Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BYO Restaurants Cork

Options
  • 21-07-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where you can bring your own "gat" in restaurants in cork

Thanks
    Gemma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I really didn't think this was possible.. I know some places allow a few bottles of champagne or wine if its a special occasion and they authorise it of course but that isn't really "gat"..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Ah i meant wine really! I was just saying gat cos of the location!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Cafe Gusto and Fenns Quay both do BYOB.
    I think you need to mention it to Fenn's Quay before hand (like when booking).
    Both will chill it for you if it's white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Is that chinese place out by Togher a BYOB place?

I heard its god, but cant rmember name or location unfortunately.

/unhelpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Given that there is a pub downstairs I would doubt it somewhat.

• Advertisement

Ah i meant wine really! I was just saying gat cos of the location!!

Ha ha no I genuinely didn't think it was possible!! :eek::eek: You have just made my day! What a fantastic thing during the recession! Seriously! :D:D:D
    deRanged wrote: »
    Cafe Gusto and Fenns Quay both do BYOB.
    I think you need to mention it to Fenn's Quay before hand (like when booking).
    Both will chill it for you if it's white.

Unreal guys! Delighted you set up this thread Dixie chick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

So there are still places that do it..They used to do it before but I thought too that twas not done. The last place I heard off was the Chinese in Kinsale has it written on the door to Bring Your Own...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Seems like Taste of Thailand do it also, and I think the Four Liars do it too. Its such a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Taste of Thailand is long gone though - isn't it? Or did they just move from bridge st? They used to BYO but charged corkage from what I remember. wonder how places deal with this now that its nearly all screw caps!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

NoDice wrote: »
    Ha ha no I genuinely didn't think it was possible!! :eek::eek: You have just made my day! What a fantastic thing during the recession! Seriously! :D:D:D

Unreal guys! Delighted you set up this thread Dixie chick!

but we're not in a recession any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Don't these places charge an uncorking fee or something along those lines?

If not then its a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Karmella wrote: »
    Taste of Thailand is long gone though - isn't it? Or did they just move from bridge st? They used to BYO but charged corkage from what I remember. wonder how places deal with this now that its nearly all screw caps!? :p

gone years now !! as far as i know its a gourmet burger place now ( a very nice one too , onion rings to die for )

Trashbat wrote: »
    Is that chinese place out by Togher a BYOB place?

I heard its god, but cant rmember name or location unfortunately.

/unhelpful

Above the Hawthorn, by The Lough. Totally seperate business to the pub, they are leasing the restaurant space from the pub.

mawk wrote: »
    but we're not in a recession any more

God was there really a good reason for this post? :rolleyes::) Fair enough... *clears throat and starts again*

Thank you Dixie Chick for starting this thread. The BYO is a great idea and I genuinely didn't know about it. It's a fantastic thing during a time most people are finding it hard to get by financially and want to have a nice evening out. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Dont they charge corkage though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I couldn't see restaurants not having a corkage charge, I read that the corkage charge is usually somewhere in the €10 - €25 range per bottle.

I was guessing those prices were aimed at hotels more than restaurants though as it would be a bit steep if they charged somewhere in that price range for a bottle that they just open and leave on the table in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

Hi, sorry for reopening this just curious which restaurants still do BYO and does Fenns quay still do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Four Liars still do afaik usually about 5euro for a bottle of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm totally clueless here, does the byo thing just apply to wine? I know people aren't imagining any thing like the Leisureplex thing where you could byob a few years ago, which got shut down by the Gardaí pretty fast. Legally, what's the difference? I know the restaurants would have licences, but strictly speaking that only applies to selling drinks. Are they ok with restaurants doing byo because it's a relaxed setting and people are less likely to be 'gatting on' and messing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm totally clueless here, does the byo thing just apply to wine? I know people aren't imagining any thing like the Leisureplex thing where you could byob a few years ago, which got shut down by the Gardaí pretty fast. Legally, what's the difference? I know the restaurants would have licences, but strictly speaking that only applies to selling drinks. Are they ok with restaurants doing byo because it's a relaxed setting and people are less likely to be 'gatting on' and messing?

It's much easier to get a wine licence than a beer licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement