Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great fresh bread swindle: Tesco ad that 'misleads' shoppers is banned

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

An add stating that fresh bread was baked at Tesco outlets had to be removed because of misleading the public.

Apparently the add ststed that fresh bread was baked in srore when in fact it was pre baked elsewhere and heated up at their stores.

Glad to see the advertising watchdogs do their job.

I am sure there are plenty of stores in this country doing the same type of carry on and getting away with it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296402/Tesco-ad-misleads-shoppers-freshness-bread-banned.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most supermarkets that claim to have their own in store bakery usually only get this "par-baked" bread and cakes and reheat them to finish off the cooking. it was never considered baking the bread as it is already baked to a level that it can be eaten much the same as the cuisine de france breads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Totally agree, I was surprised all supermarkets were allowed to called it baked as it is 'browned' in the shop.

I thought there was a loophole as they said baked rather than 'made in store'.

I was surprised to see the Superquinn doesn't make any bread in store either, the girl out there says everything comes in frozen too and the sponge cakes are made up on the day using fresh cream and long life sponges.

Still tastes lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh if it tastes ok who gives a ****.

Why do people care what companies say in ads? As long as they show the right price so I know what to pay if I want it I really dont care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Good old Daily Mail; over exaggerating trivial matters since nineteen-dicketty-four. Is the bread fresh? Yes. Is it baked in store? Yes. Is it baked from scratch in store? No, that's the bit the ASA had a problem with.

Pretty much every shop, deli, supermarket, or restaurant that has fresh bread baked in store uses the Cuisine de France style part-baked bread that is finished off in store. It's still baked there (put in a hot oven, that's baking), and it's fresh, so what if it's not made from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

jor el wrote: »
    Good old Daily Mail; over exaggerating trivial matters since nineteen-dicketty-four.

It's still baked there (put in a hot oven, that's baking), and it's fresh, so what if it's not made from scratch.

As much as I hate the Daily Fail, I disagree with the above. Having bread baked in a bakery in store makes a HUGE difference to the quality of the product as anyone who shops in Superquinn will know. They have actual bakeries with actual bakers - the product differs slightly in each store and the bakers will add slightly different ingredients to cakes and such depending on the store and the day. Some stores bake products which other stores do not. It also means that the loafs of bread are not all identical. Much prefer freshly baked in store rather than pre-baked in a factory, chilled, stored, transported and then heated up in store.

• Advertisement

An add stating that fresh bread was baked at Tesco outlets had to be removed because of misleading the public.

Also I just looked at the ad - the problem is not just that they say baked in store, but they "Baked from scratch in our store bakery" which is a big fat Tesco lie. (at least in 2/3 of their stores)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It might depend on your definition of "baked" I guess. If it's not pre-baked but simply arrives in the store ready for the oven, then saying that it's baked fresh in-store is not misleading.

However saying, "Baked from scratch" gives the impression that it was *prepared* from scratch and I would argue that's misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Stekelly wrote: »

Why do people care what companies say in ads? As long as they show the right price so I know what to pay if I want it I really dont care.

I care. I want people with whom I deal to be truthful.

If I pay a premium for organic produce, I want to know that it is organic; if I choose free-range eggs, I want to know that the chickens live outside battery cages; if I choose a vegetarian product, I want to know that it is free of animal product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Good old Daily Mail; over exaggerating trivial matters since nineteen-dicketty-four. Is it baked from scratch in store? No, that's the bit the ASA had a problem with.

you mean the flour used is not milled in-store as well :eek:

sure, if its in the daily muck it must be true:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eightyfish wrote: »
    Having bread baked in a bakery in store makes a HUGE difference to the quality of the product as anyone who shops in Superquinn will know.
    Maybe you missed this post
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was surprised to see the Superquinn doesn't make any bread in store either, the girl out there says everything comes in frozen too

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe you missed this post

Sorry I did miss that. It's not true, though, they are the only Irish supermarket to have actual bakeries and bakers in every store. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

You might care if you were an old fashioned Baker, baking from scratch in your own bakery and then you had tescos 2 minutes up the road pretending to do what you do but charging far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I used to work as a manager for superquinn and all the larger stores had their own bakeries with qualified bakers baking the vast majority of breads from scratch.

The newer and smaller express sites that opened were kitted out with bakeries similar to cuisine de frances setup - ie they arrived in part baked and were finished off in store.

Obviously this could have changed in the mean time but if you were talking to anyone in the newer sites they would have said all bread came in pre baked as thats the situation in those stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nolimits wrote: »
    You might care if you were an old fashioned Baker, baking from scratch in your own bakery and then you had tescos 2 minutes up the road pretending to do what you do but charging far less.

