles who think a parked motorcycle is public property :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What part of amiens street? Could you park it around by store street garda station? It's a bad area for junkies and scummers so I would invest in the 2m almax chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What part of amiens street? Could you park it around by store street garda station? It's a bad area for junkies and scummers so I would invest in the 2m almax chain.
    The d!ckheads that run Dublin council actually removed the bicycle parking spot in front of Store St garda station :mad: for " asthetic reasons ". Like Pearse St garda station, it was one of the safest places to park a bike.
    If you have to leave it overnight in town, leave it at Pearse St garda station or a 24 hour taxi rank in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Bad area for parking up round Amiens Street. Chaining it to something solid outside Store Street Garda station is your best bet. Wouldn't leave it overnight or anything but it should be fine while you're at work. Get an alarm fitted too, as mentioned earlier, if nothing else it'll stop fat tourists sitting on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Zico wrote: »
    Get an alarm fitted too, as mentioned earlier, if nothing else it'll stop fat tourists sitting on it!

Or at least give them a heart attack if they do! :D

Advertisement