I don't think anyone's under the impression that Tesco bake from scratch in store, or that any convenience store or deli do either. It's all part pre-baked Cuisine the France style bread that's finished in store. Tesco in the UK were claiming that it was baked from scratch in the store, which is what the ad was pulled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I don't think anyone's under the impression that Tesco bake from scratch in store

I was...

I thought they grew their own wheat, welled their water, fermented their own yeast, refined their own salt...

I'm devastated by this news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I don't think anyone's under the impression that Tesco bake from scratch in store, or that any convenience store or deli do either. It's all part pre-baked Cuisine the France style bread that's finished in store. Tesco in the UK were claiming that it was baked from scratch in the store, which is what the ad was pulled on.

even better still - all tesco UK's par baked bread is made in Clondalkin from Irish flour.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I was...

I thought they grew their own wheat, welled their water, fermented their own yeast, refined their own salt...

I'm devastated by this news.

...and they use their own equipment.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-1282.aspx

Whilst were talking about bread and false advertising -

Does anyone actually believe that Pat the Baker's bread is so fresh it's famous?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Totally agree, I was surprised all supermarkets were allowed to called it baked as it is 'browned' in the shop.

I was surprised to see the Superquinn doesn't make any bread in store either, the girl out there says everything comes in frozen too and the sponge cakes are made up on the day using fresh cream and long life sponges.

Still tastes lovely!

Sorry, the bit about Superquinn is rubbish, All stores bake their bread from scratch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    Sorry, the bit about Superquinn is rubbish, All stores bake their bread from scratch,

This is true. Mind you, you pay for it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Still tastes lovely!

I think you thinking of the Cuisine De France stuff, not the Superquinn bread.

I care. I want people with whom I deal to be truthful.

If I pay a premium for organic produce, I want to know that it is organic; if I choose free-range eggs, I want to know that the chickens live outside battery cages; if I choose a vegetarian product, I want to know that it is free of animal product.

Thats not the same as what the thread is about.

Tesco have bread. I like bread. I like the taste. I like th eprice. I eat bread. Whethe rit's baked in the store or in a bakery down the road doesnt matter a bit.

Ingredients are a different kettle of fish. Obviously you cant just make them up.

Would it make a difference if the free range chickens were in a field out the back or in a field in Roscommon? They are still free range. Theres a difference between that and saying they are free raneg but having them in cages in the basement.

Jumbo156 wrote: »

Not according to Pageant Messiah a few posts up.

Tesco have bread. I like bread. I like the taste. I like th eprice. I eat bread. Whethe rit's baked in the store or in a bakery down the road doesnt matter a bit.

That's not what this thread is about either. Tesco advertised their bread as "baked from scratch in our in-store bakery." It wasn't. They lied. They got stung. That's all there is to it really.

Oh and the Daily Mail is a rag. Horrible stinking rag. Just had to add that.

That's not what this thread is about either. Tesco advertised their bread as "baked from scratch in our in-store bakery." It wasn't. They lied. They got stung. That's all there is to it really.

I know, and my reply to that fairly inconsequencial lie was "meh". It tastes the same whether it's made or heated in store. It makes no difference to the end user.

TBH I never even knew Tesco claimed that anyway so it's a non issue.

It tastes the same whether it's made or heated in store. It makes no difference to the end user.

I don't agree with this :rolleyes: But each to their own.

I don't agree with this :rolleyes: But each to their own.
    Well no one else noticed until the article.

I fail to see how you could tell the difference between 2 ovens the bread is heated in. They are only doing the same finishing in the store that would be done in the original bakers.

To settle this we'll have to arrange something along the lines of a Pepsi Challenge... obviosly subbing the cola with breads.

Well no one else noticed until the article.

This is about an ad being pulled in the UK. Tesco here don't promote themselves as in-store bakers.
    I fail to see how you could tell the difference between 2 ovens the bread is heated in. They are only doing the same finishing in the store that would be done in the original bakers.

There's a huge difference. Just taste any fresh bread from a local bakery or Superquinn and compare it to any other bread. Just ask any professional baker, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thats not the same as what the thread is about.

This thread is about truth in advertising.

The fact that you don't care about somebody telling you lies has no bearing on my right to be told the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

The poster above said who cares what they say in ads as long as the price is right. I was pointing out one group of people that would care, in this instance Tesco were saying they baked from scratch. I'm really not sure why you quoted me :confused:

Advertisement